Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How come they never tell you this? (Read 147 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
How come they never tell you this?
01/03/15 at 23:30:52

Layin' on the couch Saturday night, watching my new plasma 43" tv, it suddenly dawned on me that my new tv is 'TOO DARN BIG!'  
Really, it's no different than being in the front row at the movies.
In all the websites I checked before I bought it, no one ever mentioned that you should buy a tv appropriate to your room size.
That said, it was on sale after christmas for $298.
It's like they were giving them away.
Also, the picture quality in SD is so good, I won't be going HDTV.
Am I right or am I wrong? Cheesy

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: How come they never tell you this?
Reply #1 - 01/04/15 at 00:24:22

must be time to remodel Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 01/04/15 at 03:06:51

We got a projector TV for Christmas 2004 http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/000737.html -- roughly a 88" picture.  In Aug. 2008 we got Roku and we had streaming movies over the Internet.

Nowadays 43" is tiny.  But for under $300 it is dirt cheap.  We still have a 32" TUBE tv.  Problem is, when the TV does finally die everything else needs to be upgraded.  New TVs connect HDMI and I have nothing in HD.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 01/04/15 at 07:14:12

Yea Zip it stinks that most retailers don't have tips/help for choosing properly, but if you were to do a search as to how to choose a tele there are lots of resources explaining the dynamics of room size and what sizes and types to buy depending on room size, shape and ambient lighting. For example if you have a lot of natural light most plasma flatscreens have a glossy finish that would be no good picking up too much glare.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/04/15 at 08:13:14

This is America dangummit'!,... too big doesn't exist... Grin...

Seriously,.. if you find that your eyes have to look right and left while viewing, the screen is too big for the space...
It can be okay for 2 hrs in a theatre, but will get tiring for extended daily viewing...

Check your tv's settings... some aspect ratio settings can reduce the image size.  You can use this to watch regular programs, then set it for full screen for movies or sports...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 01/04/15 at 12:24:33

I'll have to 'improvise,adapt,overcome'. My fault.
Also, no one ever explains that nobody wants my old 'crt' tv. I'll try and donate it to a cause, if they'll pick it up. (80lbs vs 33lbs)
My apartment is dark enough that it doesn't affect the image.  Thanks, guys! Cheesy
I only bought this for racing, both bikes and cars, and of course, the price! Grin

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/06/15 at 05:11:51

Zip if you have Craigslist in your area throw it up for free if they come and get it, make sure to put in the ad that they need to have two people and that you will not help load it  Wink  LOL

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 01/06/15 at 13:43:39

As expected, CL has a million free tvs looking for new homes!!! And they all work great!!!
Target practice, fish bowl, monument to consumerism? Grin  
If a new hi-tech tv in 2014 costs half what it did in 2000,  I should probably quit bitchin'.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/06/15 at 13:50:30

When I graduated from College in 1983...... I wanted 3 things.  A Water Bed, a Big Screen or projector TV, and to learn to speak Spanish.

I never got any of those done and not having a grainy big screen TV and a leaky waterbed are no big deal - But 32 years later that Spanish would really come in handy!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 01/07/15 at 05:05:57

Sorry Zip Cl is how I unloaded my friggin huge and heavy old Sony WEGA CRT TV  Tongue

@Dave- Do yourself a favor and pick up a used older edition of Rosetta Stone off EBAY ,  scratch one off the list   Wink

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 01/07/15 at 13:27:52

Got me one of dem' smart TV's 2 years ago.... 3D Sony Bravia 54" of course that's when it cost $1,500 + $300 for the 3D BlueRay player....
My living room is 16' X 14' and I got it on the short side... I still need a bigger one...LOL.... and I had to buy me a wireless headset to keep the wife from getting mad at me for having it turned up too loud!
She won't even let me kick in the $400 surround sound system, so that was money wasted..... darn women... they wild and crazy when they are young, then get older and bossier .... Angry
But by golly when I wanna watch a movie I put on my headset and turn it up!
Since we both like football, she don't mind me turning on the sound system....... its like we are there in the stadium....LOL  Grin

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 01/09/15 at 22:44:43

Holy Mackerel, what a difference!
Went to the dealer to find out why the screen was off-colour after making numerous changes.
Got the normal "keep fiddlin', it'll all work out".
On my way out, I asked if it would make any difference if I used a 'HD' box. After picking himself off the floor, he told me plasmas should always be on HD.  Went to the cable co. for a 'HD' box, set it up and WOW, what a difference. Colors are dead on and clarity is way better. WSBK and MOTO-GP this year should be terrific. WooHoo! Grin
and F-1 !

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 01/10/15 at 00:58:57

Yeah HD is the stuff!
When we do out "setup" and "channel search", we end up getting about 16 or so HD channels (we have standard cable).
We only get 70 channels for basic and only a few of them are HD (like 5), you have to get their "HD package" to get all of your stuff in HD....and some companies till transmit their stuff in analog, so not all channels are HD.
Money, money money... Sad

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #13 - 01/13/15 at 17:16:52

I have a 36" tube I got 10 years ago or so on CL for $35. Less than $ an inch!  Smiley

I dunno how old it is, but it still works.  Seemed huge compared to the 19" it replaced.  

(I remember when I got it my one friend asked if I was trying to join the middle class)

I could never spend hundreds or thousands on a TV.  I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about the firearms I could be getting for that price!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #14 - 01/14/15 at 14:14:27

$ an inch ? ha!  In the grocery store, I try to buy food priced at less than a penny a ml, or a penny a gram. It works!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:21:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › How come they never tell you this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.