Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag recommendation? (Read 122 times)
amx4080
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado
Saddlebag recommendation?
07/01/15 at 16:35:34

Hello from a new owner of a S40.  I'm using mine for daily commuting, a 90 mile round trip, and would like to get a set of saddlebags to carry my laptop (14.5"x11") and my lunch instead of the backpack I am currently using.  The Suzuki saddle bags look too small, but no dealer locally has a set I can measure and the Suzuki site doesn't list dimensions.  My bike does have the frame to keep the saddlebags off the moving parts.  Does anyone have a recommendation for what fits and could carry what I would like to carry?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Saddlebag recommendation?
Reply #1 - 07/01/15 at 16:57:55

You got a price range or a budget you want to stay within?  Do you prefer hard or soft bags?  Will you be commuting rain or shine?  Do you need them to lock?  There are so many options.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 07/01/15 at 17:57:36

A tailbag is an easy solution for commuting - it has four clips holding it snug to the pillion, and it can hold a lot.
I have the Saddlemen TS3200 Deluxe Sport Tailbag, it costs about a hunert.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
GBG

'06 S40. Stock plus
saddlebags.

Cincinnati, OH
Reply #3 - 07/01/15 at 18:31:49

I have these, and have liked them:http://www.amazon.com/Willie-Max-Standard-Saddlebags-SB802-05/dp/B000WJ7A5C/r...

I did get lucky, and find an almost new set on Craigslist, but I was about to pull the trigger on a new pair anyway.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 07/01/15 at 19:43:46

Being that I want my Savage to keep it's "dated" (or what I call "classic") look, I wanted a set of bags with a little western/southern flair. I did not want to spend a bundle either.

Willie and Max are obviously some of the best bags out there, but they can be pricey.

I bought a set of bags off eBay after seeing pics of them on a Honda VLX and an old Kawi 500 Vulcan. They are PVC, not leather...and that had me a bit worried...but there was no need. These bags look and feel like high grade leather. They have solid plexi panels on the back to keep the area that mates up with the saddlebag brackets nice and flat. They have a treated underside for heat protection. They are zip off, with velcro on top of the zippers to hide them. They are lined inside with stiff plastic panels (not cheapo cardboard) and the have quick release straps under the traditional looking metal buckles. Oh, and they have removable handles so you can carry it like a briefcase ( I took those off). Thye come with a guarantee against fading, cracking or tearing.

All of that for about $90. I did order the larger size, so the rear turn signals are being moved down to the license plate, but all in all I am thrilled with the look and quality of these bags. I have a matching fork bag and I really like the way the bike looks with them....of course, this is ALL a matter of personal taste.

my_bags.JPG

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/01/15 at 20:25:46

I have these Willie and Max bags
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willie-and-Max-Maltese-Cross-Compact-Slant-Saddlebag-...
...and the matching fork bag/tool pouch
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willie-and-Max-Maltese-Cross-Series-Tool-Pouch-/26057...

They're the perfect size and the quality is superb but I'm thinking of selling them.  I want some glossy hard cases...Some people roll their eyes when I say that but, I just like that look what can I say.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
amx4080
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado
Reply #6 - 07/02/15 at 08:38:52

Thanks for the responses, the idea for the tail bag was not something I had in mind but it looks like it will work very well and as a bonus be transferable on different bikes.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 07/02/15 at 08:39:55

Nice bags chzech...but $150 is a bit steep for me.

I also dont get the Maltese cross stuff. I've seen hundreds of accessories from tail lights to mirrors to decals. I dunno, it just gives me the "outlaw biker" kinda vibe.

Again, a matter of personal taste. I ride a motorcycle for fun. I ride for relaxation. I like to tinker with stuff. I am definitely NOT a biker.

I wear engineer boots and a Cortec jacket with hard plates in the elbows and shoulders along with some mid-back support. It's also got reflective panels. You'll never catch me wearing denim or colors. Oh, no tats either Tongue

I'm sure some of our guys here are deep into the "biker lifestyle". Thats cool, to each their own. No offense intended.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 07/02/15 at 08:47:40

If you are still looking for bags, here is a nice set of used W&M on ebay....great condition at about half price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILLIE-and-MAX-MOTORCYCLE-SLANT-ZIPPER-UNIVERSAL-SADD...

williemaxused.JPG

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/02/15 at 08:59:59

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/02/15 at 08:39:55:
Nice bags chzech...but $150 is a bit steep for me.

