Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbie with questions-several (Read 352 times)
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Newbie with questions-several
Reply #15 - 07/14/14 at 16:20:06

BobH said:  "As mentioned by others, the link is adjustable, but since it works like a turnbuckle, one of the lock nuts is a REVERSE thread.  I believe it is the front lock nut.  So, be careful when loosening the nuts."

I will get out in the garage and try this ASAP - probably tomorrow after work.  I will be careful.  Smiley

I just hope I don't screw it up.  Once I get the nuts loosened, do I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to increase the space?  Do I have to take both nuts completely out?

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #16 - 07/14/14 at 17:18:11

Spedie wrote on 07/14/14 at 16:20:06:
I just hope I don't screw it up.  Once I get the nuts loosened, do I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to increase the space?  Do I have to take both nuts completely out?

I had the same problem you have.  Just loosen the two nuts - one on each end of the rod.  No need to remove anything.  Just turn the rod in place.  The shift lever will move up or down based on the direction you rotate the rod.  It will be immediately obvious which direction you need to rotate it.  When you have it where you want it, just tighten the nuts.  This is a 10 minute job.  Don't worry.  You can't screw up.

Bob
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/14/14 at 18:08:40

Just LOOK at the threads and turn the nuts the right way.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 07/14/14 at 20:51:01

Hope you're right Verslagen. I've charged in and brought one. $NZ 66.52 including shipping. Must find out what a dealer here would charge.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/14/14 at 21:09:44

jcstokes wrote on 07/14/14 at 20:51:01:
Hope you're right Verslagen. I've charged in and brought one. $NZ 66.52 including shipping. Must find out what a dealer here would charge.

me too  Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/15/14 at 13:11:28

I fixed the shift lever at lunch. You all were right in that it was a less than 10 minute job. There was one nut that turned opposite (10mm).  The nut loosened a horseshoe looking like device (reminded me of the battery cable end piece that connects to a batter terminal).  I took a flat tip screwdriver and spread it apart a little, adjusted the shifter up on a sprocket looking type deal and retightened the screw.

That was it. I took it out for a ride to make sure all was well. I had to bring the shift lever all the way up (as far as it would go) in order to fit my boot.

The pegs seem a bit thick. I am sure if I got different pegs that I could lower the shifter.

One tip:  Once you adjust the shifter lever, watch out underneath. There is a rubber hose down there with a wire in it. Once adjusted, I noticed the hose rubbing against the frame more than it would beforehand.  I simply moved it out of the way, and got out one of my handy-dandy heavy duty zip ties.  Tied the rubber hose firmly (but not too tight) to the frame. I still wanted it to move horizontally, if necessary, but not rub as it went down the road. Clipped the end of the zip tie off.

Thanks for all your help. I am now on the hunt for better pegs.

The eBay guy got back to me and said he wasn't sure if the tail light recommended by a previous poster would work on a 2013 S40.  Mine is still duct taped together and seems fine.  Duct tape...it cures many ills.

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #21 - 07/15/14 at 17:02:19

BobH wrote on 07/14/14 at 17:18:11:
I had the same problem you have.  Just loosen the two nuts - one on each end of the rod.  No need to remove anything.  Just turn the rod in place.  The shift lever will move up or down based on the direction you rotate the rod.  It will be immediately obvious which direction you need to rotate it.  When you have it where you want it, just tighten the nuts.  This is a 10 minute job.  Don't worry.  You can't screw up.

I hate to say this, but you didn't adjust it right.  Read the info above.  Did you undo two nuts and rotate a rod?  You undid a bolt and pryed open the "sprocket looking type deal".  Look at the picture.  Put the "sprocket looking type deal" back where it was and try again.

Well, I can't get the picture to post.  Go to the link & look at #38, 39, & #40

http://www.motorcyclegoodies.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b62e8f8700235b8768bf0/gear...

Ok, got the picture to post.

