Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Project: Skinny Pete (Read 304 times)
mjbgman
YaBB Newbies

Syracuse, NY
Project: Skinny Pete
02/15/15 at 16:11:02

So I'm finally getting around to posting my bobber build.  I purchased Pete in '09 for $750, rode him for a season, and then began the tear-down over the winter of 2010.  I tore the bike down and rebuilt the engine over the winter, then lost interest and threw all the parts in a box and let them sit.  

Then, in the fall of 2012, after getting married and moving, I started working on Pete again, slowly but surely.  By spring of 2013, I had a running bike!!!  

This is my first build and I'm happy with the way it turned out.  Enjoy...

Skinny Pete as he sits today:

Day 1 & $750 lighter:

After a quick paint job and tune up:

Rode it like this for a season before the "Big Tear Down":

Mock up with my Northern Tool trailer fender:

Frame horns cut and new seat mount welded on:

Fender support/luggage rack fabbed up:

Another mock up:

Rebuild time!!!

Shocks, who needs shocks?

Underside of rear fender/tail light wiring:

Rear fender/tail light:

License plate bracket:

So then I apparently got tired of taking pictures.  So fast forward to a complete Pete:

And 120 miles later:

Soooo...maybe I missed a bolt on the engine rebuild and spun a bearing.  I'm looking for a crankcase and then it's time for engine rebuild #2...yay.

Hopefully I will be riding in a few months...

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris Kills People.
  IP Logged
nof1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Project: Skinny Pete
Reply #1 - 02/15/15 at 16:47:37

Sweet, then Sad.  Sounds like a date I had once.  Hope you get it up and running again in time for spring

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/15/15 at 17:21:36

I like the rack... the curve on the rear fender is nice too...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #3 - 02/15/15 at 19:23:43

I'd put the shocks back on so you won't need to have your wife wheel you around in a wheelchair when you're 80 since your spine has collapsed. Wink
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #4 - 02/16/15 at 15:59:40

Love it man! Simple, yet the details really pull the build together! Aces!

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
Datpoolboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport Louisiana
Reply #5 - 02/20/15 at 05:04:30

If its not too much to ask I would like to know a ballpark figure on a complete engine rebuild. I am in almost the same exact boat, bought mine for dirt cheap and now im about ready to completely tear it down and rebuild.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/20/15 at 05:46:16

Datpoolboy wrote on 02/20/15 at 05:04:30:
If its not too much to ask I would like to know a ballpark figure on a complete engine rebuild. I am in almost the same exact boat, bought mine for dirt cheap and now im about ready to completely tear it down and rebuild.

Not sure what might have been done wrong to cause the bearing cage to come apart....weird.

If you do all the work yourself, and just replace things back to stock, and nothing is horribly broken....I would expect to put about $400 in the engine by the time you buy a compete factory gasket set, a bearing or 2, a set of rings, the proper Suzukibond sealant, a new rubber plug, new sealing washers, etc.  If you buy aftermarket parts, re-use the sealing washers, don't need to put in new rings.....maybe $ 200 worth of parts would get a bearing replaced and the needed gaskets and seals.  If the left side of the engine case can be left alone and you don't remove the rotor of flywheel - you won't need any special tools...although making a plate and using a puller to help separate the crankcase halves makes getting them apart a bit easier...and you need to devise a way to hold the clutch basket still while you torque that nut down.

If you get all crazy and excited about upgrading the cam and installing a Wiseco....the cost goes up considerably (and so does the performance).

Often times if the head is not damaged....you can sell the good parts and make some pretty good money - enough to make a good payment toward a low mileage engine from crashed bike.  Every year 23 folks on this forum need a new head to replace the damage that a low idle can cause to the cam bearings.  With the money from the used parts and what you were going to spend on the parts to rebuild yours....you could have a complete engine.  It all boils down to how much work you feel comfortable doing yourself, and how good of a used engine you can find.  Paying a dealer to rebuild an engine for you will be costly - unless you can find a local mechanic that understands the Savage engine enough that you can trust them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mjbgman
YaBB Newbies

Syracuse, NY
Reply #7 - 02/20/15 at 09:02:35

It's been so long since the engine rebuild  I can't remember. I'll have to take a look at my receipts.   It wasn't cheap because I replaced the bearings, upgraded to a wiesco piston, upgraded cam and other goodies.