I also dont get the Maltese cross stuff. I've seen hundreds of accessories from tail lights to mirrors to decals. I dunno, it just gives me the "outlaw biker" kinda vibe.

Again, a matter of personal taste. I ride a motorcycle for fun. I ride for relaxation. I like to tinker with stuff. I am definitely NOT a biker.

I wear engineer boots and a Cortec jacket with hard plates in the elbows and shoulders along with some mid-back support. It's also got reflective panels. You'll never catch me wearing denim or colors. Oh, no tats either Tongue

I'm sure some of our guys here are deep into the "biker lifestyle". Thats cool, to each their own. No offense intended.

Thanks.  The first thing I did was remove the maltese crosses.  I felt like it was too cliche (No offense meant to anyone who like them) for me.  I also wear a Cortech jacket with hard plates and full back support.  I'll admit I'm not ATGATT but I am ATGMOTT (All the gear most of the time).  I do have some tats but they're meaningful and simple...no flames, skulls, or logos. I'm a simple guy with simple tastes.  I'm shy and I prefer not to stand out.  I ride because I have a nagging compulsion to do it.  It's not a lifestyle for me.  Something about riding and working on bikes is just changes my whole mood.  When I can't ride for awhile I'm really grumpy and irritable.  I need two wheels, the open road, and the smell of fuel, oil, and exhaust regularly or I can't sleep.  

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 07/02/15 at 16:09:49

chxechmate, you and me are brothers from another mother my friend. I couldnt have put it better myself Smiley

You are quite a bit younger than I am but we seem to be cut from the same roll of duct tape lol

Wear your armor, ride safe , and keep the rubber side down my friend!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/02/15 at 19:18:44

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/02/15 at 16:09:49:
chzeckmate, you and me are brothers from another mother my friend. I couldnt have put it better myself Smiley

You are quite a bit younger than I am but we seem to be cut from the same roll of duct tape lol

Wear your armor, ride safe , and keep the rubber side down my friend!

I couldn't agree more.  In fact, I think all of us who ride and wrench compulsively are brothers born from the same mighty piston stroke of the motorcycle gods.  I can feel the common bloodline in so many ways.  From the very simple things, such as passing another rider and getting and giving the wave (you know the wave), to the visceral reaction you get if you see a biker stopped in the breakdown lane and the unspoken rule that you must stop and ask if he needs help, to the everyday things like visiting this forum and sharing the laughter, stresses, successes, disappointments, creativity and experiences of other riders.  There is something different about us that binds and relates us.  It's impossible to put it into words but we know...despite whatever differences we may have, we instinctively know each other on a very deep level.  There's something almost primal about it.  I think it's pretty awesome.  

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/02/15 at 20:44:53

amx4080 wrote on 07/01/15 at 16:35:34:
Hello from a new owner of a S40.  I'm using mine for daily commuting, a 90 mile round trip, and would like to get a set of saddlebags to carry my laptop (14.5"x11") and my lunch instead of the backpack I am currently using.  The Suzuki saddle bags look too small, but no dealer locally has a set I can measure and the Suzuki site doesn't list dimensions.  My bike does have the frame to keep the saddlebags off the moving parts.  Does anyone have a recommendation for what fits and could carry what I would like to carry?

If all you want to carry are a laptop and lunch, the factory bags are enough, and look / fit very nicely on the bike
if you want to carry groceries, camping gear, or much more than a laptop and lunch, they're a bit small here's a pick of them of my bike when I bought it

they are 13" tall, 10" 'long, and 3 1/2" deep
currently I'm using Coretech 'sport' bags as the factory bags are too small for the sort of stuff I carry, but they are nice and seem like good quality bags
I could toss em back on the bike and get a pic from the side if you like, I just use my bags in 'throw over' mode

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag recommendation?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.