Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me (Read 735 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me
Reply #15 - 06/22/15 at 15:14:52

Don't worry. The bottle won't be there when you get off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #16 - 06/22/15 at 15:59:49

OK, so I'm an old man, 6' & 187 lbs. but I do like my comfort. After I did the mods on the S40 (and before I replaced the tires) I did a test ride of 360 miles. Ranged from 4,500 ft. alt to 8,000 ft., 50 miles of I-25, the rest were back roads, including some "interesting" steep downhill twistys with reverse banking.   Nine hours lapsed time driveway to driveway, 58.4 MPG. My only complaint is that the factory 'shield is too short, (too many bugs in the face shield.)    The S40 is the most comfortable  "out of the box" bike I've ever had, the others required changing the bars, the seat, or both.  (Cross the country, the Sierras, Calif. Highway 1 / 101 SD to Canada = '70 CB750.   The Sierras, highway  1/101 LA to Canada = '73 Norton 750.   Blue Ridge, East coast back roads = '95 750 Nighthawk.) The S 40 isn't a 70+ tour bike like the Hondas, or as great in the twisty bits as the Norton, BUT since I putt along at 60 +/-  and take a break every 100 miles or so I'm quite content.      Smiley  
In Sept. I'll head out with a friend for a long weekend putt. I figure that I'll clock between 1,000 and 1,500 miles that weekend. Smiley

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #17 - 06/22/15 at 20:27:02

I would go with the Airhawk, I feel it helps and you must face the fact that after two hundred miles, your arse will be riveted. I've just come in from about 150 miles on a glorious winters day. Arse isn't riveted but I'm shaking with cold, should have worn over trousers. I can't offer experience, but if you want bigger, have you considered the Yamaha Bolt?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 06/22/15 at 21:18:40

Bot ,  Thats a nice looking bike ... Well done !  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 06/22/15 at 21:32:37

Check-out the new Indian Scout.  100 HP and its only 450 ish pounds. !  Cool  and its perty !!  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 06/22/15 at 21:34:33

old.indian wrote on 06/22/15 at 15:59:49:
OK, so I'm an old man, 6' & 187 lbs. but I do like my comfort. After I did the mods on the S40 (and before I replaced the tires) I did a test ride of 360 miles. Ranged from 4,500 ft. alt to 8,000 ft., 50 miles of I-25, the rest were back roads, including some "interesting" steep downhill twistys with reverse banking.   Nine hours lapsed time driveway to driveway, 58.4 MPG. My only complaint is that the factory 'shield is too short, (too many bugs in the face shield.)    The S40 is the most comfortable  "out of the box" bike I've ever had, the others required changing the bars, the seat, or both.  (Cross the country, the Sierras, Calif. Highway 1 / 101 SD to Canada = '70 CB750.   The Sierras, highway  1/101 LA to Canada = '73 Norton 750.   Blue Ridge, East coast back roads = '95 750 Nighthawk.) The S 40 isn't a 70+ tour bike like the Hondas, or as great in the twisty bits as the Norton, BUT since I putt along at 60 +/-  and take a break every 100 miles or so I'm quite content.      Smiley  
In Sept. I'll head out with a friend for a long weekend putt. I figure that I'll clock between 1,000 and 1,500 miles that weekend. Smiley

You might be old, but you're a tuff old man.
There's no
Salute
smiley,,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 06/23/15 at 03:59:57

A friend sent me an email....his brother is selling his 1974 Moto Guzzi V7 sport.  Probably not a step up in comfort....but definitely a performance improvement!

Seriously.....there are plenty of bikes out there to choose from  and most likely there will be one that is right for you.  The problem is finding one that fits you and your riding style.  The Savage is well suited to your height/weight.....you will find that a lot of the Sport Touring or Adventure Touring bikes have too tall of seat heights for you (and me with my 30" inseam).  Go to dealers and test ride some bikes....ride some friends bikes....see what you like.

The Savage is a great bike for roads with speeds below 65.....it will do 70 without much fuss......if you want to ride 75-80 that is a bit much for extended rides on a stock bike.  (I have modified my engine and gearing and it now will cruise comfortably at 70-80 mph speeds - however it does cost money to do that and I could have sold the Savage and bought a bigger/faster bike for the money.....but I like my Savage).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #22 - 06/23/15 at 09:25:11

As an FSO.. and now on a much bigger bike.. I offer up the following:
Fun: the savage wins..
taking bumps: the Vstar 1100 wins

Thats pretty much it. I like both bikes.

The Shadow should not be that big a "step up" maybe a step sideways. Different, but not really BETTER.  I am with JOG on the W650, but then I like the Triumph America as well.

Good luck to you!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 06/23/15 at 09:47:53

For me personally......the cruiser seating is not the most comfortable.  Sitting low and reaching up for the handlebars while my legs are out in front of me makes my back and butt tired.

I much prefer a "Touring" or "Standard" style of seating where the handlebars are just below my chest, and the footpegs are underneath me.  This seating style seems to keep some of my leg weight in the footpegs and takes it away from my butt.

I am also OK with the "sport touring" seating where you are leaning forward a bit.

I imagine the "sport bike" seating could be tiring on long rides, especially for the passenger.  When I see young girls riding on the back of a sport bike with their legs all folded up and their body all bent over......I just can't help but feel sorry for them.

