FORD wrenches (Read 105 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
FORD wrenches
07/05/15 at 21:57:29

I have a Ford Wrench that I bought at Smith's Hardware in Hummelstown, PA sometime in the late 1970's. I am sure that wrench will out last the next 10 generations of my family.

I t has been really helpful working on plumbing.

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 07/08/15 at 04:55:52 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: OEM Air Filter Bypassing
Reply #1 - 07/05/15 at 22:05:59

I did the polyfil mod on my filter and I've been checking it once a week.  No sign pf anything at all. not even a spec under magnification yet.  The outside of the filter is catching tons of debris.  I like the idea of adding waterproof grease to the seal.  I think I may borrow that idea the next time I check it.  Thanks for the tip!

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/06/15 at 10:55:56

Kenny G wrote on 07/05/15 at 21:57:29:
I have a Ford Wrench that I bought at Smith's Hardware in Hummelstown, PA sometime in the late 1970's. I am sure that wrench will out last the next 10 generations of my family.

I t has been really helpful working on plumbing.

Kenny G

That's what it's actually designed for
hence the name: Pipe Wrench  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/06/15 at 11:02:16

Is the plug on the air cleaner drain tube in place?  Does your airbox have a plug over the (extra) tubing nipple on the bottom?  Dust could come in that way if the plug(s) are missing.

The FORD wrench is not a pipe wrench....as the jaws are smooth and they are used on nuts/bolts.  They are an adjustable wrench like a Crescent wrench....however the "FORD" wrench doesn't seem to loosen up like a Crescent wrench does.  It was one of the available factory tools for working on your early car or tractor.

Ford.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/06/15 at 11:36:20

Ah, slightly different design, too, derp
they do, I think, bite down like a pipe wrench though, they're that similar

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/06/15 at 11:51:07

Art Webb wrote on 07/06/15 at 11:36:20:
Ah, slightly different design, too, derp
they do, I think, bite down like a pipe wrench though, they're that similar

Nope.....on the pipe wrench the handle is connected to the inner jaw, and the adjustable part is on the outer jaw.  When you apply leverage on the handle it squeezes the pipe between the jaws and the harder you push....the more the jaws squeeze.

If you look at the FORD wrench the handle is attached to the outer jaw....and  you adjust the lower jaw to the correct size.  When you push/pull on the handle - nothing is leveraged tighter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/06/15 at 15:51:03

I have several pipe wrenches, all have springs involved. I have one Ford wrench. It's as much pipe wrench as a Crescent wrench is.
Mine says Ford, in cursive, on the side of the the top. Pipe wrenches grip tighter as torque is applied, providing the teeth grip. I think the Ford wrench was part of the factory supplied tool kit, kinda like the wonderful tools that come with our bikes, only before the bottom line came before quality.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/06/15 at 17:31:10

Justin,

My Ford wrenches have smooth jaws and I used them for assembling big valves. A 95" valve has some really large hex bolts and nuts and carrying sockets that size on an airplane was a PITA.

In plumbing large unions are precision made and you really don't want to use a pipe wrench on them. A pair of Ford wrenches really did the job.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/06/15 at 19:40:17

Yeah, pipe wrenches mess stuff up. I can see the value of the Ford wrenches. I just didn't know they made them so big.
Monkey wrench, still available, Graingers.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/07/15 at 08:51:56

That is a said, said, said story.
And Diggers garage floor is cleaner than that air filter.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/07/15 at 16:46:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/06/15 at 15:51:03:
I have several pipe wrenches, all have springs involved. I have one Ford wrench. It's as much pipe wrench as a Crescent wrench is.
Mine says Ford, in cursive, on the side of the the top. Pipe wrenches grip tighter as torque is applied, providing the teeth grip. I think the Ford wrench was part of the factory supplied tool kit, kinda like the wonderful tools that come with our bikes, only before the bottom line came before quality.

your pipe wrenches have springs involved? I'd like to see that, I've seen a lot of pipe wrenches but never one with a spring
I have a small one in my tool kit I used to use to get rounded bolts out, worked good most of the time, as long as I could get a bite on the bolt
Neer messed anything up with one, either

And yes, Ford wrenches were supplied with the factory tool kit that came with Model A's if not before, and, presumably, for a while after

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/07/15 at 17:07:20

The springs are between jaw and body. They hold the jaw open.

I've had to repair pipe wrenches, so, I've had them apart.
http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-31730-Replacement-Ridgid-Feets-36-Inch/dp/B001HW...

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/07/15 at 17:59:10

Must be on newer / higher quality ones, I know non of my cheap old pipe wrenches have had that feature
Lernt a new thing I did!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/07/15 at 19:02:00

Open it till the ring screws off the bottom of the jaw. Look down the hole the jaw goes in.
Orr, open it up prety far, shove the top of the jaw down and forward. It should spring back a little.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/07/15 at 20:50:00

The small one has a spring, it's in the front of the mechanism instead of between the two pieces
the bigger ones don't have one at all
cheap stuff, is my guess, bought them at discount stores. Still, they do the job
My memory has had a delayed ping, my dad had Ford wrenches in his toolbox (USAF jet engine mechanic)
I wish I had it now, my dad's tools are my biggest regret of all the stuff we lost over the years after he retired and life went to hell
All I have left is his medals

he also had the german wrenches that inspired this knock off
http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-CRAFTSMAN-CLENCH-WRENCH-00930879/dp/B008L2JUXC

the original, german ones he had, which sorta looked like mini pipe wrenches with a pivot instead of adjusters, NEVER failed to remove a bolt, unlike the craftsman version I have

probably we should knock off the thread jack  Grin

Sorry OP

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 22:51:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › FORD wrenches

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.