Send Topic Print
My new hobby (Read 144 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
My new hobby
10/24/15 at 10:15:04

Well since I've apparently survived the last round of chemical exposure, and, tho I rarely drive  now, I'm in good enough shape to pay attention to the near six years old grandson. I'm building the stuff for launching rockets. And got a three pack of them and eight motors. I guess I could've bought the GeeWhizz Oficcial Estes rocket launch kit, Buuut, stupid things about forty bucks.. I'm good enough at scrounging... I also Autopsy and hang onto parts from about everything that craps out. So, I just Happened to have a mono audio jack and a cord to plug in, a  three battery ,series connection, triple A holder , and, a really old ,big, clunky toggle switch. And, a smallish wooden box laying around, with a top, but no catch or latch.
When the whirly bird vent went on the roof I acquired some round plywood bits, and some 1/8"ID brass tubing in it gives the rod a socket. I didn't buy the Estes multi section rod, I had some 1/8" piano wire laying around.. I always do.
I Was gonna put legs on the launch pad, but, I'm thinking about just mounting the pad to the bottom of a five gallon bucket, then there is a place to carry the stuff out to the Launch area.
I found a forum, and the terms they use are foreign. The technology involved in the larger rockets, and multi stage stuff. Dude, they got Six Foot parachutes, and they use steel , Ohh, not caribiners, but threaded, and looks like a chain link. Heavy stuff, and I think some of these guys are either making their own motors or reloading them, I'm not sure yet.
Object of the enterprise, initially, was to try to capture the grandsons attention, get him interested in DOING something. He can build a rocket in his bedroom. I'm more than willing to supply the X_Acto kit, sandpaper, glue, and whatever else he might need.

Object of the enterprise, initially, was to try to capture the grandsons attention, get him interested in DOING something.

Yeah, I SAID that, and I meant it. BUT, I'm not sure just where this is gonna lead. I Am looking forward, hoping he will develop an interest and desire to do something other than sit and play games on the kindle or cell phone, whatever is handy.

To be continued

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: My new hobby
Reply #1 - 10/24/15 at 10:24:09

Cool beans, JOG.
I launched a few rockets with my sons when they were young.  We built a couple at Cub Scout meetings, too.
Great bonding opportunity and get the younger gen interested in "not looking down" all the time.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/24/15 at 11:40:09

Indeed, good going
My old man was an old school hot rodder, and as much as I loved him, it was inevitable I develop the habit (Illness, my moms would say) too
great bonding and I learned to tinker, which served me well in life

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 10/24/15 at 12:46:25

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 10/24/15 at 13:26:56

Was to be JOG, a little direction will be all he needs. Showing how to build the equipment helps cultivate his creativeness.When I was a kid all the boys in the family would get together and stuff black powder into straws for rocket engines. Didn't go very far but really was a blast. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/24/15 at 19:13:46

Thanks all, for support and such, thank you DR, it's stashed away in the bookmarks, and when I get paid, I'll be looking into buying one.

There were some books I had as a boy. Man, I can't find any, or remember the authors name. I only remember one title.
Love me, love my dog.
Story about a boy and his dog, other kids, and the way the guy wrote was like the Philip Marlowe radio shows... details describing moments that allowed a mental image,, I had several books by that author.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 10/24/15 at 22:54:19

370 Used from $0.01 on amazon

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 10/25/15 at 10:10:42

Awesome hobby for kids!  I've done rockets with my kids, youth groups, cub and boy scouts, Trail Life USA.  It always puts a smile on everybody's face when they go up!

The motors get a little pricey, that's my main complaint about model rocketry.  I keep threatening to build some motors from scratch, they're just black powder, but I haven't got around to it yet.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/25/15 at 22:49:21

Thanks DR, Never thought about Amazon.

I think there is quite abit more to the motors than a tube stuffed with black powder.looks like a cast , almost ceramic, nozzle, and the fuel can't explode, it has to burn, then, a pause, then
Poof,
Out pops the chute.
And four A 10-3T motors and igniters is almost eleven bucks after tax. A messed up igniter and suddenly, you've got a spare motor.
Maybe use it sitting atop another, lighting it off the chute pop blast..

