Send Topic Print
Seafoam? (Read 327 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Re: Seafoam?
Reply #15 - 06/06/15 at 17:05:15

Alright so. When i got home i refilled. Noted everything. I went to work on the 2lane and back on the interstate. With normal riding habots I came 0.13 gallons of what that trip usually would take. Im going to do more testing and see if i can come up with a definite anwer. For right now i could blame weather and humidity in the changes

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #16 - 06/06/15 at 21:38:48

Seafoam is the only cleaner I bother with.  I've used it to soak things and watch deposits dissolve as well as running it through.

There's a guy on youtube that tested a whole lineup of fuel system cleaners: techron, STP, lucas, seafoam, etc.  He used different cars for each one, borescoping the top of the cylinder through the spark plug hole for a before and after comparison.  Granted, it isn't looking at the valves or injectors, but it's something.  Seafoam was the ONLY one in the lineup that made any appreciable difference in carbon buildup.

Just my $0.02, YMMV.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 06/07/15 at 10:33:32

When my S40 sat up fopr a long time after I got a flat on it, I started it every week and let it Idle, but never revved on it
by the time I thought to, it wouldn't rev unless you rolled the throttle on very slowly
Seafoam, and run it once a day, rev on it
after a while it would rev normally
Might;ve been more frequent running, might;ve been the Seafom, either way, it rides well now  (needs re-jetting though)

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #18 - 06/07/15 at 12:58:24

I use a little seafoam (like capful) in my 2 cycle engines (trimmer, chainsaw) each year with the first tank.  I can see the difference (i.e. chainsaw not running good, add a little sea-foam, it starts working better within a few minutes.  

I have used a little in the lawn mowers too, I think it helps.  

Neilap, I think you may be right.  My experience is that weather, humidity, pressure, etc. make a big difference in how the bike runs.  

(not that anybody asked....)
Another snakeoil that worked better than I expected was LUCAS power steering leak stopper.  About the begining of May,  I found the PS fluid in my Honda Odyssey van was low...added a bottle of NAPA PS fluid, 2 days later empty again,  seemed to be leaking out of the steering rack somewhere.  With 235,000 miles on an '02 I'm not about to spend a thousand or so on getting that fixed, so I figured what the heck.  Put a bottle of LUCAS in, and whaddaya know!  Reservoir is still full.  

« Last Edit: 06/07/15 at 17:30:27 by runwyrlph »  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/07/15 at 14:21:49

Run.

For the day when the seal s give up.

I watched enough to believe it is enough to get you through it.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+replace+power+steering+pump+2002+h...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 06/08/15 at 11:15:29

JOG he said the rack is leaking, not the pump
I'd DIY, as a rack still isn't a big deal on most cars, but I used to do dat shtuff for a living

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 06/08/15 at 15:33:37

bummer, no way the rack is easier...
But U tube probably has it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #22 - 06/08/15 at 19:18:08

Looks like you have to lift up the engine a little with a hoist, remove the engine mounts and drop the sub frame....YUCK!

The worst part is that I'm the guy who watches few youtube videos and says "oh yeah, I can do that"  - generally I get it done eventually, but always end up wishing I'd just payed to get it done.  I'm lucky enough to have a local independent shop that does good work for reasonable prices.  I just hate to put any multiple hundred dollar work into a car that could die of any number of things at any time, so i try to DIY it on the cheap ... (I spend a little time on the odyssey club forum too)

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #23 - 06/09/15 at 21:26:14

I definitely understand that, no way I'd drop 100s of bux in a car whose condition I didn't trust
then again, both my car and truck are older than your van, and the car has 300k on it  (ex taxi) and i just took it to San Marcos and back early this year (300 mile round trip)

To be fair, if it had blown up, I'da probably left it wherever it stopped  Grin

My Truck is a '96, and I'm fixin to drive it to North Carolina haulin two savages  (2000 mile round trip)
And my ex used to call me a pessimist  Grin

IP Logged
Canadian_kiwi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/24/15 at 18:18:18

There's such controversy over sea foam etc if it works for ya be all means use it!

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #25 - 06/24/15 at 19:02:54

Sea-foam.
Of all the, ’Snake Oils’, I have used.
Sea-foam & Sta-Bil work for me.

4, 5 gal GI cans,  Three are reg 10-12% Water Crap gas,
used in the lawn mowers, which are run reg.

NON-OXY, is in one, it it is used in the S-40,
and all Oil/Gas mix things, and in the seldom used things.
Tillers/Snow blower/Generator.
Or ANYTHING that is  STORED.

In ALL of them, I put, a ‘cap’ full of sea foam in and 1/2 oz, of ’Sta-Bil’.
(Per 5 gal)
Works for me, and I have tried a lot of them.

« Last Edit: 06/25/15 at 03:56:58 by Dave »  

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - 06/25/15 at 11:57:31

Serowbot wrote on 06/05/15 at 17:46:26:
Up that shift to 5th to 45 or 50mph... it's not good for your engine to lug it...

I shift into 4th at 47-50.  4th for me starts to get sluggish below that.  I'll shift into 5th around 62-65.

There's a shift points thread that Neilap might be interested in here http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1378653517/6

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:49:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seafoam?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.