Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me (Read 735 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me
Reply #45 - 06/24/15 at 14:28:09

stewmills wrote on Today at 21:06:29:
BTW, my butt breathes pretty well, it's just that it exhales only.

Just an FYI, but the truth be told, there are many people so equipped.
Some people, I dunno if they are more advanced or what, but some are equipped with vocal cords near the end of the large intestine.
They are also ventriloquists,throwing that voice and able to lip sync, making it appear that they are actually speaking, but they are really just talkin outta their A55.
For proof, remember any presidential candidates speeches. Compare to the realities that followed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 06/24/15 at 14:43:10

Dave wrote on 06/24/15 at 13:24:34:
Scuba divers call it "outgassing"....well at least when it is the built up Nitrogen that you are getting rid of.

Nitrogen wouldn't be a problem... but it's methane.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #47 - 06/24/15 at 19:35:30

methane, colourless odourless gas that occurs abundantly in nature and as a product of certain human activities.

Yeah, I'm not certain about the color, but, I Do know that, depending on the source, it might not be completely odorless. I'm pretty sure that the odor is directly proportional to the amount of potential embarrassment for farting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #48 - 06/24/15 at 21:53:26

Justin wrote :

Post! Quote  Let go of the idea that trading bigger equals trading up.

350 to 450 lbs = FUN  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 06/25/15 at 04:17:37

For this "Trading Up"......does Stewmills have a budget in mind?  That makes a lot of difference in what could be available.

For me personally......I will never buy a new bike and have found a lot of used bikes with low miles, good condition, and great prices.  I do believe the used bike market is pretty well saturated and on Craigslist in Cincinnati there are always 5-20 bikes for sale of any model you are looking for....and it changes weekly.

I have a personal limit of about $ 5,000 for a used bike.....and there is a huge selection of good bikes to choose from.  The Honda ST1100 is well below that limit, the ST1300 is just barely in that limit, good BMW K and RT models, the Suzuki 650 V-Strom, older Honda Goldwings, the older style Kawasaki Concours, the Yamaha FJR....I mostly know the Sport Touring market and don't know what Cruiser style bikes are in the sub-$5,000 range. However.....any bike I listed is not as nimble and fun to ride around on the back roads as the Savage is!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #50 - 06/25/15 at 06:14:59

Dave wrote on 06/22/15 at 14:24:29:
I don't believe the C50 is an upgrade.........most likely the S40 is a faster and more nimble bike in the mountains.

Having owned both, I can certainly agree with Dave. The advantage the C50 brings is a longer chassis and many more aftermarket parts, seats, and accessories. The down side is it still has a drum rear brake and single disc front brake.

1,001 choices out there. You mentioned in your original post that you may want to do a small upgrade. There are not too many used out there, but take a look at the Honda CTX series. Good power, low weight, Honda quality, discs front and rear, growing list of options, 60 mpg, and I have already had mine out on the slab at 77 running without a windscreen. New CTX700N six speed bike can be put on the road for a reasonable price. The NC700 is much taller but has the same engine.

Good Hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #51 - 06/25/15 at 06:41:46

My budget is about $3000, but the more I think about it, talk to you folks, and stare at the S40 all nice and shiny in the garage, I think I am going to hold off on trading "up" and go for the Spencer seat mod and see if that solves my "ailment".  

I appreciate all of the feedback, seriously, as that's what we're all here for.  I think you all have helped me not rush out and make a bad impulse decision.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #52 - 06/25/15 at 07:36:30

Also think about getting some 4" or 6" forward controllers for your foot pegs, it makes for a more comfortable ride.
I have the 4" ones from this site and my inseam is 30", they make for a more leg stretching ride. I just put the heal of my boots on the pegs and lean back.... um, you would have to install a back rest, LOL Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #53 - 06/25/15 at 13:50:40

sometimes I rest my ankles on the pegs, it makes a difference, highway pegs would likely be a good idea

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #54 - 06/26/15 at 13:30:13

I have stock engine guard and K pegs and they feel comfortable when I am on them. It's just my arse hurts where I sit back against the seat hump for 250 miles in a day.  Yeah, I know that most bikes will do that to you without a break.  

However, to see if it makes a difference, I have the seat boxed up and on it's way to Spencer tonight to get "Spencerized" so hopefully next weekend I'll have some feedback for you all.

Cool

dragon6696.JPG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #55 - 06/26/15 at 13:57:01

Ya' know.....we will be heading back to the Dragon for another trip at the beginning of September.

Good way to try out that revised seat!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #56 - 06/26/15 at 14:37:59

Dave wrote on 06/26/15 at 13:57:01:
Ya' know.....we will be heading back to the Dragon for another trip at the beginning of September.

Good way to try out that revised seat!

Yeah, I am seriously thinking about trying to make that work. Getting there is easy as it's a relatively direct/not too bad 4 hour drive.  The issue is not doing it over a 'holiday' weekend when I should be off with my wife relaxing somewhere. It's definitely on my radar.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 06/26/15 at 17:51:02

I have a neighbor who is in his 70's and looking for a new bike.  He has a very nice Volusia 800, a Suzuki Burghman Scooter that he has put 100,000 miles on, and a very early Gold Wing.  He doesn't like the sound and vibration of the Volusia on long trips....he is not a V-twin fan.  The Burghman scooter has a tiny front wheel/tire that just isn't good on potholes or big bumps, and the Goldwing is jut a bit old and heavy for him to load down with luggage.

He has been looking for the perfect new bike for him....and he believes the Kawasaki Vulcan S might be just the ticket.  It is a bit out of your price range....but maybe in a few years this could be your bike upgrade to a used Vulcan S.  It has twice the HP of the Savage, and the pegs, seat and handlebars are all adjustable to fit to the rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibv4_vFQfVM

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #58 - 06/27/15 at 06:14:16

I used this site http://diymotorcycleseat.com/ for info on customizing mine. Raised the seat height about 1 1/2" with rigid foam from Lowes. Contoured it with a heat gun and a grinder. It took three tries of taking it apart and putting it back together to get it the way I wanted. I also added longer shocks to smooth out the bumps. It's pretty comfortable for 200 mile trips. That's the longest I've taken so far.

The advantage of doing it yourself is that you can fine tune it as much as you want. And it still looks pretty much stock because the top layer of soft foam is compressed by the seat cover.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #59 - 06/27/15 at 11:24:39

If I was to go out today and buy a midsized replacement, it would be a VN900. The "Custom", which is a fuel injected version of the old VN800A, with a belt drive instead of a chain. Proper tire sizes (21/16) on tubeless cast wheels, tolerable seat, more horsepower, better gearing and better fuel economy than my current Savage (averaging mid 30s to low 40s mpg, something is seriously wrong with it).

I put 44 thousand miles on my VN800A in 18 months. I've put around 30 thousand on the 2003 Savage I bought from Pine. Needs a new timing chain, on the second hole and just about maxed out already in under a year. Second drive tire is just about shot as well, and I bought the bike in April 2014 with a fairly decent rear on it already, swapped that out when the cord started showing.

If I didn't loathe shaft drive so much (had a BMW lock up and spiit in half under me, and that includes the chassis) I'd be on a VN1500 or a C90T. I like the Savage as a backroads toy, but... it leaves a lot to be desired as a highway motorcycle. Too little, even with extensive changes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.