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/26/15 at 13:50:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/25/15 at 22:49:21:
And four A 10-3T motors and igniters is almost eleven bucks after tax. A messed up igniter and suddenly, you've got a spare motor.

I use to do model rockets back in high school.  Had quite a collection.  I'll see if I can find a picture of our last great launching.  Had a 6 pad rig.
Anyway... you can make ignitors from nichrome wire, match heads (book matches, NOT "strike anywhere"!), and some parachute wadding (that flame resistant toilet paper you pack between the engine and the parachute).
Bend the nichrome into a "V" shape, shove it in the engine with a small nail.  Take some of the chemical off the match head, pour it in there, then tamp it down with a small piece of wadding.   May need to experiment to get it right.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/26/15 at 14:52:51

I can see how that works..
Thanks,, I have the wire. If I kill an igniter then I'm not shafted.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/26/15 at 18:01:03

When I was a kid and built rockets....we could buy fuse material.  We just pushed a bit of that into the engine, a dab of black powder, and a piece of tape over the engine.  We just shoved the launch rod into the ground at the angle we wanted the rocket to fly, then just lit the fuse.

My wife just retired - but every spring she had her 4th grade students build rockets and launch them.  She would have a control rocket built as it was supposed to be - then the students could change one thing on their rockets and predict how the change would affect the rocket performance.  They added or subtracted fins, change the shape of them, length of the rocket, and they were weighted so they all weighed the same when they were launched.  The kids really enjoyed it, and the entire school would come out to watch the launch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #12 - 10/26/15 at 19:26:38

I think there is quite abit more to the motors than a tube stuffed with black powder.looks like a cast , almost ceramic, nozzle, and the fuel can't explode, it has to burn, then, a pause, then
Poof,
Out pops the chute.

yeah, they have a clay or ceramic nozzle, but the propellant is just black powder, which burns really fast.  You wet it with acetone or something volatile like that, then pack it in the tube.  

Time delay is a fuse through a clay plug on top of the main charge, then a little pile of black powder on top of the clay plug with a paper cover over it.

FWOOooosshhh!................ poof, out comes the chute!

I guess if you're DIYing it can be a little tricky to get the black powder packed in the tube uniformly.  If you leave any void, it lets the gases expand up into the void, THEN your engine explodes!  

One girl i saw online made nozzles out of durhams water putty.  

I keep wondering if that T.P. is really flame resistant?  it just looks like super cheap TP to me.  I'll have to do an experiment and find out Smiley

(edit: ps I mean experiment by comparative burning, not by trying to use wadding as TP) Huh

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #13 - 10/27/15 at 04:31:07

Here is that picture.  I got the original from the newspaper article they did when our "club" disbanded.
That is me.. on the right.. in 1973.
Rockets on the pad (left to right)
Scrambler (egg payload), Gemini Titan (scale), Saturn V (scale), Saturn 1B (scale), Trident, Bomarc (scale, glide recovery)

The one in the back with the barberpole paint job is an Avenger, 2 stage rocket.

click on the paper clip to see the pic.

rocket1_001.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 10/27/15 at 04:40:03

runwyrlph wrote on 10/26/15 at 19:26:38:

Poof,
Out pops the chute.

yeah, they have a clay or ceramic nozzle, but the propellant is just black powder, which burns really fast.  You wet it with acetone or something volatile like that, then pack it in the tube.  

Time delay is a fuse through a clay plug on top of the main charge, then a little pile of black powder on top of the clay plug with a paper cover over it.

FWOOooosshhh!................ poof, out comes the chute!

I guess if you're DIYing it can be a little tricky to get the black powder packed in the tube uniformly.  If you leave any void, it lets the gases expand up into the void, THEN your engine explodes!  

One girl i saw online made nozzles out of durhams water putty.  

I keep wondering if that T.P. is really flame resistant?  it just looks like super cheap TP to me.  I'll have to do an experiment and find out Smiley

(edit: ps I mean experiment by comparative burning, not by trying to use wadding as TP) Huh

Regular Estes engines burn in 3 layers.  Propellant, smoke/delay (for tracking), chute ejection.
The multi-stage booster engines only have a propellant layer.  When it burns through, the propellant burns out the top of the engine and ignites the next stage.

Yes, the TP is actually flame resistant.  It will scorch, but won't maintain a flame.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:22:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › My new hobby

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.