« Last Edit: 07/15/14 at 18:05:10 by BobH »  

Bob
  IP Logged
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/16/14 at 06:34:39

#38 as shown in the picture is bent. I probably got the bike that way. Is it supposed to be straight as shown in the picture?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 07/16/14 at 09:05:26

Order a replacement or two, NOW. Once the rod gets a bend, it will break, usually in traffic. Carry a spare, they are very flimsy pot metal. The shifter rod itself is one of the Savage's major design failures.

I adjust mine at the shifter pawl interface. One bolt, slide off the widget, set peg height, reinstall. As long as the arm is at least kind of downhill, the bike will shift fine. The rod and nut method is for fine adjustment. Wearing size 13EE motor officer boots right now (too small, need 15EEEEE per the proper measuring method at the days end), the fine adjustment is pointless for me.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #24 - 07/16/14 at 09:13:16

WD wrote on 07/16/14 at 09:05:26:
Order a replacement or two, NOW. Once the rod gets a bend, it will break, usually in traffic. Carry a spare, they are very flimsy pot metal. The shifter rod itself is one of the Savage's major design failures.  

Thank you for the good advice.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #25 - 07/16/14 at 09:26:30

Spedie wrote on 07/16/14 at 06:34:39:
#38 as shown in the picture is bent. I probably got the bike that way. Is it supposed to be straight as shown in the picture?

Yes, it should be straight.  The adjustment you made might contribute to the bending.  But put the adjustment you made back to where it was before fixing the rod.

I would order a new rod.  Take the rod out and straighten it and then you can use it while waiting for delivery.  Some might suggest not replacing, just straightening and heat treating it, but for less than $7, I went ahead and replaced it when mine was bent (I ordered new nuts also).  I keep the old straightened one with the nuts in the tool kit.

I ordered from below, but use who you wish.

http://www.motorcyclegoodies.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b36cdf870022ba8af9eab/gear...

Bob
  IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #26 - 07/16/14 at 09:36:35

WD wrote on 07/16/14 at 09:05:26:

I adjust mine at the shifter pawl interface. One bolt, slide off the widget, set peg height, reinstall. As long as the arm is at least kind of downhill, the bike will shift fine. The rod and nut method is for fine adjustment. Wearing size 13EE motor officer boots right now (too small, need 15EEEEE per the proper measuring method at the days end), the fine adjustment is pointless for me.

I was able to make a significant change in pedal height by adjusting with the rod.  I just feel that anytime you change the angle of the pawl away from 90 degrees straight down, you are changing the lever arm and thereby increasing the force required to shift gears, which puts just that much more stress on the rod.  ymmv

Bob
  IP Logged
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/16/14 at 12:46:46

I am now to the root cause of my problem.  The problem was the rod was previously bent, making a very right squeeze for anything but tennis shoes.

Today at lunch I took the rod off and straightened it as a temp fix. I won't go far on that bike as I don't want it to snap on me out in the middle of nowhere.

I am riding it this afternoon. The Suzuki dealer wants me to bring it down to have a look to see if it is running too rich - this was in my first post on this thread. I will report back if they adjust the carb screw.  

I ordered the OEM rod from bikebandit.com for $7.81 plus a little shipping. It will most likely arrive Saturday or very early next week.

BobH: That is a good idea to keep the old, straightened rod in the toolkit with the bike...and a 10mm wrench to change it.  If that part broke, it would be just my luck to be 150 miles from home, and it would probably be raining.

IP Logged
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 07/16/14 at 14:09:51

Report back from Suzuki dealer on bike running too rich: The mechanic took it for a good ride. He said the idle was a little high. He adjusted it down a bit.

He didn't think it was running rich.  He was an older guy, not a fresh faced mechanic. He told me he did not put it on some instrument (don't remember the name) to measure the issue, he was going by what he knows.

I haven't gone out and really ran the bike to see if it is backfiring on deceleration after some miles of riding.

I suppose I will wait and see if I fumigate the guy behind me on my next group ride.  Smiley

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #29 - 07/16/14 at 14:28:56

I hope it all works out.  Just so you have it, here is the shift linkage info from the Technical Reference Section of the Home Page:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1271569716

Bob
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:54:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with questions-several

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.