Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
gas/oil in breather hose (Read 182 times)
jasonsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbia, sc
gas/oil in breather hose
11/11/14 at 11:19:16

so i finished putting my bike back together last night and took it for a test ride. about 5 mile round trip. half way through the ride i realized im leaking gas like crazy. its an oil/gas mix coming from the breather hose.
i realized i didnt plug the vaccum line when i swapped to the raptor and plugged it thinking that might be the cause, it wasnt.

iv read that its probably a stuck float or something along those lines. im also not sure but i let it sit outside for a little bit this morning and it looked like gas may have been dripping from where the muffler meets the header?

HELP A NOOB OUT! ( also i lost my license plate last night to top it all off) =( =( =(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: gas/oil in breather hose
Reply #1 - 11/11/14 at 11:32:09

I suggest you turn the petcock off when it's parked.
gas leaking out the header?  If you tank's not leaking then you got problems cause that would mean your cylinder is full of gas and maybe your crankcase too.  You'll need to change your oil, drain out everything, and fix your carb.  bad float valve most likely.

WWW   IP Logged
jasonsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbia, sc
Reply #2 - 11/11/14 at 11:33:44

thats what i figured. i may have just leaked onto my exhaust and then dripped off of that but im not sure. guess i need to get to cleaning the float.

IP Logged
jasonsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbia, sc
Reply #3 - 11/11/14 at 12:13:47

another question, if i left the petcock to on for a few hours would that have caused the gas to leak into the crankcase?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/11/14 at 12:42:36

Well....no way to know for sure.

When I go for a ride, I generally don't shut the petcock off while I am off the bike....even for an hour or more.  My bike has a clean carb, a clean fuel tank, and it has not ever had any fuel overflow issues.  When I am returning home and I pass an intersection at Stonehouse Road....I reach down and turn off the petcock - this not only reminds me to turn it off as the ride is over, it also allows me to use up the fuel in the float bowl so that the carb does not have any fuel to go bad and clog the jets if I don't ride for a while.

I am not sure how fast a leaky needle and seat can cause troubles...if it is real leaky it could lose a lot of fuel in a short amount of time.

Your carb may be different, it may need a new needle and seat.  My neighbor bought a Honda CRF450 and it leaked horribly.  I took the carb apart and found the needle had a bit of white corrosion on the metal that was pushing the rubber tip crooked.  I replaced the needle and it worked fine.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jasonsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbia, sc
Reply #5 - 11/11/14 at 14:14:08

Well i got it taken apart and sure enough there was a pinhole leak in the float making it weigh down. Got it fixed up and about to put it back together and hope it fixes the problem.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/12/14 at 06:30:17

Make sure the oil isnt half gas..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jasonsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbia, sc
gas in exhaust!!!
Reply #7 - 11/21/14 at 08:59:21

welp, i thought my problem was fixed but i guess not. i fixed the pinhole leak in the float and it ran fine for the next day. with it getting colder it's been sitting for about a week now and i decided i would take it out today. when to go start it and gas/oil just started pouringggg out of the breather hose, it's also definitely coming out of the exhaust as well. (the petcock was off the while time)

so what now? do i check the carb again, or do i need to tear down the engine since its coming out of the exhaust? granted while it was running it ran great, better than my friends thought it would run.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: gas in exhaust!!!
Reply #8 - 11/21/14 at 09:02:45

What does the oil level look like through the window?

Has the oil level risen?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jasonsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbia, sc
Reply #9 - 11/21/14 at 09:20:20

It looka overfilled. Id say i had about 1/4 a of tank leak into it. I changed it right after i fixed the previous carb issue.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 11/21/14 at 09:31:48

(1) Check your petcock. Pull the fuel line off the carb, Turn the lever on the petcock to Off and make sure no gas is flowing out of the line. It's not possible to fill the crankcase with gas while the bike is sitting if a Raptor petcock is shut off unless there is something wrong with the petcock.

(2) Buy a new float. I don't think yours is actually fixed.

(3) Dump the oil again.

IP Logged
jasonsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbia, sc
Reply #11 - 11/21/14 at 09:55:46

yup. you were right, i do need a new float. just pulled the float off and found another leak. here's to hoping thats my only problem. are there any carb rebuild kits out for our bikes?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/21/14 at 10:14:19

Obviously a continuation of the previous problem so I spliced it.

You've said you've raptorized it, parked it for a week and it drained the contents of your tank into the engine anyway.

Did you turn the petcock off?
If you did, then you got a bad petcock.

If you didn't... shame on you.

secondary problem, bad float valve or dirty.  clean or replace.
float valves aren't meant to keep the gas off for long periods of time, that's what petcocks are for.

rebuild kits typically don't include floats.

WWW   IP Logged
jasonsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbia, sc
Reply #13 - 11/21/14 at 10:20:07

sorry about the dual post.

next payday i'll be ordering a new float. i just put it in water and there's about 3-4 pinhole leaks that werent there previously. i guess when i cleaned it last time it weakened the float and the gas did the rest of the work.

i tested the petcock while i was draining the gas and when its off its off, no gas still flows, so thats good i suppose. hopefully a bad float is my only problem.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #14 - 11/21/14 at 13:42:51

I hope you weren't going to order a new one from the dealership.  That would be ridiculously expensive.  Here you go:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-SUZUKI-BOULEVARD-LS650-650-CARBURETOR-FLOAT-/360...

DON'T FORGET:  After you replace your float, you need to check your float height.  Otherwise it's all for nothing!  Also, since you're in there, have you checked the tip of your needle?  Might as well make sure it's ok since it's all apart.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 17:05:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas/oil in breather hose

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.