Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Fork & Shock Improvements for Café Conversions (Read 3204 times)
haylo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fork Improvements for RYCA Café Conversions
Reply #60 - 04/01/15 at 06:44:37

What is the top tree bottoming out on if not the lip of the bearing nut? The RaceTech info specified 150mm as the measurement of the oil. That seemed a tad much but turned out to be about the same as the stock cc recommendation. Isn't the emulator taking up space? Gary...your 120mm seems more in line. How did you come up with that amount? I used a "plastic" toilet riser...measured down from the moulded washer 150mm and drilled a hole. Over filled the tubes then suctioned till drawing air.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #61 - 04/01/15 at 06:52:58

haylo wrote on 04/01/15 at 06:44:37:
What is the top tree bottoming out on if not the lip of the bearing nut? The RaceTech info specified 150mm as the measurement of the oil. That seemed a tad much but turned out to be about the same as the stock cc recommendation. Isn't the emulator taking up space? Gary...your 120mm seems more in line. How did you come up with that amount? I used a "plastic" toilet riser...measured down from the moulded washer 150mm and drilled a hole. Over filled the tubes then suctioned till drawing air.

Matt Wiley from RaceTech suggested 130 to 140mm. I thought "better to be too stiff at the bottom of the stroke than too soft" so I chose to use the 130 (more fluid) figure. It just takes a few minutes to make this adjustment and I will probably make this adjustment after the weekend. Whether 150mm or 120mm, it will always be close to the OE fluid volume of 15oz as every 10mm of height is only about 0.3 oz - so that 30mm swing is just under an ounce of fluid. But a 10mm height change makes a B I G difference at the bottom of the stroke.

The OEM spec is 75mm. That's a lot of oil. They were trying to do all they could to stiffen the OE solution.

Good solution on the oil extraction tool. Got a photo?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
haylo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 04/01/15 at 08:17:26

You're right! I was thinking backwards and probably confused a few with my post. The 150mm is in fact a lesser amount.
My computer is soooo old...Flicker or Photobucket just won't accept me! I'd like to send pics of the clip-ons mounted "above" also. Not sure I like the look....but can live with it if easier on the wrists. That is my only discomfort when riding the RYCA.
I'm not going to worry about the relief issue with the top clamp but if I go back to the lower mount of the clip-ons...I'll probably look into it while disassembled.

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #63 - 04/01/15 at 10:23:40

Havlo;  its a very easy thing to remove the top clamp with modded lower as the top.  crown nut, 2 pinch bolts.....Oh, yes...gauge cluster too.

Its all going to depend on your tolerance stack in the build.  Gary may be OK, but you might not be.  OR....you might be better than Gary too!

Gary:   why a washer between the cap and spring?  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #64 - 04/01/15 at 11:33:41

swing69 wrote on 04/01/15 at 10:23:40:
Gary:   why a washer between the cap and spring?  

The spring does/will move around in the forks. The washer is a nice stable surface that will protect the hinge-pin that is used on the bottom of the adjustable cap.

swing69 wrote on 04/01/15 at 10:23:40:
[i]swing69 wrote on 04/01/15 at 10:23:40:
Its all going to depend on your tolerance stack in the build

I did some digging last night. I have some fork spacer washers left over from other fork builds (FZ6 or SV650..can't remember) that are 35mm overall, 25mm at the center and 2mm in height. Perfect for gap filling. I'm sure RT would send them.
[/i]

« Last Edit: 04/02/15 at 05:59:44 by Gary_in_NJ »  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #65 - 04/03/15 at 14:42:08

My son and I just spent some time dialing in the suspension setting.

Here's where I'm at (and staying for the moment). I used the averaging method (without bounce and with bounce) to obtain these values. These numbers are with me in my riding gear with a full tank of fuel.

Forks
Free Sag (no rider) 15mm (7mm stiction)
Total Sag (rider) 35mm (3mm stiction)
Total Travel 75% at 140mm of gap

Shocks (preload collar set on 4 of 5)
Free Sag 10mm (5mm stiction)
Total Sag 39mm (2mm stiction)

Stiction is the delta between the bounce value and the no bounce. The stiction values are good. You want them below 10mm, the lower the better. These measurements were taken many times, and every time you get something a bit different. The numbers above are averages after my final adjustments.

