Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me (Read 735 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me
06/22/15 at 12:51:47

Ok, long story short, I did the Dragon yesterday with my friend from MO (I skipped the savage run last weekend so I could see my old friend). We had a blast and that's another story to be told another time, but I am wondering if it's time to step up to a slightly bigger bike?  I rode about 250 miles yesterday all over the area up there and had a blast. I was able to keep up with the group on their bigger bikes and never felt like they were getting away from me, but boy did my arse and such hurt afterwards.  Yeah, my ailments are not necessarily the bike's fault because it was a looooong day, but I also felt like I was just punishing my little S40 barreling up and down all of those mountains as well as stretching it out when I could. She did great and ran like a champ, but I could tell she was a tired little girl when we were done.

So, the questions are:
a) If I am loosely considering stepping up to a larger bike, why would I NOT want to do that?
b) I am 5'6", ~165lbs.  I have been eyeballing the C50 and the Honda Shadow as potential upgrades.
C50 pros and cons?
Shadow pros and cons?

Note that my forte is not do do the Dragon every weekend, but still want to be able to tackle a good curvy road when the opportunity permits.    Wink

Thanks!!!!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me
Reply #1 - 06/22/15 at 13:04:44

If I had known that the Kawasaki W650 existed I would not have bought the Savage or the Moto Guzzi.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 06/22/15 at 13:09:24

What is the current condition of your Savage ?
What mod's have been done if any ?
What don't you like about it other than the seat ?

I dare say your Savage is not tired unless you have mega-miles on it and it has not been cared for properly by a previous owner.

If you just need a more comfortable seat then change it out.
If you are simply looking for justification to buy a bigger bike, then just go buy one.  Then you can have 2 bikes and use them for different purposes.  
I have multiples and I do.
There are many on this site who have multiple bikes and use them accordingly.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/22/15 at 13:10:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/22/15 at 13:04:44:
If I had known that the Kawasaki W650 existed I would not have bought the Savage or the Moto Guzzi.

What you say ? ?   Shocked    Grin

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 06/22/15 at 13:33:09

What is the current condition of your Savage ?
Excellent IMO

What mod's have been done if any ?
2008 LS650 - Dyna Muffler Conversion - Air Mix Screw 3/4 Turn Out - Rotella T6 w/Redline ZDDP - Seat Lift Mod - Speedo Rattle Mod - 140/90-15 Rear Tire

What don't you like about it other than the seat ?
Nothing else ergonomically. I just feel like when I am running it steady at 60-65mph for 10+ minutes that it's just wearing the poor thing out. And I am hoping to start easing into some short weekend trips where I may want to ride out versus truck the bike.

I dare say your Savage is not tired unless you have mega-miles on it and it has not been cared for properly by a previous owner.
4700 easy miles, except for the 250 yesterday. Those were pretty hard. Got the bike with 408 miles on it in mint condition.

If you just need a more comfortable seat then change it out.
I might consider that. Maybe being around my buddy and all of the big bikes got me excited and it'll wear off in a few weeks?  

If you are simply looking for justification to buy a bigger bike, then just go buy one.  Then you can have 2 bikes and use them for different purposes.
No way the wife will let me keep both.  It's going to be one or the other or I'll be in trouble and moving in with one of you guys. 

IMG_20150620_183024.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/22/15 at 13:36:32

Didn't say I wouldn't have regretted it.
The low CG and seat kept me from dropping it at more than one stop.
That was The most likely to fall time for me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/22/15 at 14:07:22

stewmills wrote on 06/22/15 at 12:51:47:
I was able to keep up with the group on their bigger bikes and never felt like they were getting away from me, but boy did my arse and such hurt afterwards.  

Yeah, did the same and have plans to better the seat which is currently a solo bobber seat.  Of course the stock seat wouldn't have been any better.  You can get it reupholstered, there are air hawk pads and any number of seats from donor bikes that have been done.

