Send Topic Print
valve stems (Read 207 times)
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
valve stems
02/28/15 at 14:22:42

Hey gang,
What do you think of these? Got my Ryca boxes yesterday and need to install the tires first but thought these valve stems looked pretty neat. (Silver ones) Had a few good reviews. I'm running the 18" Ryca wheels and tubeless Heidenau 4.00-18 tires.
http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: valve stems
Reply #1 - 02/28/15 at 14:53:43

They aren't necessary on an 18" wheel....you have plenty of room for a tire inflator and gauge.  They would help on the 15" rear wheel that was originally on the bike.

And although they probably don't weigh much....the valve stem side is already the heavy side of the rim most of the time.

And....it looks too much like "bling" for me to use it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #2 - 02/28/15 at 18:30:40

They said it was lighter than a stock rubber valve and I thought it might go along with my hand-sanded hubs and chrome rim. Still need to make sure I mount the tires without marring the rims.
Jeff

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #3 - 02/28/15 at 18:45:08

Those are not for use with rims that require inner tubes

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #4 - 02/28/15 at 19:18:42

My tires are tubeless. Smiley
Jeff

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 02/28/15 at 19:30:46

Spoked wheels require a tube, even if the tire is made for tubeless. The problem is that the spokes ferrules and the spoke holes in the wheel don't seal. Some people have been successful at sealing all the spoke holes with various methods, but I wouldn't trust it to stay sealed.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 02/28/15 at 19:40:26

Jeff71 wrote on 02/28/15 at 18:30:40:
They said it was lighter than a stock rubber valve and I thought it might go along with my hand-sanded hubs and chrome rim. Still need to make sure I mount the tires without marring the rims.
Jeff

Sounds like you perhaps you are using a spoked rim set up.   Your tires may be tubeless, yes, and a spoked rim set up can be made to be tubeless, yes it can.

But,  having tried  to do "tubeless" on a Savage rear rim you may well wind up having to use a tube before it is all over.  

Tubeless tricks on a tube rim means the bead can run out of room in the center well for the tire to make the "go in to the center" movements it has to make on the far side of the wheel to get the bead over the rim on your near, operator side.   Extra force may be required to mount the tire on the rim .... beyond what the rim, center relief section, extra rubber down in the center section and the bead can take without getting indigestion with each other.

(rubbing the 1" scar on his left wrist -- scar has shrunk some over the last 4 years to be sure).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #7 - 03/01/15 at 01:20:49

Eh, Looks like I'll go looking for some tubes.....

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/01/15 at 10:11:50

Spoked rims CAN be engineered from the factory to be tubeless (check out the rims on a 450, not 250, Honda rebel)
WHY the MC makers still use the idiotic design that requires the use of tubes, and all the problems that entails, is beyond me
Even Harley uses cast wheels on most of their model line FFS, why do we have to put up with the problematic tubed design on a bike in this day and age?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/01/15 at 12:22:09

Art Webb wrote on 03/01/15 at 10:11:50:
Even Harley uses cast wheels on most of their model line FFS, why do we have to put up with the problematic tubed design on a bike in this day and age?

I like the looks of a conventional spoked wheel...works for me.  If I were to buy a Royal Enfield or similar new bike....I would be horribly disappointed if the bike had cast wheels.

The rear of my trials bike had a spoked wheel and a tubeless tire.  Those bikes only run 4 psi in the rear and they pinch tubes between the tire and rim when you bounce into/off things - so they have a deep center in the rim and a pliable rubber strip that seals off the spoke nipples.  Some other bike have spokes that connect to the rim in a way that does not penetrate the rim.

« Last Edit: 03/01/15 at 14:19:55 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 03/01/15 at 13:38:56

why do we have to put up with the problematic tubed design on a bike in this day and age?

Because the bike was designed in the '80s!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 03/01/15 at 16:06:07

My 76 Goldwing had tubeless tires. Spoked rims.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/02/15 at 03:14:12

Steve H wrote on 03/01/15 at 16:06:07:
My 76 Goldwing had tubeless tires. Spoked rims.

You can mount tubeless tires on a spoked rim - but it requires you to have a tube in the tire as the air will still leak out the spoke nipple holes.

Here is a link to the rear wheel on a 1976 Honda 750 - it shows a spoked wheel, a rim strip, a tube, and a tire.
http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2451478&categ...

If you are running tubeless tires and no tube on your Honda - then someone must have done something to seal up all the spoke holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJueZ5prnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlItWwxiRvs

I really don't believe that converting rims is a good idea....tubeless rims have a small lip to keep the tire seated on the rim, and spoked rims don't have this lip built into them.

TubelessRim.jpg

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/02/15 at 08:07:32

Dave wrote on 03/01/15 at 12:22:09:

I like the looks of a conventional spoked wheel...works for me.  If I were to buy a Royal Enfield or similar new bike....I would be horribly disappointed if the bike had cast wheels.

The rear of my trials bike had a spoked wheel and a tubeless tire.  Those bikes only run 4 psi in the rear and they pinch tubes between the tire and rim when you bounce into/off things - so they have a deep center in the rim and a pliable rubber strip that seals off the spoke nipples.  Some other bike have spokes that connect to the rim in a way that does not penetrate the rim.

but as mentioned, you can have a spoked rim without the necessity of a tube, like Honda did with the 450 rebel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-Honda-CMX450-CMX-450-C-rebel-rear-back-wheel-rim-/...

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 03/02/15 at 08:09:04

Kris01 wrote on 03/01/15 at 13:38:56:
why do we have to put up with the problematic tubed design on a bike in this day and age?

Because the bike was designed in the '80s!  Wink

end every Harley in the lineup was designed in the 60s or before, so invalid point  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:04:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › valve stems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.