YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
I'm a dork...
10/24/15 at 09:19:47

Huh...
I wave  like a dork... especially to riders I think are too invested in being cool...
If you don't want to be dork,... follow these rules... ...and be conventional...
http://hubpages.com/autos/MotorcycleEtiquetteHowNotToWaveLikeADork
After all,.. riding is all about being conventional... Right?...
Conform... or you are a dork... Angry...
...and you can't enjoy the freedom of the open road, if you're a dork... Undecided...
Tongue Tongue Tongue...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: I'm a dork...
Reply #1 - 10/24/15 at 10:26:30

I wave to anybody on 2 wheels.  Don't often initiate it unless the circumstances are right.  I wave to scooters, street bikes, cruisers, dual sports, cops, whatever.
Riding is riding.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/24/15 at 11:31:29

I'll wave at anything on 2 wheels...(although bicyclers seem too busy, head down,.. and focused intently on breaking some personal record, so I leave them alone)...
I'll wave at 3 wheels...
4 wheels (quads),... I'm a bit fuzzy, but I'll wave back if they wave...
I'll definitely wave at kids...

Heck,.. I'll wave at a cat if it waves first... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/24/15 at 11:34:12

I'm with Tocsik, waves for all
and yeah, I sometimes wave like a dork

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 10/24/15 at 12:08:10

I usually don't initiate a wave because I have a feeling it's a little silly to wave just because someone else is on a bike.  However, if it's a lousy day, cold or rainy, etc. I usually wave because I feel like we're both suffering together...

I always wave back; it's only common courtesy to return a wave if someone waves at you.

I find that a lot of cool guys don't wave if I have a full face helmet on. A lot more wave if I have the 3/4 helmet.  

On principle, I personally don't wave at people wearing chaps.  I think they are cowards.   Wink

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #5 - 10/24/15 at 12:44:04

Serowbot, the repiles to that article are hilarious!

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #6 - 10/24/15 at 16:36:32

Let me expound on this important subject! Advanced riders must learn that dorkiness when waving is context sensitive. The rider's mind must continually evaluate his/her social relationship with an approaching rider while performing all the other mental calculations required for safe riding. A full vocabulary of waves must be mastered, and the correct one chosen, often in split seconds. Otherwise, one risks humiliation, insult, road rage or no response from the passing rider, leaving one's identity in crisis and possibly setting up the kind of mental confusion that can cause an accident.

Here are a few examples: You're cruising on your Savage when 3 or 4 bagger HDs riding two up approach. You do the relaxed arm down pointing at the road wave. All riders return it. An excellent transaction.

You're cruising on your Savage  when a possible transvestite on a fuscia Vespa approaches and you do the same salute. He or she returns it with the left little finger raised from the grip like holding a teacup wave. You lose. The Vespa rider thinks you are disoriented and dangerous or can't see well. He or she is right.

You are approaching a greasy HD rat bike with a tattoo-covered rider wearing an open soiled leather vest and a Nazi SS helmet. You give the Hitler raised arm sieg heil salute and he returns it. Successful transaction.

But: You are approaching a motor officer on a Kawasaki Police 1000 and you give the same salute. The motor officer does an incredibly tight footboard-dragging U-turn, lights you up, gets off his bike and pounds you to raw meat with his truncheon. You lose. You called him a Nazi. What did you expect?

A dozen high displacement sportbikes are approaching you at 180mph on a suburban street at an intersection. You do the both hands salute where the right hand is raised open and the left fist smashes into the right palm. The sportbikes don't respond because the photons of light from your hands have barely reached them before they are past you. But glancing in your rear view mirror, you notice that about half the pack has collided in an explosion of fiberglass fairings and tumbling bodies and a couple of fires have started. You lose. You confused them and they had no time to respond. You technically caused the accident by using a bad wave.

It's like this with the waving. You just have to know what to do and do it right every time. The stakes are high!

I wave at all 2-wheelers, but I always try to do it RIGHT.  Wink

And waving at kids is the greatest feeling ever.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #7 - 10/24/15 at 17:33:12

over here,it's more of a nod of the head as we ride/drive on the left,so it's rather hard to wave left handed,unless you're laid back and riding with 1 hand,the Harley woofters will never wave to a ricer,in saying that,I hardley get waves  when I'm on the savvy as the sportsters won't wave to a cruiser and the Hog boys won't wave to a ricer  Grin..took my new neighbour a few weeks to realise it was me acknowledging  him when he was on his bike..1 day I'd take the Sav,next day it was my Kwaka,always nodded to him,nod back on Kwaka..nothing on the Sav  Roll Eyes

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #8 - 10/24/15 at 17:56:08

anebv8 wrote on 10/24/15 at 17:33:12:
in saying that,I hardly get waves  when I'm on the savvy as the sportsters won't wave to a cruiser and the Hog boys won't wave to a ricer  

But if you happen to see someone else on a Savage, a wave is hardly enough! You feel such a kinship you want to pull over, shake hands, look at the other bike, invite the rider over for a backyard cookout. Just the way it is.

Pulling up next to another Savage at a red light makes the day for both of you. All right...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/24/15 at 18:46:16

Serowbot wrote on 10/24/15 at 11:31:29:
I'll definitely wave at kids...

kids really like it when you back fire.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #10 - 10/24/15 at 19:01:03

Vers, we also use that here in Dallas to repress a drive by shooting or a larger urban gang gun battle. When you see there is gun play going on in the street up ahead of you, you just get off the throttle, quickly downshift 2 gears and let out the clutch. Everyone dives for cover and keeps their heads down until you have passed. It's a real selling point of the LS650 when you ride the mean streets.  Wink

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 10/24/15 at 19:47:04

I passed a guy coming out of a church once. I gave the typical wave. He waved like it was the last thing he'd ever do. Must've been an exciting experience for him!  Grin

I waved at a sport biker once. He gave me a dirty look.  Undecided

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #12 - 10/24/15 at 22:06:38

I don't know whether I am a dork, or just an old fart.  I wave at anyone in the wind.  I have been doing it for over 50 years.  In the old days, there weren't that many other riders to wave to, and it seemed like you were often helping or being helped by a rider at the side of the road.  Now days, you can get tired waving to all the riders, but I still cannot get myself not to do it.  I guess that makes me a dorkyfart.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/25/15 at 04:50:08

I have a bit of fun with the folks on 3 wheels....not sure how many of them notice.

I first stick my hand out and give the typical 2 finger greeting....then quickly pull my hand in front of my face and stare at my fingers - then I stick out a 3rd finger and put my hand out to continue the greeting with 3 fingers instead of just 2!
Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 10/25/15 at 07:04:24

I practice two down in front of a mirror and with a ruler....
You have to have the correct spread in distance between your finger tips or it looks like you are saying, have a nice walk.
Also, your wrist has to be just right, a true 90 degrees from the back of your hand, and you have to snap it hard into place, not dropped  limply, or it looks like you are inviting another guy to walk over to your place to have sex....
And if its a bumpy road, and your hand moves from side to side while doing that, it looks like you are saying, bring a friend too....
You might be guilty of this if you have ever initiated a two down, and got one up, in return  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:18:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › I'm a dork...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.