The rear shock numbers need further research. I know that RYCA lists the rear suspension travel as 2", but I'm thinking that is the shock travel, not the travel from the end of the swingarm. My measurements are from the axle nut to a spot that my son liked on the license plate. The delta between fully extended and the total sag figure is about 1.5". I hope I'm not using 75% of the shock travel just sitting on the bike. I have a feeling that the actual suspension travel at the end of the swingarm is closer to 3". Even so...that's 50%.

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #66 - 04/06/15 at 11:12:23

Hi Gary.  strange as it may seem, I came up with a 127 spacer as well!  One spring was slightly longer than the other (4mm worth), but I made both spacers the same.   I also replaced the adjustable disk on the fork cap PIN with a cotter pin, that way I could use the RT washer.

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #67 - 08/11/15 at 17:05:38

Gary, you think the lower-to-upper triple mod could work with upright bars?  Might be able to drill new holes in it for the bar risers?  Mine is a tracker and yes, the front suspenders are bottoming duds as is.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #68 - 08/11/15 at 17:48:18

I'm gonna say no because I'm not sure that the softer aluminum of the lower (now upper) would make a proper support. Perhaps if you are able to make a doubler to spread the load from below.

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #69 - 08/11/15 at 17:53:26

Right I'll take a look at the machined Savage uppers. Also saw them on Dime City. Can't remember if they are made for standard bars. I love your fork mod. The only thing I don't love about my bike.  Mostly.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #70 - 08/12/15 at 03:52:32

SinglesGoinSteady wrote on 08/11/15 at 17:53:26:
Right I'll take a look at the machined Savage uppers. Also saw them on Dime City. Can't remember if they are made for standard bars. I love your fork mod. The only thing I don't love about my bike.  Mostly.

I bought the machined upper from RYCA.  It was really rough machining and took quite a while to get smoothed out and polished - it appeared the CNC machine was chattering while cutting.  I let Ryan at RYCA know, and he was going to contact the machinist.  The aluminum is really soft and easy to scratch once it is polished.  I believe there is plenty of material if you want to drill it and attach bar mounts.....it is a big solid piece of aluminum.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #71 - 08/13/15 at 06:10:40

Thanks Dave, at first glance.  The other thing I was thinking of trying, but, am limited in my fork knowledge is sending my forks out to get progressive springs, have them and the fork tubes cut & take Ryca spacer out so that I get back to full travel, but, still be shortened in the stock triples.  Obviously not as effective at improving ride, but, certainly getting more travel.  Clearance would have to be checked.  I just don't want clipsons, I want upright bars for my dirt tracker look (and comfort haha).

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #72 - 10/30/15 at 22:22:13

If I get a toilet seat and a hammer for retail, do I get the lube free?
What's the surface you're drilling on? With the spiral grooves,,

Very in depth and technical report on the upgrade.  How's your ground clearance? I was dragging pegs till the rubber under the right leg required stitches. Baling wire to rescue. Speed bumps nearly dragged the frame.
I would enjoy a ride on a hopped up, lightened and tuned suspension...Hafta be a real hoot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #73 - 10/31/15 at 05:05:34

Ujustin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/30/15 at 22:22:13:
If I get a toilet seat and a hammer for retail, do I get the lube free?
What's the surface you're drilling on? With the spiral grooves,,

Very in depth and technical report on the upgrade.  How's your ground clearance? I was dragging pegs till the rubber under the right leg required stitches. Baling wire to rescue. Speed bumps nearly dragged the frame.
I would enjoy a ride on a hopped up, lightened and tuned suspension...Hafta be a real hoot.

The drill surface in the photos is my drill press.

The ground clearance is the same as the RYCA set up because the bike has the same stance.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #74 - 11/01/15 at 02:46:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/30/15 at 22:22:13:
 How's your ground clearance? I was dragging pegs till the rubber under the right leg required stitches.

I seriously doubt if anyone will be dragging the pegs on a Cafe' conversion.  The front is lowered 2" - but the back has been raised nearly 3", and the footpegs are now in the middle of the bike and set much higher than the stock pegs.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 03:09:37

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Fork & Shock Improvements for Café Conversions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.