Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OEM Air Filter Bypassing (Read 304 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
OEM Air Filter Bypassing
07/05/15 at 17:37:44

Hello all,

Bad news to report...

I pulled the OEM air filter out of my Savage (see my signature block for specifics).  The bike had 13.9K miles on it and had seen almost totally urban use over the years, with no memories of dirt road riding at all.

I was horrified to discover dust inside the "clean" section of the airbox.  Grrr....out comes the carb and the airbox for cleaning.

How did this happen?  Some background:

I bought the bike used in late 2001, it had 50 miles on it.  Based on what I know, it was ridden once, then put away in a shed long enough for the carb to gum up.

After buying the bike, I cleaned the carb and she's been running great ever since.  When the bike had about 600 miles on it, I took out the original air filter, applied waterproof grease to the sealing foam, and popped 'er back in the airbox.

Over the years, I occasionally peeked inside the airbox, always thinking the filter looked good enough to leave in place.  In short, since that 600 mile check, I've never pulled the original air filter, much less cleaned same.

Here are some recent pics:

While I don't believe the dust came in around the foam seal, based on my inspection of same, I suppose that is possible.  More likely, I think, is that the dust was sucked through the filter media proper....which is surprising to me in that I've gone much. much further on air filters without cleaning them on my other street bikes.

Just a cautionary tale....don't be like me.... :'(

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: OEM Air Filter Bypassing
Reply #1 - 07/05/15 at 18:15:40

Ya' mean I have to check my air filter now?...

Geez!... work, work, work... Grin...

OKay,... prolly should... I don't remember checking it for a couple years now... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 07/05/15 at 18:46:03

Well mine is a 2003 so I guess I have 2 more years before I check  Grin Cheesy Cheesy Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue

PS... um Serow... that wrench on yer tag... we call it a "Ford Wrench" in the military, were did you get the pic? Do you have a link were I can get one?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/05/15 at 19:20:58

I stole it from Versy... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 07/05/15 at 20:24:21

My '08 is running its stock filter and it looks brand new. Great tip on sealing the edges Digger!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/05/15 at 21:08:58

old_rider wrote on 07/05/15 at 18:46:03:
Well mine is a 2003 so I guess I have 2 more years before I check  Grin Cheesy Cheesy Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue

PS... um Serow... that wrench on yer tag... we call it a "Ford Wrench" in the military, were did you get the pic? Do you have a link were I can get one?

got it on the internet, just search monkey wrench

here's one...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449278_200449278?cm_mmc=Bin...

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 07/06/15 at 11:53:18

Dave wrote on 07/06/15 at 11:02:16:
Is the plug on the air cleaner drain tube in place?  Does your airbox have a plug over the (extra) tubing nipple on the bottom?  Dust could come in that way if the plug(s) are missing.

The FORD wrench is not a pipe wrench....as the jaws are smooth and they are used on nuts/bolts.  They are an adjustable wrench like a Crescent wrench....however the "FORD" wrench doesn't seem to loosen up like a Crescent wrench does.  It was one of the available factory tools for working on your early car or tractor.

Thanks, Dave, for getting this thread back on track....well, mostly.   Wink

Yes, both plugs were in place.  In addition, I have verified that the drain tube itself is free of any splits that could let air in.

In addition, I was able to verify that (for my model of Savage, anyway (see my signature block)) the plugged drain (corresponding to the aft-most of the the two "nipples" on the underside of the airbox) leads to the "dirty" side of the airbox, while the drain tube (corresponding to the forward-most of said two "nipples") leads to the "clean" side of the airbox.

« Last Edit: 07/06/15 at 16:05:47 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 07/06/15 at 12:58:22

Ok, so I took the air filter out to check it...and I have a question.

There doesnt seem to be a "channel" for it to slide into. It just sits up against the opening and attaches in the front, but what stops the back from moving away from the opening flange and creating a gap? Am I missing something? Since silicone rubber does not adhere well to ABS plastic, would it be helpful to put a bead of RTV around the sealing edge? Or is it not that critical.

Thanks in advance,

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 07/06/15 at 14:22:45

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/06/15 at 12:58:22:
Ok, so I took the air filter out to check it...and I have a question.

There doesnt seem to be a "channel" for it to slide into. It just sits up against the opening and attaches in the front, but what stops the back from moving away from the opening flange and creating a gap? Am I missing something? Since silicone rubber does not adhere well to ABS plastic, would it be helpful to put a bead of RTV around the sealing edge? Or is it not that critical.

Thanks in advance,

Hi Stu,

Well, there's not really a "channel," per se, but there are two plastic "stays,", one that engages the air filter element's upper-port corner, and one that engages said element's lower-port corner, when said element is installed.  Since said element has a stiff metal frame, said "stays" act to hold said element's port-most edge firmly against the airbox's sealing surface (well, in theory, anyway) - note that the starboard-most edge of said element is held in place by the single mounting screw that you had to remove in order to slide said element out of the airbox.

Here is a look at the upper-most of the two said "stays":

IHTH!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/08/15 at 05:02:48

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/08/15 at 05:07:57

OK Dokey......lets talk air filters!

Digger.....can you see anything that would indicate the air cleaner just wasn't sealed in the housing?  A trail of dust or cleaner spot where the air flow might have gone around the filter housing?

Paper elements generally don't bypass anything....the more they are used and the pores close up -  the more stuff they filter.  Eventually they even won't let the air through!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 07/08/15 at 12:54:32

Dave wrote on 07/08/15 at 05:07:57:
OK Dokey......lets talk air filters!

Digger.....can you see anything that would indicate the air cleaner just wasn't sealed in the housing?  A trail of dust or cleaner spot where the air flow might have gone around the filter housing?

Paper elements generally don't bypass anything....the more they are used and the pores close up -  the more stuff they filter.  Eventually they even won't let the air through!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for cleanin' this thread up...

Nothing really jumped out at me from examining inside of the airbox.  It is interesting to note, however, that a fine grit seems to be pretty evenly distrubuted over the screen on the "clean" side of the air filter element.

Hmmm.....

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 07/08/15 at 14:13:04

Roger that Col. Digger sir! Thanks for the photos. My old back doesnt bend the way it used to and I never saw those hardpoints.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 07/09/15 at 11:53:22

Hey Digger !
Where have you been ?
It's been a while since you've been here ?

Good to see you back !

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 07/11/15 at 11:25:55

LANCER wrote on 07/09/15 at 11:53:22:
Hey Digger !
Where have you been ?
It's been a while since you've been here ?

Good to see you back !

Hi Lancer,

Thnx for the kind words!

The time I usually devote to my MC forums has been consumed by other projects.  Hope to be back regularly soon...

Ride safe!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 13:01:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OEM Air Filter Bypassing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.