Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sdpfrek's RYCA Bobber build (Read 940 times)
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sdpfrek's RYCA Bobber build
08/20/14 at 14:29:37

Well I have been thinking about this build for a few years now but I always had other projects going on. I finally decided to build it, so here we go.

Day1
Picked up a 2006 S40 with 980miles. Other than needing a new battery and it was dropped on its left side it is in great shape. When it went down it must have been a very slow speed because there are scratches on the rear shock, the end of the handlebars and the rear turn broke. The plan is to order the RYCA kit but I do want to change a few things. I got the factory rear bags too but they aren't on the bike.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Sdpfrek's RYCA Bobber build
Reply #1 - 08/20/14 at 14:32:57

Day 2
I ordered the RYCA kit and it should be on its way soon. I also went to Harbor Freight and got my new bike jack. I got the bike on it and strapped it down. I pulled the exhaust and windscreen but it was a true "garage nite". There was more sitting around, looking and talking than real work.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/20/14 at 14:36:17

Day 3
I don't have my new parts yet but figured I can get a head start pulling everything off that needs to come off anyway. I am trying to take pictures as I go incase I need to reference them later. I have also been keeping all related hardware with it's corresponding part so there isn't any confusion if I need to go back.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/24/14 at 17:46:17

Day 4
I got motivated and pulled everything else off the bike. I even started to cut, grind and touch up the frame where I need to. My new biltwell seat came in too. I hope to have everything ready to go as soon as my parts come in. I have been rethinking a few things but can't make a decision till the kit is here and I get a good look at all the parts.

I was told the biltwell seat will not work with the mounting setup that comes with the RYCA kit so I will need to figure that out later too.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 08/25/14 at 05:50:14

Use a universal mount kit.Bolts right to where gastank/front seat tab bolts to.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/26/14 at 17:06:37

Got my kit today and just did a quick once over. Looks like the rear frame got a small scratch but not bad for traveling across the US.  Cheesy
I am missing two small things but that should be handled easily. I was looking at my frame where I cut the top rear shock mounts off and I thought I was happy with what I did but after another look I think I am going to try to clean it up a bit more. Hopefully I can get some garage time this week and get moving on putting it back together.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/31/14 at 20:57:47

Day 5

I looked at the frame where I cut it and was not happy so trimmed it a bit more. I ground it down then sanded it and finally painted it again. It is still not as clean as I want but it is way better and most people wouldn't see the difference but I do.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/31/14 at 21:02:24

Day 6

This was a supper nonproductive day. All I did was get the tires mounted and checked out the local Suzuki dealer. I should have taken pictured with the new tires but didn't. Either way you can se them in the next few pictures.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/31/14 at 21:09:49

Day 7

Ok, now I am starting to make some real progress. It is starting to look like a bike again. I lowered the forks and got them back on. Getting that top cap back on was seriously energy draining but I got them on. I got the front wheel and brake caliper back on too. Then I drilled out my new pegs and put those on. I got the new hardtail mounted. That took a bit too since it is super tight. I put the back wheel on just to see what it looks like. I also put the tank/seat bracket on the backbone but didn't secure it. It was a hot day and I was pooped. Oh yah, I also got that stupid coil mounted. The kit said to just bolt it on but it didn't go that well. To begin the holes on the frame were way too close to each other compared to the holes n the coil. Plus drilling out the coil was a pain since you are drilling through stacked sheet metal and not something solid. Like an idiot I stripped the rear mounting point and thought I could just put a nut and a threw bolt on instead. I did get it to go on but it is so tight I had to use needle nose vice grips to even hold the nut inplace while I tightened the bolt. But it is on.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/31/14 at 21:18:17

Day 8

It was pretty hot today too so I wasn't out in the garage till later and didn't get as much done as I wanted. I did get the backbone bracket on so I was able to mock up the tank. I was told the Biltwell seat I have will not work with the RYCA kit so I had to come up with a way to make it work. I don't know if it was the heat or my brain that just wasn't working but I kept thinking up ways that were way too complicated. What I ended up doing was flipping the seat springs around backwards and bending their mounting points quite a bit. I had to bend the part that mounts to the frame so that the spring didn't contact the frame and the top mounting point so it lined up with my seat pan better. I cut and drilled a pice of flat stock so I can bolt the springs to it and then bolt the seat to the plate.

IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/01/14 at 05:06:07

This is a thing of beauty dude

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/01/14 at 09:26:18

NickGann wrote on 09/01/14 at 05:06:07:
This is a thing of beauty dude

Thank you. I am still trying to decide paint. I have two different designs  in mind and each one has a different exhaust and rear fender so I need to call the paint guy to get a ballpark idea what its going to run me so I can decide what direction to go in.

I went out to put a coat of paint on that flat stock and decided to look at the seat again and I don't know what I was looking at last night. There is no way this will bolt on. I need to either make a new wider plate or borrow my friends welder and weld some tabs onto the plate I have to even think about it working. I am not counting today as a work day because I just don't want to even look at it now.  Grin

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #12 - 09/01/14 at 09:56:30

If you need to sell the stock tank, let me know. Wink
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 09/01/14 at 13:00:23

Looking good !!!!!!  Cool

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #14 - 09/02/14 at 01:34:05

dig the whitewall tyres. I mean aqua : )
looks cool dude.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 00:56:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sdpfrek's RYCA Bobber build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.