Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another headlight thread (Read 105 times)
ahusain

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Another headlight thread
10/14/14 at 12:25:55

All right, I've done a search and still looking --

1. Anyone using a headlight visor they like? Got a link or other details to share? I was thinking something like in the image below

2. Ever try something weird like just bolting on supplemental lighting onto the engine guard and running it off a second battery? Gets dark too early now out where I live and not much in the way of street lighting etc. Don't want to have to come inside just cause it's dark out!  :'(

Thanks
A

yellow_96_savage.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Another headlight thread
Reply #1 - 10/14/14 at 12:38:37

You have a 100 Watt power source.....regardless of how many batteries you have.  If you add extra lighting and use up the power needed to recharge the battery power you used to start the bike....or use more than 100 Watts for very long, and you are going to be walking at some point.

If you plugged in a spare battery to a charger, and just used it to run some lights until it ran out of power....the stock battery is 12 amp/hr.  If you ran a pair of 50w bulbs driving lights.....100w/12 volts is 8.2 amps.  So you are going to be able to power those lights for maybe 1/2 hour and they will start growing dim......lead/acid batteries lose power as they are being used and will not hold full voltage for the entire 12 amp/hour rating.

I suppose it would be a good project for someone to actually inventory what the power requirements are for the stock bulbs.  Tail light, front running lights, headlight low or high beam, speedo light....and an occasional indicator light (neutral, high beam)....and turn signal operation.

The fact is the stock headlight does not do a good job of lighting up the road with the 55/65 watt H-4 bulbs.  You can get much better lights that  use that power much more effectively.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ahusain

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 10/21/14 at 09:37:40

Dave,

What do you suggest for better lights? Got something kind of noob friendly?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/21/14 at 10:03:38

Get a bigger bucket... Same bulb, same wattage,... more reflector... more light...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/22/14 at 03:33:40

ahusain wrote on 10/21/14 at 09:37:40:
Dave,
What do you suggest for better lights? Got something kind of noob friendly?

My current thinking is that this set-up will get you the most lighting for your dollar - while using standard equipment and not using the LED or HD bulbs.  

Here is a quote from the Danial Stern site:

There are four basic differences between Hella Vision Plus DOT and a Cibie / Hella ECE/E-code lamps.

First is in the lighting pattern. For us in the US, the regulations date from the 50's. The US DOT mandates a dispersed pattern that puts a percentage of the light output UP and to both sides of the road so that overhead or roadside signs, which may not have other lighting or reflective characteristics, are lit for you.

The European standard allows all the light to go on the road - they have a law that any overhead or roadside sign has to have it's own, independent lighting or must be highly reflective. So not only is there more light on the road with your low-beams, the high-beams are more precise as well. There is also a triangle of light on the right side to light up roadside signs.

The effect is that the E-code lights actually put more light on the road for you to drive with, and offend oncoming traffic MUCH LESS because of the sharp cutoff in the lighting pattern; and all of this with the same wattage lamps as in the US. That's on low beam. Because of the DOT low-beam requirements, and the resulting lens and reflector design, it's impossible to get a good high beam.

So if you buy a 7" bucket from Dime City, and then buy a 7" Hella or Cibie headlight assembly and install a good H4 bulb.....you are going to have about the best affordable headlight that you can get.

Satin Black Bucket - $ 54.95:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Chrome Bucket (Deep British style bucket) - $ 62.95:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Gloss Black Bucket - $ 74.95:

Daniel Stern Lighting E-Code Headlight:
Hella $ 42.00, Cibie $ 78.00
http://www.headlightservices.com/Headlamps.html

That last item we need to locate....is the headlight mounting arm that works best with the Savage forks.

The one fellow that has done a similar conversion thought that the clamp on light mounts pushed the headlight out too far, and that the arms had to be bent.  I believe both of those issues could be resolved by trimming the length of the arms, and by using spacers on the sides of the headlight.

I am using an 8" headlight from a 1982 Yamaha Virago920, and it is big and works well and is pretty rare and expensive when you find one....however I believe the 7" E code headlight will work just as well.

IMG_0813_003.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ahusain

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 10/22/14 at 04:00:01

Thank you Dave & Sarowbot. Very helpful! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home