Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Initial Mods to S40 (Read 721 times)
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Initial Mods to S40
05/08/14 at 05:49:17

Hi!  I got a used S40 this past weekend.  I already have a Gixxer 1K, but it is not comfortable for me or my husband.  I find driving my husband's shadow saber to be more comfortable, but it is still too big for me, so I was looking for a light cruiser.

The S40 I got is a 2012 that had 1695 miles on it when I bought it.  The previous owner had put an odometer, aftermarket filter, and obnoxiously loud aftermarket exhaust on it.  I bought it from a dealer.

The S40 worked great for a while, but by the end of the first day, it was stalling when I stopped.  Then it would stall when I slowed down.  Then it wouldn't start easily.  I started researching and came across this site, including the advice on the petcock, adjuster, and raising the front of the seat 1-2 inches.

In testing the petcock, I found running it in prime yielded no improvement, so I took it back to the dealer and they figured out that the aftermarket oil bath filter was dry.  It was so dry that it was white instead of red.  They fixed it for free and also put the stock exhaust back on for me.  Now it runs great and purrs like a kitten. Smiley

I had already ordered the raptor 660 petcock, and I have it now.  I will get it installed next time I take it in for service.  I talked to the dealer about it and they agreed it would be helpful, especially because it would permit me to switch to off and run the gas out of the carb when storing for the winter, and thus avoid needing maintenance when I start using it again in the spring.  They didn't seem to be aware of a petcock failure issue though.

Meanwhile, I have ordered some bags, an engine guard, and foot pegs.  I'm having an issue with the bags not shipping, and the reply from support at viking bags support explaining, in broken English, that they have a shipping delay is attached.  Has anyone dealt with Viking Bags?  Should I be concerned about this company?

Finally, I have searched for, but I have not been able to locate, any threads about how to raise the front of the seat 1-2 inches.  Can anyone link some threads with instructions, pics, or vids?

Having scoured many threads here, I know how helpful and friendly people are here, so I'll say "Thanks" in advance.  Cheesy

Screen_Shot_2014-05-08_at_7_23_50_AM.png

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Initial Mods to S40
Reply #1 - 05/08/14 at 06:57:40

From the Viking site at the top there is a number to call or a direct chat.

http://www.vikingbags.com/

You have picked a great bike to ride.....most of us have or have had other bikes and ended up lovin' these little beasties.

Get you a good tool set and save some maintenance money! The Savage/S40 is an easy bike to learn how to wrench on, and with the guidance on this site, easy to fix!

Forgot to add the seat link

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1109035237

The Technical/Documents section has a Table of contents with links area that covers about everything you will ever want to know about these bikes...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/08/14 at 08:05:47

Suzuki has consistently refused to recognize the issues with the factory petcock, which have gotten worse. They used to last a few years, now, many are failing in a few months. Outsourced petcock production to a Chinese facility.

Raising the seat front can help, or equate to nothing. Won't know until you try, should run less than $10 even with stainless steel bolts.

You can get a more than adequate toolkit for these bikes for less than $25 out the door. Throw away the stock belt tension gauge, keep the sparkplug, hex key and axle wrenches (with extension handle), add a few combination wrenches in 8, 10, 12 and 14mm. Add a 1/4"drive ratchet and extension with sockets in those same sizes. Buy a tool roll to hang under your headlight, and keep your tools, spare bulbs (in old pill bottles or 35mm film canisters), and a 5 pack of 20A yellow blade fuses in it. The battery box end "tool box" is a bad location for tools.

The Savage is a neat little machine, a cross of a pre-1970s British single (including oil leaks for nostalgia) and 1970s J.A. Pan Inc electrical parts, but with modern fuses.

Go ahead and order your new tires now. Shinko is more than adequate for a Savage, has been around for decades as Maxxis and ChengShin... The stock IRC tires are atrocious. IRC makes some extremely good tires, but not the series fitted to our bikes at the factory. The Shinko 777 rear whitewall is good for up to 15K miles on stronger/heavier machines with better brakes, and is also available as a blackwall.

Bookmark Motorcycle Superstore. Bookmark Lowbrow Customs. Bookmark Bike Bandit for its exploded view parts diagrams.

You can turn a Savage/S40 into anything stylewise. Do a Google image search, sit back with your cold beverage of choice, and spend some time drooling. Especially over the European customs. I happen to have a pair of them, one looks like an old outlaw hotrod, the other an old police bike...

Have fun, welcome to the family.

