Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throttle tube replacement (Read 220 times)
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Throttle tube replacement
06/28/15 at 23:33:33

I've been looking to get a new/extra throttle tube as I want to experiment with a different handle bar on my bike and I really doubt I can get off the grip that is currently mounted. (Made of metal and seems to be very tight )

Looking for spareparts for the savage it seems, from the drawings, like I have to order a complete grip with a built-in throttle tube, which is not what I'm looking for. Number 1 on this picture: http://images.imagessite.com/OEM_IMAGES/suzuki_mc_images/S86LS65027.gif

I want to get only the throttle tube, so I can mount whatever rubber grip I may eventually find on ebay. Something like this, only I have no idea whether it fits and how I can find out if it fits:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/01-0093

Any ideas?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Throttle tube replacement
Reply #1 - 06/29/15 at 07:11:42

All I can offer is some well wishing. Some of these guys have messed with that stuff, I managed to dodge....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/29/15 at 07:32:11

Smooth tubes are available from other bikes, I've picked up a couple, couldn't tell you what they were from.

I'd just go to a wrecker and see what they have.

WWW   IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #3 - 06/30/15 at 02:05:39

Thanks for the tips... I will see what I can find Smiley

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 06/30/15 at 07:34:03

That's weird...not sure what kind of grip you have on it but I just replaced my stock ones...the plastic end cap popped off with some effort and then I used compressed air to loosen the grip and slide it off the throttle tube...
I went with the Biltwell grips like these...
http://www.amazon.com/Biltwell-Inc-Recoil-Grips-Handlebars/dp/B00M9MH85W/ref=...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/30/15 at 08:18:16

Bubba wrote on 06/30/15 at 07:34:03:
That's weird...not sure what kind of grip you have on it but I just replaced my stock ones...the plastic end cap popped off with some effort and then I used compressed air to loosen the grip and slide it off the throttle tube...
I went with the Biltwell grips like these...
http://www.amazon.com/Biltwell-Inc-Recoil-Grips-Handlebars/dp/B00M9MH85W/ref=...

Those are what I use as well. Excellent hand feel, the checkering and palm swell make a new bike out of the Savage.

Throttle tube by itself? Piece of cake... ANY 1" throttle sleeve is fine. Single or dual pull. Any dealership will have them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/30/15 at 08:49:06

Remember, names matter. It's not Biltcrappy and nobody sells
Chickentoughs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #7 - 06/30/15 at 08:51:42

WD wrote on 06/30/15 at 08:18:16:
Throttle tube by itself? Piece of cake... ANY 1" throttle sleeve is fine. Single or dual pull. Any dealership will have them.

Really... really, really?? If that's the case, I'll just go ahead and order one...    Cheesy

Reason I want the sleeve only is that I want to keep the grips on my current setup, in case I want to go back to them.
Therefore I'd prefer to get a new sleeve I can use for a different set of grips for a drag style handlebar I have made.

IP Logged
Volpstar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reply #8 - 06/30/15 at 09:47:32

For anyone who likes to be "lazy" (cheap?); I took my stock throttle sleeve/tube and used a razor blade to carve away at the grooves/lips. All the way /up/ to the neck, where the cable itself attaches. Time consuming, tiring, and frustrating, but it was faster than ordering a new sleeve for myself. It fit more than snug into my Kuryakyn Black ISO grips. No adhesive required. They're super snug, but still easily (enough) removed.

2001 LS650

Raptor petcock.
K&N filter + Dyna exhaust.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/01/15 at 21:39:10

Mekh wrote on 06/30/15 at 08:51:42:

WD wrote on 06/30/15 at 08:18:16:

Really... really, really?? If that's the case, I'll just go ahead and order one...    Cheesy

Reason I want the sleeve only is that I want to keep the grips on my current setup, in case I want to go back to them.
Therefore I'd prefer to get a new sleeve I can use for a different set of grips for a drag style handlebar I have made.

I've used ones from Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley Davidson (current, $5 from the independent chopper shop junk bin), Motion Pro, Barnett, J&P Cycles (plastic and die cast), Emgo and others on my 2 Savages and my wife's 800 Intruder.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #10 - 07/02/15 at 05:28:25

WD wrote on 07/01/15 at 21:39:10:
I've used ones from Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley Davidson (current, $5 from the independent chopper shop junk bin), Motion Pro, Barnett, J&P Cycles (plastic and die cast), Emgo and others on my 2 Savages and my wife's 800 Intruder.

Good to hear... I'll just get one off of ebay or someplace equivalent and see how it goes. Thanks

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #11 - 12/20/19 at 11:33:18

I bought a machined aluminum one from biltwell, we'll see if it's any good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/24/24 at 04:24:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle tube replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.