Send Topic Print
Gas Tank Broke Free (Read 326 times)
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Gas Tank Broke Free
04/15/15 at 12:52:47

Soo, as Murphy would have it, after 25k miles I discovered the bracket that was once welded to the take has "de-welded." I get off work yesterday and flip the raptor to the on position and I notice some play in the tank and thinking it was the front grommets I see if the tank moves forwards and back, it doesn't. So I lift the back of the tank and it come right up minus the tank mounting bracket that is still firmly attached to the frame/seat bolts.

This will be my first foray into the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty (bought April 2013) so I hope all goes well. Anyone ever have this problem? Anyone ever get warranty work done?

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Gas Tank Broke Free
Reply #1 - 04/15/15 at 13:13:34

Yep....the bracket has broken off on other bikes, on some just the tank cracks and leaks but remains attached.

Not sure why some do and some don't......just be careful that the bracket is in the proper rubber mounts in the front and back - and that the bracket fits without any kind of bending required (no stresses),.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/15/15 at 14:17:15

Yep.. mine broke back in 2010

I use that steel putty two part stuff.
And put over.. a WHOLE lot of miles on the bike since then.  (need to check records to see how many, but 50,000 +)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 04/15/15 at 14:23:14

Will be interesting to see how the dealer/warranty treats you with that type of damage. Keep us updated.  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #4 - 04/15/15 at 16:06:48

EJID wrote on 04/15/15 at 14:23:14:
Will be interesting to see how the dealer/warranty treats you with that type of damage. Keep us updated.  Huh

Yep, Youzguyz, that is near exact what happened.

EJID, I'm not optimistic but I paid for the extended warranty and my company, several consumer protection groups and the State of California each provide some sort of legal aid assistance or another for these situations.

The stealership that sold the warranty isn't off the hook either, they benefitted financially so no "sorry, the warranty company declined so there's nothing we can do" is acceptable.  Wink

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/17/15 at 15:28:32

that is the spot where mine started to stress fracture at, luckily I caught it when i did the raptor switch this winter and welded it back. mine was a 2003 model

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #6 - 04/20/15 at 16:16:03

EJID wrote on 04/15/15 at 14:23:14:

Well, back and forth between the dealership and the warranty company. Some of the usual Magnuson/Moss violations have started such as why I change my own oil and not pay the stealership to do it. Not sure what the oil has to do with a fuel tank defect (nothing) but a casual mention that it is illegal to require consumers to patronize a particular stealership to qualify for warranty work sure changes their tune. It's a game, they know it and they play it with every customer hoping we are not educated.

On a side note, the guy keeps asking about the mileage and there is lots of drama about the 25k+ but the warranty is 5 years/UNLIMITED mileage and I am just starting year 3 in May. Should a thought of that before selling the warranty.  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/21/15 at 03:43:09

So how long do they expect you to park your bike while they figure this out?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/21/15 at 22:29:22

That's a known failure spot. This forum is an established source of problem identification and solutions. Id walk in, calmly, and tell the manager/owner
I was preparing to sue. Take the forum info. Let him look at the strength of knowledge that is prepared to stand with you.
Give us the phone number of the place. Id bet that in a week they would change their whole attitude.
I have time. I WILL call. Give me a name..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #9 - 04/22/15 at 12:10:11

Dave wrote on 04/21/15 at 03:43:09:
So how long do they expect you to park your bike while they figure this out?

They refused to answer my question regarding if it was safe to ride. I grilled the service manager about if the bike was safe to ride and I couldn't get anything more than, "It's your bike, it's up to you", "I can't tell you that/what to do" and "well, it's definitely broken".

I stated several times that I am no mechanic and that they are the experts and should provide a professional opinion. So I ended up saying that because they are not advising me of any dangers that I take it that their professional opinion is it is safe to ride until fixed. Guy didn't bat an eye.

Of course I am not riding and have a backup but, yeah, it is my commuter ride so I would be screwed if I did not have a backup.

Btw, still no word back, calling at lunch AGAIN.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 04/22/15 at 12:16:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/21/15 at 22:29:22:
That's a known failure spot. This forum is an established source of problem identification and solutions. Id walk in, calmly, and tell the manager/owner
I was preparing to sue. Take the forum info. Let him look at the strength of knowledge that is prepared to stand with you.
Give us the phone number of the place. Id bet that in a week they would change their whole attitude.
I have time. I WILL call. Give me a name..

Expecting something like this I already researched the local consumer attorney, State agencies and a couple of consumer groups. I know I could easily do a backyard job or pay a trivial amount for a weld but I paid for the warranty expressly for situations such as this.

I figure a demand letter from the attorney should get things rolling plus there is always small claims. But, if things progress I would happily accept your support  Wink

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #11 - 04/27/15 at 09:22:45

Update: turns out that I do not have the Suzuki warranty as I thought but from some other place with a long history of screwing people. My claim was denied because I have the lowest level of coverage but I actually have the highest level so I go into the stealership to collect the evidence for the attorney and the manager happened to be there. I show him my warranty contract, which includes the tank btw, and he resubmits the claim himself. We will see what happens but this is going into week two now so my patience declining rapidly.

On a side note, I think the cam chain is on the way out so I will be filing my next claim very soon. Will keep you posted on that adventure as well.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/27/15 at 11:29:11

Are you riding with the broken fuel tank still on the bike?

The cam chain adventure might be interesting.....does your dealer actually know how a Savage works?  Do you think they understand that the cam chains were out on this bike?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/27/15 at 12:08:50

Could the section of the tank that is prone to breaking off be reenforced with an additional piece of steel spot welded to it?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 04/27/15 at 12:21:51

Kenny G wrote on 04/27/15 at 12:08:50:
Could the section of the tank that is prone to breaking off be reenforced with an additional piece of steel spot welded to it?Kenny G

Well yes, but most of them don't break and last a very long time.  About once or twice a years somebody breaks (or cracks) one.  Sometimes the crack goes into the tank, and a leak develops.

Most folks don't go welding on their bike when something isn't broken.  They usually wait until it breaks.

I also don't know of any pattern.  Folks who ride mostly highway, mostly city, dirt road, commuter, tourer.......just not enough information to identify the cause.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 06:51:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Tank Broke Free

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.