Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me (Read 735 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me
Reply #30 - 06/23/15 at 22:36:11

At least consider sitting on a Bolt, low seat height and 950 cc, apparently they will out perform a Harley 883cc. There is a comparison video out there somewhere.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #31 - 06/24/15 at 06:11:25

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #32 - 06/24/15 at 06:53:44

Thanks for the replies!  

One of the guys I rode with this weekend said he sent his seat off to have gel inserted for about $150. I also looked and saw some videos of folks doing it themselves, removing and then replacing the factory seat cover so it looks stock.

Any of you ever done a gel insert install or sent your stock seat off to get it done and have a recommendation of a good vendor?

I am hankering with the idea of trying it myself.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 06/24/15 at 07:51:46

The king of mail order seat mods is a guy called Spencer.  It appears that it costs about $ 50 - $ 75 for him to make custom padding for your seat.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #34 - 06/24/15 at 08:48:06

Spencer is well known and respected on the Rebel forums

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 06/24/15 at 08:59:35

I did a gel insert into the seat of one of my bikes a couple years ago.  I didn't like it,  the gel pad was too hard with very little give to it.  After a couple months I did the whole seat over again with a home made seat pan shaped to fit and the highest density foam I could find. It is much better now.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #36 - 06/24/15 at 09:19:19

Actually isn't the later S40 seat gel already? I seem to remember reading that here somewhere?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 06/24/15 at 09:23:24

Art Webb wrote on 06/24/15 at 09:19:19:
Actually isn't the later S40 seat gel already? I seem to remember reading that here somewhere?

No....just stiff foam.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #38 - 06/24/15 at 09:28:45

ok, bad info, then

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #39 - 06/24/15 at 09:29:16

One of the guys I ride with on trips with upgraded from a 750 ACE to a C90T BOSS and his only complaint so far has been the seat.  However, as he's gotten some break in miles on the new seat, the complaints have lessened.  Roll Eyes

I did a Victory demo days a couple of weekend ago and I test rode a Victory Gunner: http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/cruisers/gunner-titanium-metallic and it was blast.  It'd be the perfect commuter with a wind screen and the rack.

I test drove a lot of others during my search for the S40 replacement.  I'll have to write up my thoughts and post them at pictures some place.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #40 - 06/24/15 at 11:00:58

MMRanch wrote on 06/22/15 at 21:32:37:
Check-out the new Indian Scout.  100 HP and its only 450 ish pounds. !  Cool  and its perty !!  Smiley

100Hp and 538 lbs...
starting at 10999, but when I went to customize it started at 11899.

Pretty thing though. The biggest dealership in town is really pushing the Indians.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #41 - 06/24/15 at 11:08:44

Dave wrote on 06/24/15 at 07:51:46:
The king of mail order seat mods is a guy called Spencer.  It appears that it costs about $ 50 - $ 75 for him to make custom padding for your seat.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I contacted Spencer via email and got a super quick reply. Basically I need to send my seat in with some details on the 'problem area' and some pics of my riding posture and he'll handle it. It'll be $50 basic service and material plus $25 for the supracore material that he recommends. I cover shipping both ways in addition to those fees.

Sounds like he knows his game and he says that if you get your seat back and can tell it has been worked on (visually, not comfortably) then he didn't do his job.

So...I'll try to make note of the before and after and provide some feedback that we can maybe save in the "tech" or "how to" section for one of the possibilities in seat modification options (unless this is already in there...I didn't look Shocked Shocked)

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 06/24/15 at 12:40:18

On the Honda ST Forum Spencer is a near God.....but I don't believe anyone on this forum has used him yet.

The ST1100 I bought has a Spencerized seat as the previous female owner could barely touch the ground with the stock seat.  If he built the seat for her.....her bottom was shaped a lot different than mine is! Wink.

The longest ride I took so far was 570 miles in one day......and my butt was tired when I got off!  I think a sheepskin or furry cover like Serowbot had might have helped...I think my tired but was caused more by the lack of ventilation between my butt and the vinyl than the seat padding caused.  My butt couldn't "breathe".

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #43 - 06/24/15 at 13:06:29

It's worth $100 to me to not screw it up and let the expert do his thing.

I'll probably get s sheepskin for longer rides and see how that does in combination with the new seat. 80% of my riding is in town for short 15-20 minute stretches, but I want to be comfy as I can as I start going on more group rides, etc.

BTW, my butt breathes pretty well, it's just that it exhales only and my wife usually doesn't like it when I do it in the bed  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 06/24/15 at 13:24:34

stewmills wrote on 06/24/15 at 13:06:29:
BTW, my butt breathes pretty well, it's just that it exhales only and my wife usually doesn't like it when I do it in the bed  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Scuba divers call it "outgassing"....well at least when it is the built up Nitrogen that you are getting rid of.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:21:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.