Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Main jet advice (Read 491 times)
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Main jet advice
10/29/16 at 04:48:58

Cleaning my carburetor and intended to rejet it,  since I plan to be using a Raask pipe. Allthough only if I find a good Baffle to use.

Current jetting:
Main 130 !?
Pilot 47.5
Pilot air 0.6
Washer thickness 2.5mm (0.98'ish inch)
Stock exhaust
52m above sea level

Going by the jetting articles I expected a larger main jet, so what size jets could I expect to need for a semi-open Raask pipes?

Just looking for a decent starting point.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Main jet advice
Reply #1 - 10/29/16 at 17:22:44

I really have no idea what the gasoline in your area requires for jetting, and I also don't know what altitude you ride at.  Both of those things will affect the jetting.

With the crappy ethanol fuel we have in Kentucky....a 150 main is the smallest that we can use at the 500' - 1,000 feet elevation where I live.  I have ridden it up to 6,000 feet with that jetting....although it is probably running a bit rich at the higher elevations with the 150 main.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 10/30/16 at 00:06:49

Mekh, The main jet if stock should be 147.5  a good all around jet seems to be a 50 pilot jet and a150 main,but the raask may need somewhat higher do to it being less restrictive  and because of your low elevation may be the next larger jets 52.5 and 152.5, or the 55/155 jets,or a combination ,like 50/155. you should start with pilot jet and tune the mixure screw first,then the washer reduced by 1/4,1/3 but not more than 1/2 ,so as to stop mid range surge, if any. Then change the main for best full throttle performance.Don't make more than a single change at one time ,if the bike starts running badly you will then know what to undo.Jets should run you 30-50dkk each.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/30/16 at 03:14:50

The jetting for the Savage sold in other parts of the world are not the same as the US.......other folks from the EU have reported their stock jets to be different, and the numbers are always smaller than what was used in the US models (except CA).  In addition some EU carbs have an electric switch on the carb that is activated at full throttle....and nobody has found any documentation that tells what it is....we believe it retards the timing at full throttle to help eliminate detonation.

Here is the chart we have for stock jetting......and it states the jetting for the EU is similar to the California (CA) models.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 10/30/16 at 09:06:01

It would be interesting to document what jets were installed in each year for each country.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 10/30/16 at 09:20:52

Do to the smaller? jet needle /needle jet, he might better start with a 50 pilot /145 main and work up if needed.

IP Logged
Sarge
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/30/16 at 11:06:41

Just for the record, the jetting chart in the Tech Section and referenced by Dave appears to have originally come from the Suzuki Repair manual. If the column labeled "CA Models" is supposed to include the California (not Canadian)Models, it is incorrect.  My 2003 Savage came with 52.5 pilot and 145 main.  Others have reported the same (see post by HefyJefy on 07/08/16 for example).   Wink

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #7 - 10/30/16 at 15:24:38

Thanks a lot for all the tips and pointers on where to start. I think I better get a few different sizes of jets, but at least I probably dont have to start with 132.5 and so on now.

No wonder the header pipe was blackish blue. I better inspect the piston and exhaust valves thoroughly, when I take it apart.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 10/30/16 at 18:18:08

The pipe can  blue from running lean or to rich. I'm betting on lean in your case,but a Raask will compound the problem.Yes you should get a large assortment of jets. I wouldn't worry about the piston or valve damage from running the stock jets ,the bike is set up very lean from the factory and that only blues the header pipe.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #9 - 10/31/16 at 15:38:55

The 86 and 87s use to come jetted rich at 55 and 155, my 02, 03 and 96 came with 52.5 and 147.5  stock.

I think 52.5 and 152.5 was a perfect setup with no intake and a pretty opened muffler but im in Ny

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 11/01/16 at 12:40:24

Yoshi wrote on 10/31/16 at 15:38:55:
The 86 and 87s use to come jetted rich at 55 and 155, my 02, 03 and 96 came with 52.5 and 147.5  stock.

I think 52.5 and 152.5 was a perfect setup with no intake and a pretty opened muffler but im in Ny

I agree this is a good starting point, but with the Raask I would not be surprised that a 155 main is needed.  
And do not leave out the needle setting, with the Raask it should be half of the white plastic spacer...or 3 washers.

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #11 - 11/02/16 at 12:45:33

I'm completely baffled/surprised with the numbers coming up here, considering the jetting I was driving with (and actually thought it drove well with). Then again, I have nothing to compare it with yet.

I think I'll get myself a set of pilot and main jets, so I can play with it.

I just kinda feel that it's a huge step going from a 130 main jet to a 150+ jet in one go Smiley

Lancer:
The washers you mention... Are they ordinary stainless washers and if so, what size are they?
Asking just in case I want to find someone myself... metric sizes around here, so just to have an idea.

Edit: Do I remember right that you are selling jet sets also?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 11/02/16 at 13:12:53

The washers we use are #4 Machine Screw size - but that is a US standard....and not a metric system.

You might be able to find a metric washer that is small enough to fit in the recessed hole in the slide, and over the needle.  You want enough washers to be about half the height of the white plastic spacer that is on the slide right now. (If your slide has several notches on the needle....just lower the clip a notch which will be raising the needle).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/02/16 at 13:35:02

Mekh wrote on 11/02/16 at 12:45:33:
I just kinda feel that it's a huge step going from a 130 main jet to a 150+ jet in one go Smiley

There was a discussion years back concerning Euro vs. USA jet sizes.
The numbers are different because of different measurements.
And I forget the actual details (so eaoe)
USA might be actual thru hole size
vs. EU might be flow rate cc/sec.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 11/02/16 at 13:42:26

Dave wrote on 11/02/16 at 13:12:53:
The washers we use are #4 Machine Screw size - but that is a US standard....and not a metric system.

You might be able to find a metric washer that is small enough to fit in the recessed hole in the slide, and over the needle.  You want enough washers to be about half the height of the white plastic spacer that is on the slide right now. (If your slide has several notches on the needle....just lower the clip a notch which will be raising the needle).

I have some #4 at home.  If I remember, I'll get out the digital mm caliper and see what they measure.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 14:56:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Main jet advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.