Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
burning fuel (Read 143 times)
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

burning fuel
10/02/14 at 22:30:36

So I travel around 140km in my daily commute to work, and have been doing so for over a year on a single tank of gas, and I usually have around 6 to 10 km left before I have to switch to reserve. But for the last week or 2, I have run out of gas about 6 to 10 kms before I even get home now.  This means I have to switch to reserve before I get home -  whereas before I could make it home and have a few kms spare before I have to switch to reserve. Is there any reason why this could be happening? My bike has been running fine. No loss of power etc. Any help is appreciated

« Last Edit: 10/03/14 at 02:49:16 by Dave »  

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: burning fuel
Reply #1 - 10/02/14 at 22:46:59

air filter

WWW   IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/02/14 at 23:06:13

verslagen1 wrote on 10/02/14 at 22:46:59:
air filter

Thank i will check it this weekend. I also have been recently adjusting the fuel mixtire screw just because of back firing and stalling at lights  etc. Its at 2 1/2 turns out which has made everything smoother now. It was at around 2 turns out when i started. Could this be part of the reason im losing mileage?

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/03/14 at 02:52:06

Adjusting the idle mix screw could very well be the reason you are not getting as good of fuel mileage.  You have made the mixture rich to help correct the backfire....which has made the bike too rich for good fuel mileage.

You may need to choose between mileage......or a backfire.  What muffler have you installed?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/03/14 at 03:41:47

Your"normal"is a little lower mpg than the average. Not a lot..that's pretty close to 100 miles,but unless you are running that thing at high speed,that is a little less than ideal,IMO ..
110 KPH is 68 Mph,right? What kinda speeds are you doing?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/03/14 at 03:57:22

Tiktok423 wrote on 10/02/14 at 23:06:13:
verslagen1 wrote on 10/02/14 at 22:46:59:
air filter

Thank i will check it this weekend. I also have been recently adjusting the fuel mixtire screw just because of back firing and stalling at lights  etc. Its at 2 1/2 turns out which has made everything smoother now. It was at around 2 turns out when i started. Could this be part of the reason im losing mileage?

You could crank the screw back in a turn.....and see if your mileage comes back.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/03/14 at 08:16:11

You can count the number of turns to close,bring it back out,and know where it's set. Tiny brass point in there,finger tips only.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 10/03/14 at 12:14:56

How many kms have you done since you brought the bike?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/03/14 at 18:37:39

jcstokes wrote on 10/03/14 at 12:14:56:
How many kms have you done since you brought the bike?

Ive done about 30,000kms so far. I ride at about 110kph for about 80% of the 140km trip. Everything is stock on my bike including muffler. Yes i assume my tinkering with the idle mix screw could be part of the reason im losing kms. It was only about half a turn tho maybe even a quarter of a turn difference from the original setting. I have noticed i am pushing the bike but maybe just a tad more than i always do. Find it hard to believe that i have lost 20+ kms because of tgese small changes but thats why im asking you guys. Im hoping it is just these changes ive made and not something more sinister

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 10/03/14 at 21:24:29

AS has been said, check your air cleaner. Just a slight bit of additional restriction will get a little bit more fuel use.  

Check your  petcock if you haven't changed it out already.  It may be very slightly leaking.

Tire pressure? Brakes dragging just slightly? Anything new like bags, windscreen?

E10 vs straight gas? That'll usually get you about a 5 to 10% loss in economy itself.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/03/14 at 21:33:32

Steve H wrote on 10/03/14 at 21:24:29:
AS has been said, check your air cleaner. Just a slight bit of additional restriction will get a little bit more fuel use.  

Check your  petcock if you haven't changed it out already.  It may be very slightly leaking.

Tire pressure? Brakes dragging just slightly? Anything new like bags, windscreen?

E10 vs straight gas? That'll usually get you about a 5 to 10% loss in economy itself.

Thank you. Will look at all those things and report back.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/03/14 at 21:41:15

I guess it would be the perfect time to swap out the air filter for a drop in as suggested by the mods links. I'm happy to do this but could someone please link me to the correct k & n filter or part number please. Thanks

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 10/03/14 at 21:43:47

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/04/14 at 09:09:23

I did the KandN and regretted it. I wish I had stayed with the stock setup.. If I woulda just waited for OF to come up with his home built one, I woulda done that. As someone who has been there,done that, I'd stay stock or build one at home..
It takes time for the KandN to dry,, you buy a special cleaner for it,and a special oil.. and you can't ride,,not while it's drying. Mine didn't exactly fit the air box, either. I had to build up places with epoxy,, stock filter fit fine..

Money better spent elsewhere,,IMO..

IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/04/14 at 11:34:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/04/14 at 09:09:23:
I did the KandN and regretted it. I wish I had stayed with the stock setup.. If I woulda just waited for OF to come up with his home built one, I woulda done that. As someone who has been there,done that, I'd stay stock or build one at home..
It takes time for the KandN to dry,, you buy a special cleaner for it,and a special oil.. and you can't ride,,not while it's drying. Mine didn't exactly fit the air box, either. I had to build up places with epoxy,, stock filter fit fine..

Money better spent elsewhere,,IMO..

thanks for the heads up. Will look at the other option mentioned above. Cheers

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home