Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Saddle Bag recommendation (Read 446 times)
crazymusiclady
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Saddle Bag recommendation
Reply #15 - 02/18/15 at 22:02:53

Do you have any pics of the saddlebag rails on your bike? Mine just has the chrome pieces that run down the back fender...i'm asuming you are meaning something else...thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/19/15 at 06:12:44

Here is some info on the rails.  The purpose is to keep the saddlebags from bumping into the suspension, wheel or muffler.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1162559733

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
crazymusiclady
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/20/15 at 07:53:32

Thanks for the info Dave!

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #18 - 03/23/15 at 20:34:26

I ordered the warrior bags from viking and they were out so they sent me a different set of larger bags that are actually listed for the C50 and they fit fine with the OEM saddle bag supports.  Lights did need to be moved.  I have a thread on here somewhere with pictures and the part number for the bags they sent me.

I've read that the OEM engine guard is not considered very functional for protecting the engine, but it is recognized as useful for mounting highway pegs.  The longhorn highway pegs work well, but you have to get the ones that fit the smaller diameter of the OEM engine guard.  I dropped my bike once after mounting these and between the saddle bags and the highway pegs, the engine was unharmed.  I had to move the highway pegs back into place though.

I tried a few different screens and finally settled on the national cycles custom 19 inch screen.  A smaller shield didn't keep the sand out of my face.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #19 - 03/23/15 at 20:39:12

I found that thread I mentioned.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1399553359

I think the most important information at this point is that there is absolutely no way to hard mount bags to the S40 because they changed the design so the bolts go the wrong way.  You have to soft mount them with the suzuki saddle bag supports that you have to buy separately.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 03/25/15 at 04:27:40

Actually, you pop the cheesy rails off, throw them in your recycle bin, and can then hard mount Saddleman Drifter or similar sized hard back bags directly to the fender. Throw away the crossover yoke at the same time, you won't need it. Turn signals will need to be moved to the license plate bracket and likely have to extend the signal harness a couple inches. Well worth the extra effort. The bags will be level, at the correct height/angle, and will never sag. If you plan to ride 2 up, the rails can be replaced with 1/4 inch aluminum or steel flat stock drilled to match the factory holes, more than sufficient strength.

If you have an S40 with stock rails (no back rest) buy bolts slightly longer than stock and you can sandwich some flat bar bag struts between the fender and rail. Cost you $5-10 in materials, the bags will hide them, and you saved a bunch of money for gas to go riding instead of watching the chrome supports rust and the bag tops collect dust.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 03/26/15 at 18:55:12

WD wrote on 03/25/15 at 04:27:40:
Actually, you pop the cheesy rails off, throw them in your recycle bin, and can then hard mount Saddleman Drifter or similar sized hard back bags directly to the fender. Throw away the crossover yoke at the same time, you won't need it. Turn signals will need to be moved to the license plate bracket and likely have to extend the signal harness a couple inches. Well worth the extra effort. The bags will be level, at the correct height/angle, and will never sag. If you plan to ride 2 up, the rails can be replaced with 1/4 inch aluminum or steel flat stock drilled to match the factory holes, more than sufficient strength.

If you have an S40 with stock rails (no back rest) buy bolts slightly longer than stock and you can sandwich some flat bar bag struts between the fender and rail. Cost you $5-10 in materials, the bags will hide them, and you saved a bunch of money for gas to go riding instead of watching the chrome supports rust and the bag tops collect dust.

I would love to see pics of this, maybe even a tutorial
there are some hard bags you can get that have lights built into them, you can wire to be turn signals

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 03/27/15 at 07:27:31

2x3 mahogany spacer plates, round bar bag standoffs (4, the ugly chrome things), Willie and Max Indian Chief style bags (that I'm not using currently, and that may change again as I loathe slant bags).

This fender is now black, has a current TN license tag on it, and is mounted to my 2003. The orange bike is temporarily a parts roach, getting turned into something else.

I used spacers so the bags would hide the rear shocks until I could strut or hardtail convert the 98 frame... you do need some kind of spacer, even with slant bags, to clear the belt cover, or your bag will get destroyed.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #23 - 03/27/15 at 10:44:52

interesting setup, thanks!

IP Logged