If I was looking for a bike in the $ 3,000 - $ 5,000 range right now....I would be looking at a BMW RT 1100/1150.  Plenty of power, great handling, very reliable and comfortable.....the downside is that when you need parts they may not be available locally and are a bit expensive.  I currently have a Honda ST1100 and it was very affordable, very cheap to buy and keep ($ 3,400 for a 2002 with 34,000 miles....the only downside of me is the seat is a bit high for my 30" inseam and the bike is kinda' heavy for me to hold up when sitting stilll (once under motion it rides great).

ST1100ABS_AUG31_2002.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 06/23/15 at 11:37:57

I have two bikes; the S40 and an old XS 1100
comfort, especially on longer rides, XS wins hands down
handling, XS also wins (sorry guys, a well balanced riding position gives me the confidence to USE the bikes cornering ability, and less rake = quicker steering)
I prefer the S40 due to engine vibes (I find a single sounds / feels more relaxed, for me personally) and the ease of parking lot maneuvers (the XS is TALL and HEAVY, making it hard to back on uneven surfaces)
If I hadda have one, though, especially if it also had to be my main transport, it's be the XS

however, if the seat is your only gripe, fix it
if I had just the S40, I'd likely think about the CS2 kit
on th other hand, for that money, I could get a nighthawk
otoh, I still like a single better

Undecided

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #25 - 06/23/15 at 19:45:27

Ok...so I went and drove an '06 C50 today and honestly, I hated it. I am not sure if there are different styles (other than cosmetics) that have different bars, etc. but this one was just not for me. It was much wider than I expected . I guess the guys on the internet riding them are bigger and make the bike appear smaller.  And I guess I am so used to the S40 drag bars that driving the C50 made me feel like I was trying to steer an elephant by his ears.

So, C50 is no longer a candidate.  I am going to still look around and maybe drive a Shadow 750 as some of them seem to be more along the S40 set-up, but when I come home and look at my S40 sitting there it really is not a bad looking bike, so maybe I need to do some research on the seat upgrade and let go of the idea of trading up. Huh

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 06/23/15 at 19:59:48

Let go of the ideathat trading bigger equals trading up.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #27 - 06/23/15 at 20:22:17

stewmills wrote on 06/23/15 at 19:45:27:
Ok...so I went and drove an '06 C50 today and honestly, I hated it. I am not sure if there are different styles (other than cosmetics) that have different bars, etc. but this one was just not for me. It was much wider than I expected . I guess the guys on the internet riding them are bigger and make the bike appear smaller.  And I guess I am so used to the S40 drag bars that driving the C50 made me feel like I was trying to steer an elephant by his ears.

So, C50 is no longer a candidate.  I am going to still look around and maybe drive a Shadow 750 as some of them seem to be more along the S40 set-up, but when I come home and look at my S40 sitting there it really is not a bad looking bike, so maybe I need to do some research on the seat upgrade and let go of the idea of trading up. Huh

All the Boulevard line EXCEPT the S40 comes in 3 trim levels:
C (lassic) tends to hark back to the big 'ol cruisers of yesteryear, with fat tires, skirted fenders, and big cushy seats
S (port) are more bobberish, with smaller fenders, narrower tires, and drag bars
M (uscle) takes the S and blacks it out, and adds mag wheels

all the Boulevards above the S40 are bigger, heavier, liquid cooled bikes that are more suited to highway use and are less tossable
The shadow 750 I sat on was not to my liking, controls more forward than the S40, and less ground clearance, YMMV

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #28 - 06/23/15 at 20:33:07

The shadow 750 is a bit bulkier also, but the bar position won't seem quite as wide as the C50 and the body won't either.
But it IS heavier and still the seat will need to be "adjusted" for softness, my buds 750 had a bit of "mods" to help him adapt to it (but he is like 6'2").
With the 750 you also will "struggle" to keep up with the bigger bikes, although it won't vibrate half as much or sound like it is screaming its last breath at 80, but you are limited to 5 gears and always reaching for the 6th one that never appears.
I had a Honda 1300 (same frame style bigger engine) and went through a gamut of seats and mods to them, I still have a couple in my garage left over that I haven't sold.
Like most folks, see if you can find a cheap seat on Ebay and adapt it to fit... I think MMR has a Harley one, I actually mod'd one of the vtx1300 seats to fit (made me sit a bit higher), I took it off, but I am thinking on re-installing it now that I broke the windscreen I was using.
Make it comfortable first, and keep up with your maintenance, it will stay healthy.... like Timex always used to say... "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" (see what I done there?). Roll Eyes

(edited to add photo of vtx1300 seat on savage)

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #29 - 06/23/15 at 21:48:07

stewmills wrote on 06/22/15 at 13:33:09:
 ... What don't you like ....
I just feel like when I am running it steady at 60-65mph for 10+ minutes that it's just wearing the poor thing out....

I went to the GEEIA Reunion in OKC in September 2007.

Gardena to Holbrook, 570 miles.  Holbrook to Amarillo, 520 miles.  Just 260 miles more to OKC, arriving about 1 pm.  The Savage is just fine doing 65-70 mph down the Interstates.
-- 1000 miles from home in less than 34 hours

Tens of thousands of miles does not bother the Savage.  Neglecting your oil does.

You cannot know what bike you want until you buy one and ride for a while.  Some people go on from the little Savage to a bigger bike.  Some of them like it.  Some sell the big bike and new S40.  Some go smaller.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:18:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.