Question...... (Read 201 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Question......
07/17/14 at 04:10:02

Do video games and rap music, violence on TV/movies, drug use, etc, Contribute to kids/people to acting in the same  manner?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Re: Question......
Reply #1 - 07/17/14 at 04:38:20

"Cause?" Probably not a direct cause.  However, I think it can be argued rationally that "games make people more susceptible to becoming violent."  The US military uses violent video games to "break down their [soldier's] instinctive repulsion to killing."

What Science Knows About Video Games and Violence
PBS NOVA | 28 Feb 2013
www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/what-science-knows-about-video-games-and-viol...

But this little girl might disagree, and you wouldn't want to get on her bad side, as Bill O'Reilly discovered. Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8x14cLGh5o

P.S. I disagree with the popular notion that religion causes violence, as is argued in the above video. I concur with anthropologist Marvin Harris who argues that violence is primarily caused by conflict over resources, and then after the fact, religion is used to justify what happened.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/17/14 at 06:16:50

I know the violence is used as a "tool" to desensitize soldiers but on the other hand playing Call of Duty has not affected me in any such manner.

Flipping the script again, I don't think it's odd that kids who list "Lil' Wayne" as their favorite "musician" score the lowest.
My personal question there is "Does listening to Lil' Wayne make kids stupider" or "Is it only the stupid kids that listen to Lil' Wayne"?

Source: http://voices.yahoo.com/new-study-says-if-listen-lil-wayne-re-stupid-2799666....

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/17/14 at 06:25:49

Does playing chess make kids smart or do just smart kids play it?
I guess now is not the time to go into how the CIA used its influence on the industry and promoted music and art that would tend to bring change to people's attitudes.

Dumb kids don't play chess

I gotta go. Finish later

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #4 - 07/17/14 at 07:48:11

Things sure have change since i quit playing PacMan many years ago. Shocked  Sad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v6aVIDxZOw

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #5 - 07/17/14 at 07:51:17

Don’t put a lot of stock, in a little girl,
Reciting a script, someone gave her.
(And if you sat her down, and asked questions,
she wouldn’t understand 90% of what she said)

When she, ‘grows up’. One of two things will happen.

One, she will get a job, work hard, and then wonder why, others, don’t work,
and have the same things she has.

Two, she will see people having a job, working, and decide,
she can have all those things, because, that other person is working.

And that decision, to do one thing or another.
Is dependent on how she was raised, and what she was taught,
during her formative years.

Was she taught how to play Chess,
or did she watch, ’South Park’ ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/18/14 at 18:01:51

What contributes to peoples "acting" similar is marketing of all sorts, which really just means the repetitive introduction to ideas in many forms.

Im not sure there are any answers but a great place to start is a joint and some time along in an isolation tank to really think about what it is we are doing. But you know, I could be biased.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 07/18/14 at 18:55:55

So.......

According to many "open-minded" people who think rap music with hate, violence, etc, lyrics, is just an artful expression on par with rock and roll, and should be free to express without consequence.

Movies too, showing killing, sex, drug use, etc, is just another artful expression and should be excepted as such.....

That folk understand its just an expression, and they can readily see it should not be taken so seriously as to let it influence your life, ok.....

Then how come tobacco products have been silenced from TV if what folk see/hear on media outlets don't have sway?

Love to hear how liberal open minded folk can tell me how this works?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 07/18/14 at 19:06:42

I grew up watching the Coyote blow himself up, throw himself off of a cliff, etc., chasing the Road Runner.  I'm not a violent person because of it nor am I desensitized to violence.  I realize it's a cartoon and not meant to be real.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/19/14 at 06:02:12

Kris01 wrote on 07/18/14 at 19:06:42:
I grew up watching the Coyote blow himself up, throw himself off of a cliff, etc., chasing the Road Runner.  I'm not a violent person because of it nor am I desensitized to violence.  I realize it's a cartoon and not meant to be real.

Yeah,me too.A difference there is that they are clearly not human. I do wonder what role that played in how so many people have learned to laugh when someone gets hurt. I can't even watch Americas Funniest. I wince in pain.
The realistic shooting videos,I do wonder how they affect some people. Face it,some people are just dumb. Then you've got the border line personality types..  I can certainly see how they could influence some people.
There are some reasons to believe that there is a connection between lower IQ folks and racism. Remember the punks in school? How many of them were intelligent?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #10 - 07/19/14 at 07:12:30

Volumes have been written on this topic by some very smart folks of all persuasions.
I grew up in the 1950s.  I had cap pistols, I had a BB gun, and when I became 14, my Dad got me a single shot, 20 gage shotgun for Christmas.  I have never murdered anyone as a result of having "toys of violence".
But I was raised properly - taught that my cap gun was a toy, not a harbinger of things to come.  I was taught that my BB gun was the first step in learning to handle firearms - how to realize that even it could hurt someone if handled improperly, how to carry it muzzle down, and the rudiments of target shooting at soda cans and paper targets.  We never used pictures or cut outs of people as our targets.
Both of my parents were smart people, although not formally educated beyond high school.  There were lots of intelligent people in that generation who never had the opportunity, nor the need, to go to college.  You could make a comfortable, middle class living then with a high school education.  But a middle class living then was different from what we call it today.  We had one car, not two.  We never had a boat, motor home, or other such luxuries.  We took a vacation once every several years, not multiple times per year.  We ate out on birthdays, not several times per week.  Our wants and perceived needs were far less than what many people think that they have to have today.
Not so today - look at the crazies who have committed the mass murders of the past few years.  I mean the kids in Colorado, and the one nut, Adam Lanza who shot up that grade school.  They were computer obsessed, played violent games that have the player "killing" people and blowing stuff up.  Where are the parents?  Who knows?  What are they teaching, or are they teaching at all?
I could go on for pages, but my main theme is that life is so screwed up now, from single parents "raising" kids, and married parents doing the same, shuffling kids off to a day care center for the most formative years of their lives, to be actually raised by the workers there.
How many young boys today belong to Scouts, CAP Cadet program, or other healthy, morals based groups?  Few, in my observation, while the great majority play on computers.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/19/14 at 07:35:36

All that typing and not one word about the pharmaceutical drugs those Crazies had been on.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #12 - 07/19/14 at 07:45:33

JOG -
Since I have no personal knowledge of what drugs were taken by whom, and further since I am not a physician nor a pharmacist, I don't choose to engage in speculation when discussing a serious topic.
I do feel that too many young people are needlessly medicated.  It's simply another example of parental disengagement - take a nasty kid to the doctor rather than take the time and effort to be a real parent.  It's the easy way out for parents who are too engaged in other things, over the welfare of kids they brought into the world.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/19/14 at 08:45:51

Mass shooters on antipsychotics

Google and Speculation is removed

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 07/19/14 at 08:50:58

JOG -
I wouldn't doubt it.  Another problem with modern life is that we are too tolerant of aberrant behavior.  In the 1095s, 60s, and before, we had several state mental hospitals where people like this were institutionalized. No more.
Now, they are loose, since we became so sensitive and politically correct - we can't lock someone up since modern medicine and therapies can control them and teach them to get better.
What a load of crap - these guys should have been locked way, and we saw what their freedom cost others, and cost society as a whole.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:42:46

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Question......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.