Quote:
She did great and ran like a champ, but I could tell she was a tired little girl when we were done.

There, fixed it for you.

Kept to within the speed limits around the dragon, there's not many bikes that'll beat it for fun or money.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 06/22/15 at 14:11:18

verslagen1 wrote on 06/22/15 at 14:07:22:
She did great and ran like a champ, but I could tell she was a tired little girl when we were done.
There, fixed it for you.

OUCH. now my arse hurts again  Grin Grin Grin

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 06/22/15 at 14:16:08

Stew

I met a feller in Texas back in April that has over 130,000 miles on his Savage.  Shocked

I put a modified Harley Soft-tail seat on my S-40.   Between the Dragon run we just finished and a CMA long weekend the same week me and the S-40 did almost 3000 miles together in 10 days.   Some of them running down the super-slab at 75mph  and some of them put-puting the N.C. back roads.
Some tank-fulls were 50 mpg and some were 65 mpg.  

Keep the S-40  --- I've had and rode lots of bike over the last 45+ years and I'll tell ya "The S-40 is as good as any of them."     I went through 4 seats on my Sortster before I found one I liked ... but it still ain't as comfortable as my S-40.   One of the guys ridding with us was on a Harley 1430 cc bike and we all kept-up with each other just fine. ... he allmost could keep-up on the Dragon even  Grin Grin

If some rider on a larger bike ever give ya grief : "Just turn the conversation toward MPG and watch them curl-up in a corner and HIDE !   Grin

If ya go to a two-piece seat you can modify the connector between the seats easier than you can modify one big seat pan.  Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 06/22/15 at 14:16:11

You guys are crackin' me up here today.  Too funny.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 06/22/15 at 14:19:12

If you're not wanting to cruise over 70mph, or travel 2 up... I don't see any advantage to bigger...
Get a sheepskin seat pad... Mine's faux sheepskin, homemade (buddies wife sews)... makes the seat 100% more comfy...
Speeds under 70,.. you aren't straining or hurting your Savage a bit...
... 75+ all day,... you might want a bigger bike...

Seat cover also keeps it cool in summer and warm in winter...
...(you wouldn't believe how hot black vinyl gets in 100'f+ sun)... Shocked...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/22/15 at 14:24:29

I don't believe the C50 is an upgrade.........most likely the S40 is a faster and more nimble bike in the mountains.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/22/15 at 14:35:12

Serowbot wrote on 06/22/15 at 14:19:12:
If you're not wanting to cruise over 70mph, or travel 2 up... I don't see any advantage to bigger...
Get a sheepskin seat pad... Mine's faux sheepskin, homemade (buddies wife sews)... makes the seat 100% more comfy...

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/rerun/pulley016.jpg

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/rerun/kit021.jpg

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/tm002.jpg

buddies wife sews)...

That is just lame. Everybody knows Muppets have a personal seamstress.
Somebody has to keep elbows and knees from leaking polyester.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/22/15 at 14:42:05

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. After this Dragon run I have over 17,000 miles on my 06 S40 that I got about 3 years ago with 4,000 miles on it. I generally try to ride to work at least once a week which is approximately 35 miles each way, a good part of that on the HOV doing 65-70 (sometimes a bit more). I upgraded to the airhawk seat which helps, but after 45 minutes or more I am squirming. For my regular riding and for the Dragon, the bike is great.

I have been on the superslab at a consistent 75-80 and there it does feel like I am pushing it (and mpg dropped to about 43). If I were to tour more often I would probably want a slightly bigger bike, but I would still hate giving up the light weight of the savage.

p.s. I like the M50 over the C50 and I think the Shadow Spirit 1100 is nice espcially for touring but it is about 200 lbs heavier and average mpg is much lower.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/22/15 at 14:44:47

Serowbot wrote on 06/22/15 at 14:19:12:

That's just what beast needs... a little fur.  does it come w/out the bottle?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:13:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › I am thinking about a bigger bike....help me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.