Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Fork & Shock Improvements for Café Conversions (Read 3204 times)
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Re: Fork Improvements for RYCA Café Conversions
Reply #45 - 03/30/15 at 09:24:55

Nice report Gary.   BTW:  springs and GVEs arrived in the mail the other day.  School is off this week, but I may have some day time to get in a tinker a bit, and maybe removed the forks.    

The rear shocks are probably noticeably stiffer, only because you know have a compliant working, properly sprung front fork set.    

What is your preload on the rear?

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #46 - 03/31/15 at 08:28:55

STOCK UPPER FORK TREE MOD.  -  Observation - comment - caution!

When doing the "famous Gary from NJ" fork mod.,  my upper triple clamp will be a modified stock lower.  I'm in the process of doing that right now.   Again, this is for a modified STOCK LOWER that to become an upper.  This is necesary since you need to have pinch bolts, as the new tube position will be through the upper clamp  (see Garys' picts).  RYCA now offers a upper clamp too.  Gerry made an entirely new upper....way cool looking piece!

Anyway - back to the mod I'm doing on the donor stock lower:

1) Stem removed, cut flush with the top surface of the clamp.  check
2) Steering stops removed and smoothed.  check
3) Stem hole opened to .875, that is SLIGHTLY larger than the stock hole in the upper clamp.  I'm fine with that as it will give a small amount of room for misalignment.   The upper bearing will actually hold the stem in alignment with the frame along with the lower bearing - as by design.  The upper tree will then be sandwiched between the crown nut and the bearing retaining nut. CHANGE:  

I check the thickness of both trees - they are the same at ~ 26.7mm.  I noticed that the stock tree upper, has a spot face relief on the underside where the stem comes through of a depth of 4.86mm.  The purpose of that spot face is to allow the larger OD threads (where the upper stem bearing nut engages) to enter into the underside of the upper tree.  

I checked my new tree then and added a spot relief with a 1" drill.  I had to drill a little deeper to accomodate the angled cutting face of the drill.  I went down ~5 mm.   A little deeper is not a problem, too shallow is.

WITH the spot relief, the top chrome nut will now tighten the upper tree down directly onto the top face of the bearing nut.

WITHOUT the spot relief, the top chrome nut MAY  (will in my case)tighten the upper tree down onto the ramped transistion area or even the top threads of the larger OD threaded portion of the stem where the bearing nut engages.  If so, the upper tree will not bear up against the retaining nut.  This could result in the top threads being damaged; the bearing nut backing off - causing loss of bearing preload and loose head bearings.

FIX:  spot relief - takes more time and effort...but easy to do initally.  If the mod is already done?  Machine a ~1/8"  (3mm)  flat washer that goes between the bearing retainer nut and upper tree.

Reminder of what the stem dimensions are (sorry..no camera today to take a pict.)   From the top down with a vernier on the ODs.:

Chrome crown nut 21.75 mm dia. - 12.5 mm height
Smooth section for upper tree:  22 mm - 22 mm height
Small transistion:  2mm in height
Bearing Ret. Nut: 24.75 mm dia. - 15mm height

As you can see by the dimensions listed, the smooth area for the top tree is smaller than the top tree.

Gary ; comments?    You may have added the relief - I'm not sure, but its something to look for....

Mike

One HISTORICAL note:  "old" style bikes used to have a pinch bolt at the crown nut.  BUT, those crown nuts had sleeves that went through the upper and locked against the bearing retaining nut.  The savage doesn't have this design.  The upper tree just slides over the stem and as the crown nut is tightened, it loads the upper tree down onto the bearing retainer nut, locking it into position.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #47 - 03/31/15 at 09:16:19

Photo's will go a long way here. This is a photo of my initial fit.

I did not add any relief, nor do I think it is necessary. The steering stem is held in place by the steering stem nut. The upper triple clamp is now held in place via the pinch bolts (primary) at the forks and the steering stem cap nut (secondary). In fact, the stem and cap nut only serve as a pivot location in this configuration. This is different then the OE method where the fork-caps and upper triple clamp are working as a system. The new method is how the vast majority of modern bikes are designed and assembled.

In the new configuration, the upper triple clamp does not provide any clamping force to the steering stem, however it does severe as a "jam-nut", keeping the stem nut from backing off from it set location/torque.

Even without the 4.86mm relief at the bottom of the upper triple clamp the steering stem cap nut has more than adequate engagement for the cap nut. If there is any concern, simply leave the washer out. I used the washer and I'm very comfortable with the engagement. I don't think that the 4.86mm will effect anything. If you have the means to bore the lower side of the upper triple clamp, by all means do - but it is not a safety concern.

Stem.jpg

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #48 - 03/31/15 at 09:33:53

Hi Gary.

I'm 100% in agreement, that is set up is better than original.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation:

The bottom relief will allow the taper /  larger OD section of the stem to intrude into the top tree "as much as needed".   Its not a matter of the top crown nut having a reduced thead count.  there are plenty of threads available.  The issue is on the bottom of the tree.