Pics or it didn't happen...  Wink Seriously, show off your new ride. We like bike pics.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #3 - 05/08/14 at 09:59:06

if you need help, just holler  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/08/14 at 10:30:13

Just an off-the-wall comment here. I bought my 2012 without a test ride (dumb), and frankly, if I had tested it I wouldn't have bought it. I weigh 165 lbs, and the stock shocks, even on the softest setting, rode like a hardtail (NO give!). My back and neck were screaming after 30 minutes riding. So I asked the folks here, and many agreed one the best improvements to make is get some aftermarket shocks from Progressive Suspension (for Suzuki Intruder 80 fit perfectly). That made all the difference to my ride experience. Oh, BTW - I adressed the question of harsh ride and after-firing to my dealer, and quote: "Any modificatons from stock will void your warranty.". So what. I don't need no stinking warranty! Then the stock petcock quit at +/- 1000 miles, so I rode on PRI until the raptor arrived. Best mods I could have made. Good Luck and enjoy the ride.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #5 - 05/08/14 at 13:09:25

Here's a pic of how I did my.  It already had some washers stacked on top o the rubber tank bushings.  All I purchased were 2 longer SS bolts and 2 1.5" long rubber stopper ends.  I drilled a hole roughly through the middle of the rubber stoppers, and they make excellent bushings.  After 2 years they've already dry rotted a little bit, but I'm sure they will last a while longer.  Since I only paid ~$5 for the whole set up, I wouldn't mind if I had to replace the bumpers after 5 years or so.

The pic is from when they were new, so obviously no evidence of dry rot...   Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #6 - 05/26/14 at 18:23:46

It rained today, so I finally got around to doing the seat mod.  I tried to do what this guy suggested:  http://www.jonline.org/savage/Tips___How-to_s/Tips___Tricks/tips___tricks.htm

But Home depot said they no longer sell the nylon spacers, so I had to get washers.  I wound up getting 2 metric cap screws M6-1.0x60mm and 5 packs of Fender washer zinc 1/4"x1-1/4".  I used the rubber grommets at the bottom as more narrow spacers at the top so that the tongue of the seat would fit in between them and rest on top of the washers.

Seat_Mod.jpg

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #7 - 05/26/14 at 18:25:32

I bought electrical tape to cover the washers, but my husband says they look good as is.  What do you think?

Seat_Mod2.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/26/14 at 18:28:27

I like that paint......it looks very classy.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #9 - 05/28/14 at 18:12:28

I dropped my bike off at the local Honda dealership (they are open later than the others and I like the service guys).  I gave them the viking bags and the turn signal relocation kit to mount.  I also gave them the raptor petcock to install, the gran tourismo grips, and the #9 lead birdshot to fill the handlebar.  They are also going to install a 12 volt connector for a GPS.

Then they told me later over the phone that neither the turn signal relocation kit nor the mounting kit for the viking bags are compatible with the S40.  They said they would have to get some 'male" turn signals to use with the turn signal relocation kit, and they would look at trying to fabricate something to mount the saddlebags.

Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated with viking bags and chrome world for specifically representing that these items are compatible with the S40.  I feel defrauded, and it takes a lot for me to say something like that, with my law license and everything.

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #10 - 05/30/14 at 18:38:31

Update on the viking bags is that the mechanic said the only practical way to mount them is to soft mount them with the saddle bags supports that Suzuki makes for the S40 (part number SU-990A0-75036).  That's another expensive part and who knows how long delay to get it.  The money doesn't bother me as much as the delays that keep stacking up.  First a delay for my bags to ship, then a delay to order the turn signal relocation kit, then a delay to find out I need these supports, and I have to wait for them too.  This has been the most frustrating issue with this bike.  They were also going to try and figure out some turn signals to buy since my relocation kit requires male connector turn signals.  Who knows how long that will take.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 05/30/14 at 18:47:31

ihasabike wrote on 05/30/14 at 18:38:31:
Update on the viking bags is that the mechanic said the only practical way to mount them is to soft mount them with the saddle bags supports that Suzuki makes for the S40 (part number SU-990A0-75036).  That's another expensive part and who knows how long delay to get it.  The money don't bother me as much as the delays that keep stacking up.  first a delay for my bags to ship, then a delay to order the turn signal relocation kit, then a delay to find out I need these supports, and I have to wait for them too.  This has been the most frustrating issue with this bike.

Tell your installer NOT to use the hex head bolts that come with the Suzuki bag supports. Tell him to replace them with allen head or phillips head pan head bolts. The heads on the bolts that come with the supports will rub on your tire if you ever install a tire even a tiny bit bigger than the stock 140/80.

140/80s are pretty scarce. Most folks run a 140/90 when they replace the rear tire. There is a much better selection in that size.

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #12 - 05/30/14 at 19:22:12

Thanks, I will do that.

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #13 - 06/07/14 at 07:09:17

I got the bag support and went and bought the alan key bolts, but the longest I could find was 45mm, whereas the longest hex head bolt included in the kit is 50mm.  I hope it works with the 45mm long bolt.

Meanwhile, I thought I was going to get my bike back for the weekend, but when they ordered turn signals, they just ordered one by mistake.  So now I have to wait for another one to come in.  So I guess I'm stuck riding the Gixxer for another weekend.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/07/14 at 07:32:21

Just one turn signal is no problem,, If ya need to turn left, just turn right & go around the block,, lifes EASY!

Or, ya Could POINT your little finger which way you wanna go..

& then take it back & let them fix it the rest of the way,,

I guess the 45 MM bolts were long enough?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:24:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Initial Mods to S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.