Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Put in Verslavy - Got noise again shortly after (Read 201 times)
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Put in Verslavy - Got noise again shortly after
06/28/15 at 23:14:02

Hi,
I recently purchased and installed a Verslavy and the engine sounded MUCH better afterwards and I can hear no cam chain noise when the engine is idling.
However, it has started making what I think sounds like cam chain noise again, when the engine rpm is somewhat higher than idling.
I'm not sure, but I don't think it sounds like valve ticking/clacking.

I have put about 500 km's on the bike after installing the Verslavy.

Any ideas on what may be the source of the noise and/or recommended action I should take?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Put in Verslavy - Got noise again shortly afte
Reply #1 - 06/29/15 at 01:18:03

If you could make a video or audio clip it would be immensely helpful.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #2 - 06/29/15 at 02:22:56

I'll try to make a decent recording once I get home from work.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/29/15 at 07:43:26

Check your valve adjustment again.  Make sure you turn the crank the same way the wheels turn going forward and don't back up, if you go past more than a width of a line, go around again.

Next, you need to track down the location of the noise, we might be able to discern a location in the video, but most times I can't.  Get a mech's stethoscope search around for the noise.  Many noises have a vertical component, a side and some a forward component.  Try each point in several directions.  You are looking for the loudest sewing machine in there.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #4 - 06/30/15 at 03:32:10

I haven't adjusted valves, while I have had the bike and I have put about 3000 km's on the bike since I got it and roughly 300 km's after installing the Verslavy.

However, except for the very clear chain noise I heard prior to installing the Verslavy I heard no ticking from the top (valves) or other noises that I could not relate to the chain, using a mech's stethoscope (screwdriver). Having worked as a machinist/machine operator (years back) I'm quite familiar with using such a stethoscope, when looking for sources of vibrations, bad bearings and so on Smiley

I had no time to fiddle with the bike yesterday, but will hopefully get time to make a sound recording later today.

As soon as possible I will have a look at the adjustment of the valves, but the sound I hear really do not sound like valves. Of course given that I remember the sound right that is. It's been 20-25 years since I last dealt with valves on the bike I had back then (Suzuki GSX 750 ESD)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/30/15 at 04:38:13

Do check to make sure it is not the headlight or speedometer rattle.  Put your hand on the rim of the headlight....and on the speedometer to see if the noise goes away when you are holding onto either of those.  My headlight started rattling....and for weeks I though the top end of my bike was coming apart.  My full coverage helmet can amplify sounds, and also make the direction of the sound elusive.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #6 - 06/30/15 at 08:58:47

Dave wrote on 06/30/15 at 04:38:13:
Do check to make sure it is not the headlight or speedometer rattle.

Wow... turns out it's the headlight  Shocked
Even now that I have verified that to be the case, when I listen to the sound, all I can hear is a "chain being dragged across a metallic edge" kinda sound...

Thanks a bunch... I'm a happy biker now:

Now I just have to figure out how to fix that rattle, but I'm sure I can find a gazillion threads on the subject on this excellent forum.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/30/15 at 09:10:46

Cool....I love happy endings! Smiley

Take the headlight ring off, and put a layer of that two sided foam tape  on the little tabs, then put the ring back on.  Problem solved.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1186192038/12#12

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1287787382/0#0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/01/15 at 00:53:50

The headlight rattle happened to me about a week after I got my bike.  Don't you just love it when you think you've got a huge issue and then something as simple as a heavy duty rubber band around a headlight ring stops it?   Grin

Glad it worked out for you bud.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #9 - 07/01/15 at 02:31:12

Yes, it was indeed quite a relief to find out it was nothing serious... Had me worried I might have done something wrong when I installed the Verslavy, but I could not imagine what it should have been. It's not exactly a complex task Smiley

Thanks for the links and tips. I hope to fix it this evening.

... still amazed at just how much noise can come out of that headlight.

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #10 - 07/03/15 at 01:12:33

Just to close this one off...
Last night I put some double sided tape and some plastic foam on the top hinge on the headlight.

Now it no longer sounds like the cam chain is running across a metal edge.  Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/04/15 at 11:20:12

Wait until the speedometer guts dry out... sounds like the top end of the engine is full of marbles... Easy fix, pull the gauge, take out 2 screws, add Vaseline to the gears, reassemble. Amazing how much noise a couple ballistic nylon gears make when they dry out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Put in Verslavy - Got noise again shortly after

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.