Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any advice on a bare bones RYCA build? (Read 66 times)
foofopps
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Any advice on a bare bones RYCA build?
03/20/15 at 18:53:19

I live in Chicago and had been searching for a cool 'thumper' to commute on.  I found out about the RYCA CS-1 and then a few weeks ago I got a steal on a 2007 s40 with 1900 miles for $1300.  I rode it 50 miles home and I loved the size of the bike, I'm only 5'4" 140 pounds.  I was not so thrilled about the acceleration and putt putt exhaust but I will work on that.

Anyway, I have read through a handful of RYCA builds and I have seen a few that went over the top.  I was wondering if anyone had found ways to do a more basic RYCA?  Is there a fuel tank option out there that is a cafe style that will work?  I do have a welder and I can fab my own mounts.  This would allow me splurge in other areas like an 18" front wheel.  Anyone lower the front more than 2"?  I lowered my Yamaha xs650 3" in the front and love it.

Please post links to builds or ideas for alternate fuel tanks, alternate brake lights/plate mounts, front and rear slightly lower ride height options...

What's a thread without tons pictures!  Here is my 1981 xs650 that I hardtailed.  I still have to wire the bike from scratch, then break it all down to paint and powdercoat...

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Re: Any advice on a bare bones RYCA build?
Reply #1 - 03/20/15 at 21:19:15

Nice job on the hardtail.  What's that headlight from? Heck I'd like to see what you do with a savage bobber but if I can't sway you from the cafe side I liked to see that too, I guess Smiley   You could always scour the web for parts yourself and maybe save some money. Get some progressive suspension, 12.5 rear shocks, different triple trees to change the offset. With your fab skills shouldn't be a problem for some mid controls. I think tc bros makes some nice controls for the price.  a scrambler seat would be cool or just the cowl thing or whatever they call it for the cafe. I seen one done out a hayaybusa front fender. For the gas tank and well anything else I would check out Dave's post for his thumpin special.  He talks about a few different tanks a needing a wide channel. Also he has pretty much everything for building a cafe racer in great detail and lots of great pics.  Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 03/21/15 at 03:55:48

Welcome to the forums. Nice donor bike. I did not need or use every thing that was in the RYCA kit. Knowing what I know now I'd probably just order what I need. That might have saved me $500.

I will tell you this, RYCA' kit is very well thought out and is a great place to start. Their parts are good quality and fit like they should. Their customer support has been outstanding.

It looks like you have the skills to go your own way. That will save you money, but it will introduce headaches. RYCA charges $350 for the tank cutting and welding. If you can do that yourself then you're well on your way. Also, rather then shorten the fork stoke two inches, raise the forks in the t-clamp. It will only require a $25-50 investment in an alternative t-clamp. See, I just saved you $500.

In my opinion, the Benelli tank is just perfect looking, but my gut feeling is they don't come cheap.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
foofopps
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/21/15 at 05:36:53

Thanks for the quick replies.  Thumpin build looks sweet, but is definitely more work than I want to do.  I guess I forgot to mention that my xs650 was started 2 years ago and it has been in storage for the last year.  I work 6 days a week now and don't have tons of free time, plus I have my house projects which take priority.  I like the idea of not having a lot of down time so I can enjoy riding the bike.

I will probably stick with the basic RYCA kit, maybe try the lower triple tree swap, and maybe loook into another tank.  I agree that RYCA has a great kit, I don't want to reinvent the wheel.  I would like to just make mine a little different.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:17:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any advice on a bare bones RYCA build?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.