Send Topic Print
Headlight mods. (Read 1599 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Headlight mods.
Reply #15 - 09/28/14 at 18:21:37

GridMonkey, how "plug 'n play" was that LED bulb you installed?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 09/28/14 at 19:22:07

Dave, his low beam is a drastic improvement over mine. The high beam output would be nice on low beam.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #17 - 09/28/14 at 19:22:44

Well, It comes with "finished" wires, that is a metal sleeve on the ends of the wires that would push into a connector, you can see them on the ebay link i posted part way down, its not the standard 9003/h4 plug, BUT, i just pushed them into the back of the plug where the wire connects into it, easy peasy, did it to test the lamp but it was snug enough that everything has held together for about 250 miles so far. Just be sure to check high low switch works correctly BEFORE you put it all back together and not backwards like i did and then get confused on the test ride Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 09/30/14 at 04:03:05

Keep us posted on how the LED light holds up.  The LED lights seem to make a lot of heat, and most kits have fans on the back to dissipate heat.  In an enclosed headlight bucket.....I am not sure how that is going to work out long term.

Does the rubber boot that seals the dirt out of the headlight fit properly on this LED system?  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #19 - 09/30/14 at 14:35:38

This one does have a fan, and no the boot does not fit, totally forgot i should have mentioned that. Also the retaining wire/rod piece only half holds in place, i should get a pic of that, expect one tomorrow. I really had just popped it in to check it out, and it worked then i didn't ride for a few days and now i've just accepted its in there so i never did a full "here what i did" photo set like i planned.

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #20 - 10/03/14 at 14:48:11

So here are a few pics of the install.

Retainer clip had to be altered slightly as it wont clip both sides. Still seems secure.

As you see no rubber boot, wont fit.

The wiring was pretty easy, just pushed it into the back of the connector and taped them in place.

Tocsik wrote on 09/28/14 at 18:21:37:
GridMonkey, how "plug 'n play" was that LED bulb you installed?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 10/14/14 at 11:59:21

I just received a high and a low watt LED bulbs.

I was able to get both legs of the wire retainer in place.

And yes, they're instructions are incorrect, they state blue is high beam.
Which I interpret to mean passing light.

I just flattened out the bullet point to make a blade connector and used the stock connector.  I'll replace the bullet points with blade connectors at some point.  but might be easier just to cut off the stock connector and splice it.

The hi watt bulb appears to be brighter than the stock bulb (age unknown).

At some point I'll put it in the GS bucket as that has 2 holes in it for ventilation.

I bought the low watt bulb for the 71 Honda cb500 as the stock bulb is 35 watt and the generator is weaker than the savage.
installation will be easier as it has bullet connector already.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 10/14/14 at 13:07:52

Wife has been complaining about how her's doesn't give out enough light, so I just ordered a couple.
Seems to be worth giving it a try, will keep tools available to change it back on the bike, just in case.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #23 - 10/16/14 at 12:49:07

Hello every one, I was thinking more about adding a switch for the lights, and reduce the charge consumption while starting the bike. It has caused me some troubles at a time, mostly when start the bike in winter time Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 10/16/14 at 13:36:45

Albert Verdugo wrote on 10/16/14 at 12:49:07:
Hello every one, I was thinking more about adding a switch for the lights, and reduce the charge consumption while starting the bike. It has caused me some troubles at a time, mostly when start the bike in winter time Smiley

Easiest way... put a lighted switch in the shell for the ground wire leading to the headlight.
There are probably better ways, but they get complicated.

WWW   IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #25 - 10/16/14 at 17:02:42

Versy, by high watt / low watt bulb do you mean you got one of each of those LED type ones, the 12/18 and the 20/30 to compare them side by side?

EDIT: reread your post, saw yes you got one of each for 2 different bikes.

My g/f put her bike up for the winter so i don't have a chance to sit the two side by side for pictures, maybe i can swap lamps out and do it, otherwise it may have to wait till start of next season.

Didn't think of flattening the bullets, may have to do that. I still cant get over how much reflective signs pop, not that they move or anything, but even in the middle of the day i see road signs and things painted that way just jumping out at you, hopefully that's what my headlight looks like to traffic.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 10/16/14 at 20:24:33

yep 1 of each.  not so much for comparison, but different uses.

the hi watt  Huh  is better than the stock bulb, maybe cause it was old.

WWW   IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #27 - 10/18/14 at 04:39:00

I have tried fork mount and that was a pain as our forks are so wide you have to bend the cafe style brackets and in my opinion that looks a bit shite. Hard to find a nice looking headlight that is 7" plus to combat this.
I have also tried the bates style headlights and as part of vehicle testing (once a year here) they can be a pain as they don't stay perfectly vertical and that leaves you open to a fail on your test.  Roll Eyes Fork mounted can also have this issue in my experience.

The original Savage design is actually a good one, with its set and forget adjustment and I think it looks pretty cool. Only issue for me is the plastic bucket - mine has cracked already after 8k.

So to the point: this week I bought a Intruder 1400 to try that solution. The Intruder is the same size lens (5.5") but has a solid steel bucket. The Intruder headlight I ended up getting had stripped screws and is a bit rusty but luckily the Savage front lens unit will also fit in the Intruder bucket. Just. Tight fit and I might open the bucket holes a touch with a dremel, but it works.

Main issue is the bottom mounting holes. Intruder are a bit wider (40mm). I will probably weld a plate at the bottom and redrill.

Anyway a solution but not a perfect one. If I went this way again I would just try to find a Intruder bucket but I didn't know it would fit the Savage lens at the time. Now you do  Cheesy
Shame on you Suzuki morons for cutting corners with the savage.

Photo of my "Intruderavage" headlight.
« Last Edit: 10/18/14 at 11:33:03 by strang »  

complete_headlight_001.jpg
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #28 - 10/18/14 at 05:03:36

plastic Savage - steel Intruder 1400
25mm vs 40mm mounting holes.
« Last Edit: 10/18/14 at 13:18:26 by strang »  

buckets.jpg
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #29 - 11/09/14 at 17:03:03

Ok guys, I seen the results of GridMonkey's pictures and pointed it out to the wife, she liked the idea and has been bugging me for awhile to get her a brighter light.
I followed GridMonkey's lead and ordered this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261536384680?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=...

Well, it took me a day (My body is broke, so I take breaks), but I finally installed one in my bike (to make sure it wouldn't blow up and kill my wife's bike I did mine first).
Here is the video that I made of the swap-out....ok its a bit lengthy and I talk to dang much, and I change my mind every other thought...but the results are quite outstanding.
At the end of the video (if you don't want to wait 22min.) I have pics of before and after..... from the front....my eyes still have a black dot...LOL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQdOkxtlFU4&feature=youtu.be

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 13:37:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight mods.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.