Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't buy Earthx batteries (Read 75 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Don't buy Earthx batteries
01/21/18 at 14:04:42

Remember the comment I made about earthx batteries?  Well, the one in my RYCA just blew up,.. like another one did in a lawn mower last year.  It smoked and leaked blue stuff all over the bike and the floor.  I wonder what that blue stuff is.

I installed it in May of 2014.  I guess 3.8 years is not too bad, but at $200 a pop, I'd hope it would last longer than that.  The lawn mower battery lasted only 2 years.  

The company's attitude in situations like this is something like, "Our batteries are bulletproof, you must have done something wrong."

I'm yanking the Earthx battery out of my FJR and using it for target practice.

I am really kicking myself for spending $600 on batteries that either blew up or I threw out.  The problem was I believed their hype, and thought the first battery was working well, so when I needed more batteries, I bought the same brand.  Silly me.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Don't buy Earthx batteries
Reply #1 - 01/21/18 at 16:36:11

I bough the one in my Cafe' bike in 2013.....and it is still going strong and shows no signs of failure.  It has never been on any kind of a charger.....I just start the bike in the spring and go riding.

Are you using a battery tender?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 01/21/18 at 19:32:25

Dave wrote on 01/21/18 at 16:36:11:
I bough the one in my Cafe' bike in 2013.....and it is still going strong and shows no signs of failure.  It has never been on any kind of a charger.....I just start the bike in the spring and go riding.

--------------------------------------------

I usually didn't need to charge it because just riding the bike every few weeks was enough to keep it charged.  When I did use a charger, I used an old Schaur 4 amp that simply applied a voltage for a while, as earthx recommends (no desulphating, no tapering off, etc.)

It's bad enough that I spent $hundreds for batteries that failed, but what annoys me the most is their attitude.  They showed no concern at all for their product being so unreliable, in fact they showed a lot of arrogance.  At one point the guy asked if I put diesel fuel in the bike.

I hope yours keeps working nicely, but if you hear a POP, and you see smoke coming out from under the battery box, and your floor has a bunch of blue fluid on it,... DON'T call earthx.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/21/18 at 22:05:52

Dave wrote on 01/21/18 at 16:36:11:

Dave, I would recommend that you or anyone wintering a bike to pull the decomp controller over the winter.  It has a parasitic drain and when it fails will try to start your bike sending it into a wall.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/22/18 at 03:11:25

verslagen1 wrote on 01/21/18 at 22:05:52:
Dave, I would recommend that you or anyone wintering a bike to pull the decomp controller over the winter.  It has a parasitic drain and when it fails will try to start your bike sending it into a wall.

I did better than that......I removed the decompression controller! Cool

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:33:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Don't buy Earthx batteries

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.