The safety issue is IF:  the top tree contacts the little "ramp" section or the bearing retainer threads BEFORE it contacts the bearing retaining nut.

As you said; the top tree is the effectively the "jamb nut" for the upper retaining bearing nut.

I'll have to post a pict.....

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #49 - 03/31/15 at 09:39:52

I get what you are saying. I don't have a 1" drill bit that can cut a counter bore. 4.86mm is essentially 3/16" If there is a gap (I have to check) this could be closed with a 3/16" washer. I believe that the fork spacer washers (how convenient) could be repurposed for this use.

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #50 - 03/31/15 at 11:29:02

here are some picts.  I used a stem and the OEM top.

Picts 1 and 2 are the top and bottom WITH the bottom relief in place, as stock.  You can see that the flat washer under the crown nut is needed due to running out of useable threads!  Relief covers some of the bearing retainer nut threads.

Picts 3 and 4, I flipped to top tree to simulate a "no relief" condition. You can see the "ramp" section prevents the top clamp from going any lower, which many result in the top clamp not jambing the bearing retaining nut.

My camera was dropped, so the picts with the shaded left edge distort the image.... Cheesy   nothing is bent!  lol  

I've got a 1" drill you can use...   OR come on down with the tree and we'll drill it real quick....

OR:  yes, use a 3mm washer / spacer above the bearing retainer nut / below the upper tree to close the gap.  The only down side is you'll have less threads at the crown nut.

toptree1.JPG
  IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #51 - 03/31/15 at 11:29:19

toptree2.JPG
  IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #52 - 03/31/15 at 11:29:42

toptree3.JPG
  IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #53 - 03/31/15 at 11:30:01

toptree4.JPG
  IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 03/31/15 at 15:25:50

Here are some photos of the actual assembly. I don't think it's worth shimming.

A life long student of motorcycling
  IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #55 - 03/31/15 at 15:34:22

1)  Can you get a feeler gauge in there?  if so, what's the value?  If its touching...you're fine.
2)  If you tap the notch on the bearing retainer, does it move (unload) easily?

If you can unscrew the bearing retainer slightly -  check for wiggle between the stem and steering head.  Optimum is none.   But I've also been on ball bearing bikes that had a very slight amount, and it made no difference to me.   Your call though, whatever your comfortable with.

If was just easier for me to add the relief with everything apart.

IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 03/31/15 at 16:08:09

The adjusting nut is torqued to spec, so there is no movement at the nut nor is there any wiggle. The distance between the bottom of the upper triple clamp and the top of the adjusting nut is 0.039" or 5/128 of an inch.

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #57 - 03/31/15 at 17:07:08

Hey Gary.  That is a small gap for sure.  But a gap is a gap. The nut is torqued, but essentially the locking feature (the top tree) isn't there to keep it there.  

If you're going to ride as is, maybe just put a witness paint mark between the headstock and bearing retainer nut to be able to do a visual check to see if it moves.

Question 1:  was your final fork spacer length 120mm???????  ( will check that it is 7mm down from the top of the tube upon initial set up as you suggest).
Question 2:  in your set up, you mention: Use 15w fork oil at a height of 130mm (GV in, spring out, tube at bottom of stroke)
130mm measured from where to where?   or is there an ounce or cc measurement?

Thanks for all your help.....

IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 03/31/15 at 18:55:05

swing69 wrote on 03/31/15 at 17:07:08:
Question 1:  was your final fork spacer length 120mm???????  ( will check that it is 7mm down from the top of the tube upon initial set up as you suggest).
Question 2:  in your set up, you mention: [i] Use 15w fork oil at a height of 130mm (GV in, spring out, tube at bottom of stroke)

130mm measured from where to where?   or is there an ounce or cc measurement?

[/i]

Answer 1: I think that the final spacer was 127mm. My length isn't important. You just need to cut the spacer so you are 7mm below the top of the fork tube (fully extended).

Answer 2: The 130mm is measured with the GVE installed, the spring out, and the fork tube at the bottom of its stroke. It's a distance (in mm), not a volume or liquid measurement. I find it helpful to use a syringe with a piece of hose attached so the total length from the bottom side of the top handle to the bottom of the hose is 130mm.

Just rest the syringe on the top of the fork tube and pull up on the plunger until you're sucking air.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, 140mm might be a better value. I don't think I'm getting 90% use of my stroke and the extra 10mm will make a big difference.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #59 - 04/01/15 at 05:54:22

I gave this some thought on the way to work this morning. I believe that if the stem adjusting nut were to back out until it made contact with the upper triple clamp, it could only travel 20-30 degrees of rotation before making contact with the upper triple clamp, and it would still be well within the torque spec of 22-29 ft-lbs as I'm at the higher value. In fact, the recommended procedure is to torque to this value and then back-off the nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I believe I'm somewhere between that value. I can safely back it off until it makes contact with the upper triple clamp.

While I think it would be "nice" to have the recess, it's not at all necessary. If a future builder has the capability - great. If not, don't worry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 01:45:12

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Fork & Shock Improvements for Café Conversions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.