Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike cover and saddle bag suggestions? (Read 89 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike cover and saddle bag suggestions?
07/08/15 at 12:44:24

I'm looking for a bike cover and also saddle bags (and/or back rest bag).
Would be very interested in any of your suggestions.

The bike cover should be water resistant.

Would prefer saddle bags to be water resistant and easily removable.  My bike has the standard Suzuki back rest along with the rear rack.

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.
Ron G

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Bike cover and saddle bag suggestions?
Reply #1 - 07/08/15 at 14:40:24

Be careful not to get lured in by the cheap covers.  I recently got a TMS cover from Amazon and the quality was just awful.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 07/08/15 at 14:41:45

A couple of points about covers...

There are basically 2 types. Lightweight weather resistant covers which are made of a nylon tent-type material that will protect your ride from leaves and dust and debris...and somewhat protect from rain. They "weep" under heavy rain conditions. Retail about $28

Type 2 is a cotton linen lined type similar in construction to a waterproof windbreaker jacket. These are much heavier construction and are said to be "weather proof" as they will not allow any moisture in. The also wont let any moisture OUT because they dont "breathe", so if you use this kind of cover....dont put your bike away wet. These cost about double what the standard nylon covers go for at about $60.

Both types come in 3 sizes...dont let anyone fool you into thinking they are made to be "bike specific". Unless you are paying well over $150 from a dealer, they arent. Med is for scooters and dirt bikes, Large fits our bikes and even larger cruisers, and Xlarge are for full dress type rides. They are all available everywhere online (sleazeBay and Amazon) or you can just go pick one up at Wallyworld (WalMart). If you want a choice of colors, use the internet.

Now....Bags. I spent 3 weeks looking at saddle bags. I wanted real leather at first, because that is way cooler and very "cowboy-ish"...I ride horses. After seeing the prices, I dropped my expectations.
The PVC based "faux leather" are actually very nice. I cant tell that mine arent leather. The material is water PROOF, UV sunlight resistant to fading and many have heat shielding material on the bottom edge. Here are the bags I got off eBay.

The Search engine is your friend here. The default time frame is just 2 weeks, so make sure you set it for 6 months at least to find your info. That being said, this thread is just a week old and has the info you want. Searching before asking is a generally accepted practice here Cool
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1435793734

my_bags_001.JPG

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #3 - 07/08/15 at 14:49:32

The cost was less than $90 shipped. They are a bit big for the Savage and I am moving the turn signals to compensate. Anything 14" wide or smaller should fit without mods.
Zip off bags are a great innovation and very handy. Also, I'd recommend quick release buckles (mine have both). It sucks having to use the standard buckle-type, especially if you have 2 or even 3 of them per bag. They are inexpensive enough to allow for a matching fork bag Cool

"Straight -drop" bags (like western saddlebags) dont seem to have the issue with the turn signals getting in the way, but that may be because these are generally smaller bags. They look great on the Savage as well.

my_fork_bag.JPG

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 07/08/15 at 14:52:43

chzeckmate wrote on 07/08/15 at 14:40:24:
Be careful not to get lured in by the cheap covers.  I recently got a TMS cover from Amazon and the quality was just awful.  

The Walmat lightweight cover looks to be a good quality and the bunjee/elastic at the bottom seemed well sewn. What issue did you have with your cover Chzeck? Was it sew-quality? Fitment? Leakage?

IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Reply #5 - 07/08/15 at 14:59:34

Heavy duty motorcycle cover from autozone. Works great and holds up to snow, rain, wind. I like mine alot. I think it was 40$

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 07/08/15 at 15:03:43

btw, when on Amazon ( I shop there A LOT) , always go with the high user rated items Wink

This one has 970 reviews with a solid 4 out of 5 stars.
http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-MC-904-03-LG-Deluxe-All-Season-Motorcycle/d...

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 07/09/15 at 07:34:09

I just bought this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU3Q6O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d...

Looks great on the bike but smaller than I expected. It's great for back and forth to work and goes on/off easy...

If I were gonna do it again tho' I'd probably get this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Dowco-50126-00-Rider-Overnight-Black/dp/B000HRX1JS/ref=...

More capacity and from the reviews the frame is stiffer...BTW, the picture shows a different bag...the Overnighter is NOT what is pictured on Amazon!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/09/15 at 07:56:30

Say, Bubba - from where did you score that great looking Sissy Bar? It looks like it was made for the S40, not some hit-or-miss aftermarket cobble job! I have had an eye out for something just like that. Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/09/15 at 08:36:40

Covered bike
Good breeze
Bike down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/09/15 at 17:00:14

Thanks for all of your help and insight!  It really narrows my search.

Ron G

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/09/15 at 19:02:09

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/08/15 at 14:52:43:
chzeckmate wrote on 07/08/15 at 14:40:24:

The Walmat lightweight cover looks to be a good quality and the bunjee/elastic at the bottom seemed well sewn. What issue did you have with your cover Chzeck? Was it sew-quality? Fitment? Leakage?

When the first good storm came along the wind pulled loose all the stitching from the straps.  They came completely off and the cover went down the street.  It also leaked...not much but enough to irritate me.  I wadded it up and tossed it in a box of other things that I'll try to fix later.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 07/09/15 at 21:32:18

HAPPYDAN wrote on 07/09/15 at 07:56:30:
Say, Bubba - from where did you score that great looking Sissy Bar? It looks like it was made for the S40, not some hit-or-miss aftermarket cobble job! I have had an eye out for something just like that. Thanks in advance!

i have what bubba has, and its the factory sissy bar. i got mine off ebay brand new as a closeout for $99. included the sissy bar, back pad, and side pillions, and hardware.  

post a wtb ad in the marketplace here. some folks don't like them or pull them off to bob their ride.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:29:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike cover and saddle bag suggestions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.