Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RYCA CS-1 Speedometer Cable (Read 148 times)
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
RYCA CS-1 Speedometer Cable
03/18/15 at 16:41:25

So I've been putting this issue off for 2 years now but I kinda miss the odometer feature of the speedo so it's back on the agenda.

About 2 months into the CS-1 riding adventure the speedo cable decided to break right where it goes into the engine.  I pulled out the pin, screwed the outer casing back on and have been riding it that way since.

I thought I'd routed the cable along the frame sufficiently to allow it to freely spin in the casing but apparently not.  And that being the case, I have about 6" too much cable (from the RYCA kit).

Any suggestions/pictures on how to route 40" on this tiny frame? I've also been looking into a custom cable instead - recommendations there?

As always, thanks for the input.

Loving the CS-1. Great to see more builds popping up!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: RYCA CS-1 Speedometer Cable
Reply #1 - 03/18/15 at 17:15:24

My speedo cable seems be just the right length. I didn't measure it but I wonder if RYCA made an adjustment to the length.

Notwithstanding, you could easily loose some of that length by routing it  from the right side behind the headlight and then down the left side of the frame, past the carb and then back to the right side.

Is the cable now broken?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/18/15 at 17:28:23

Holly,

I am interested in doing the Ryca Speedometer soon and the only thing slowing me down has been reading about the speedometer cable being too long.

One of us should probably contact Ryca and see if they have adjusted the length of the cable.

If anyone is about to install a Ryca Speedometer maybe they would be kind enough to measure the cable and post it here.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 03/18/15 at 18:01:38

My kit came with a 40" cable which appears to be what's on RYCA's website as a "spare" but maybe not what's in the newer kits.  I've looked at tons of pictures in their gallery trying to figure out what people have done with this thing. I routed mine along the right side of the frame but to do so required a pretty noteable "S" shape.

When I pulled the cable out last summer I figured 34" or so would be a good length for the path I chose for routing it.

I'll try to give them a call this week and gets some feedback.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #4 - 03/18/15 at 20:21:11

Holly,

Thank you.

I am anxious to see what the current length Ryca cable is.

If you are thinking 34" and they are not yet providing the correct length I will try to find a supplier for custom cables.

Keep your broken cable because often they can be shortened on the outside and a new inner cable installed. Usually the biggest problem in having custom cables produced is having the correct ends from the existing cable.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/19/15 at 03:05:55

I need to do a little searching to find it - but some folks are using a Suzuki Tachometer cable.....I don't remember which bike.

(Gone off to search.......)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/19/15 at 03:21:39

Well my search revealed what may not be good news.  The Suzuki tach cable is long, and it works perfect for folks mounting the tach up on the handle bar risers...most likely too long for your clip on handlebars.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345772898/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1408385970/1#1

You might email Ryan or Casey and see if they have changed their cable length.  Since you are a "Cover Girl" for them....they will help you out I am sure!

« Last Edit: 03/19/15 at 08:32:58 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #7 - 03/19/15 at 05:25:20

Dave,

For what it is worth.

I am going to be using Super Bars and mounting the Speedometer on one of Ryca's mounts made for the risers. The riser are very low.

I am reluctant to order if the cable is too long.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 03/19/15 at 20:30:57

Emailed with Ryan at RYCA. The 40" speedo cable is still their standard so I've asked for a recommended routing - it's not shown in the build video. Will update when I hear back.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #9 - 03/19/15 at 20:45:33

Holly,

Thank you very much.

The Ryca speedometer and tach on my bike will be mounted on the risers as I am going for a setup like Ryca has on the trackers.

I am sure I can find a speedometer shop that can shorten cables, and possibly repair your cable if just the end of the inner broke off.

I just checked online and found the speedometer repair shop that I used most of my life is still in business. I will telephone them tomorrow.

In the meantime double check the length that you require and I will see if they want your cable to repair, or possibly they will need the cable for the fittings on the ends.

I will get back to you tomorrow.

We probably should switch over to private messages before we start exchanging addresses.

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 03/19/15 at 22:29:03 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #10 - 03/20/15 at 07:26:12

Holly,

I had no luck with my old speedometer repair back east.

I did find a speedometer repair service within driving distance of my home in North Texas. The guy has been repairing speedometers and cables for 53 years. I think we have a chance with this guy.

If you want to send me your broken cable I will deliver it to him and get a price on having your cable shortened and repaired. Since the Ryca cable is $60.00 I think we should have a budget of $50.00 or less. If you agree with this PM me and we can work out the details.

Double check your measurements.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
Reply #11 - 03/20/15 at 16:32:15

Hi Kenny - thank you for the offer. I emailed with Ryan at RYCA who offered me a good deal on a replacement. I'm going to go that route since I know it'll work once it's installed.

For those curious how Ryan routes the cable on his builds: directly down from the speedo until it's level with the under side of the bottom of the tank, then along the bottom of the tank until it meets up with the clutch cable then down with the clutch cable to the engine. It's not attached to the frame anywhere. I assume at some point it's loosely coupled with something to keep it from going rogue.

I had it routed under the tank along the frame out of sight and secured at least once - hence a much shorter route to the same place. I'll go fix my rookie mistake now ...

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

~ Holly

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #12 - 03/20/15 at 19:03:23

Holly,

Did Ryan send you a picture of the cable routing?

Ryan sent me the picture and if I knew how to post pics on here I would post it. I will go with his cable rather than having a custom cable made.

Kenny G
« Last Edit: 03/20/15 at 21:02:17 by Kenny G »  

Ryca20Speedometer20Cable20Routing_zpsk7dxae5i.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 03/20/15 at 19:42:24

when you got a single pic, just attach it (there's a browse button below when creating a post) and it'll show up below your post.

WWW   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #14 - 03/20/15 at 21:03:19

Verslagen,

Thank You.

Kenny G

IP Logged