As far as the bearing going, it was my own fault. I forgot to replace the bolt that held it on cuz I'm a dubass

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/20/15 at 11:27:35

mjbgman wrote on 02/20/15 at 09:02:35:
As far as the bearing going, it was my own fault. I forgot to replace the bolt that held it on cuz I'm a dubass

Everyone is a dubass....a time or two.  We all make mistakes.  I have a friend that just assembled a complete Porsche 914-6 engine from parts he inherited from a deceased friend.  He replaced everything that looked like it needed replaced, very carefully assembled it, I helped him put the engine in the car.....and he fired it up.  After about 30 second it began to squeal, and we checked all the easy stuff.  A complete teardown revealed the case is warped and needs a line bore....evidently they can work great with the original bearings and be fine - but when you take the magnesium cases apart they can then spring and take a new shape!  So he had to spend another $ 600 on a line bore and start over on the complete assembly process.

Well with any luck....you won't need a lot of parts to do this repair.  Maybe a gasket set and a bit of cleaning, and a new bearing...and that pesky bolt and a bit of threadlocker!

IP Logged
Datpoolboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport Louisiana
Reply #9 - 02/24/15 at 20:07:36

Thanks for the detailed response Dave. Unfortunately I think I am one of the people dealing with cam bearing damage from the previous owner. I had a post on the forum before about my engine noise. I will be trying to capture the sound on video to update my post for further analysis from people like yourself who are far more seasoned with the savage than I am.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 02/24/15 at 23:49:17

MJQ, I will not tell you what is right or wrong...

I will however tell you that you are a braver soul than I am.... to tear it down to a basic frame an rebuild.....
You sir, are a fanatic! a perfectionist!.... you did what you deemed necessary to make your machine the machine you dreamed of!

Let no one take away what you have done.... gads man! you tore it down to bare bones! and put it back together again!

I want to do the same to both my wife's and my bike.... I only hope I can brave the path that you have done.... so I can preserve the frames and motors...

Question:
Did you redo any of the chrome? how expensive was it? What kind of time frame am I looking at if I just "jump into it?", well and keep on it?
Did you time your teardown and buildup?....

Smiley  

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/25/15 at 03:38:16

Datpoolboy wrote on 02/24/15 at 20:07:36:
I had a post on the forum before about my engine noise. I will be trying to capture the sound on video to update my post for further analysis.

I can't tell a thing from sound taken from a video.  The camera audio and computer files just don't accurately reproduce the sound - the real evidence for me is looking at what is visually in the engine.  If your engine had cam or cam bearing issues - you should have seen then when you had the engine apart the first time....the damage is easy to spot.

Get that engine apart again....and take photos of the parts.

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #12 - 02/25/15 at 07:35:01

Cool bike, man. I still need to do something to my stocker.

IP Logged
mjbgman
YaBB Newbies

Syracuse, NY
Reply #13 - 02/25/15 at 16:50:35

Datpoolboy, I spent around 40 hours on the engine rebuild.  Keep in mind I work slowly and mythodically so I don't make mistakes...er..try not to make as many mistakes.  

As far as cost, here's a breakdown:

$190-Cylinder Bored by shop
$  80-Lancer Jet Kit
$250-Lancer Cam Shaft
$120-Verslavy Cam Chain Adjuster
$113-Gasket Set
$110-Wiesco Piston
$  23-Piston Rings
$112-Oil Pump
$  50-Intake Valves
$100-Exhaust Valves
$250-Misc Engine Washers & O-Rings
--------------------------------------------
$1,400-Total Engine $$$$

$125-Barnett Clutch
$  15-Sportster Muffler
$  32-Rear Fender
$150-Seat
$  70-Taillight
$  ??-Lots of Miscellaneous crap
--------------------------------------------
$400-Total

$1,800-$2,000 total rebuild cost on a $750 bike...man I'm dumb.  At the time I just threw a bunch of money at it and wasn't really smart about it.  

You could do it A LOT cheaper.  The engine could be done a lot cheaper also.  I bought a lot of performance parts I didn't really need, but...you've got to spend your money on something.

I also spent an additional 100 hours just rebuilding the bike, not counting engine time, but that was the fun part.  I wasn't in any hurry.  It was my first try at fabricating.  

My $50 New/Used Crankcase should be here next week Grin

IP Logged
mjbgman
YaBB Newbies

Syracuse, NY
Reply #14 - 02/25/15 at 16:53:09

Old Rider:  I hope I answered your questions as well.  The tear-down was easy...the rebuild is what's scary.  It was a lot of hard work, but also very enjoyable.  I wouldn't rush into it, but if I can do it, anybody can.  

As far as chrome...chrome don't get you home.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 18:37:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Project: Skinny Pete

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.