popping backfire (Read 92 times)
hersh1992
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

popping backfire
07/03/15 at 11:05:34

hi everyone I am new here I just bought a Suzuki s40 with 500 mile great shape
though it has some popping sound, I adjusted the air/mixture fuel valve. to 2 turns counter clockwise to richen it still there a little popping sound, anything else should I do .. Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: popping backfire
Reply #1 - 07/03/15 at 11:11:48

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/03/15 at 11:15:40

hersh1992 wrote on 07/03/15 at 11:05:34:
hi everyone I am new here I just bought a Suzuki s40 with 500 mile great shape
though it has some popping sound, I adjusted the air/mixture fuel valve. to 2 turns counter clockwise to richen it still there a little popping sound, anything else should I do .. Smiley

Edited:
If you turned it 2 CCW, that's leaner ooops that's wrong.
 and you're about to bottom out.
be careful there, sometimes it will stick if you turn it down hard.

Visit the tech section and look up serowbots carb tuning.

But 2 full turns out from a factory adjust and the needle is likely to vibrate out. 3 turns out and you should go up a jet size. -v1

« Last Edit: 07/03/15 at 13:13:55 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/03/15 at 17:53:12

The adjustment of the idle screw is not done when the engine is turned off....it is like tuning your guitar - it has to be done by sound!

Get the bike thoroughly warmed up on a about a 10 minute ride....then drop the idle speed down a little bit....and make the adjustment as shown in the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

If you can turn the mixture screw in almost all the way and the engine still runs fine - you need a smaller pilot jet.
If you need to turn the screw out more than 2 turns - you need a bigger pilot jet.

Once you get the setting so the engine runs smooth, turn the idle speed back up to 1,000 - 1,100 rpm.  You now have the proper idle fuel mixture.

Popping through the exhaust when you close the throttle is not an indication there is anything wrong with your bike....big singles do that.  You can turn the mixture screw out an additional 1/4 turn and see if it helps - but don't go much farther or the idle mixture will be too rich.  You can learn to hold the throttle open just a tiny bit off fully closed when you shift or are compression braking, and this will cut down on the popping.  This is not a fuel injected modern engine....it is a primitive bike that takes a bit of rider participation to operate.....and a bit of learning how to ride the bike smoothly.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 07/03/15 at 18:23:21

Dave wrote on 07/03/15 at 17:53:12:
Get the bike thoroughly warmed up on a about a 10 minute ride....then drop the idle speed down a little bit....

This helps to hear the difference in engine sound as you adjust the mixture screw.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/04/15 at 11:41:44

Kris01 wrote on 07/03/15 at 18:23:21:
Dave wrote on 07/03/15 at 17:53:12:
Get the bike thoroughly warmed up on a about a 10 minute ride....then drop the idle speed down a little bit....

This helps to hear the difference in engine sound as you adjust the mixture screw.

Yes...and at higher idle speeds it is possible that the slide and needle are just beginning to operate - and that can make adjustment of the idle mixture impossible.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:26:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › popping backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.