Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EarthX Battery Muffler Relocation (Read 243 times)
nickythegreek

EarthX Battery Muffler Relocation
07/09/14 at 09:50:08

I hope to tackle the removal of the stock battery box and install an EarthX ETX12A to the muffler bracket today.  I don't really have access to, nor done any metal fabbing before, but I do have some basic cad skills and a 3d printer.  So I took some time yesterday night to whip up a hold down bracket.  I have it printing at the house right now while I am at work.  First prototype will be in white ABS plastic, 10% infill, 3 perimeters.  I'll replace it with a black ABS, 40% infill, 4 perimeter version if this works out.

It is shaped to lock over the top of the ETX12A and I will drop 2 bolts down through 2 holes that I will drill into the muffler bracket. I included an embossed N and P on each side to label the positive/negative terminals.

I've released this model under CC-SA-NC 3 license for others to use.  If I have to make any changes to the model, the link below will auto update.  You can also move around the object in 3 dimensions from the link as well.

I'll update this thread with any issues, hints or concerns as I work through the details.

EarthX ETX12A Hold Down Bracket Model
« Last Edit: 07/10/14 at 06:41:23 by nickythegreek »  

earthx_proto_2.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
nickythegreek

Re: EarthX Battery Muffler Relocation
Reply #1 - 07/10/14 at 07:00:43

The print worked perfectly! I still have some finishing touches to put on my wiring.  I didn't have to lengthen anything, but did have to move a couple things around.  I still do want to get in there and lengthen a few wires just to clean everything up. For now, I zip tied the Solenoid to the bracket that connects the fender (a few inches below it's original position) and zip tied the CDI to the spot where the solenoid was.  I had one wire that I wanted to re-position and I had to tank off the tank to do so.  So this was a perfect time to switch out my stock petcock with the raptor one that I had laying around.  This added some time to the whole project, but another mod done!

The EarthX came with some strips of foam with an adhesive back.  I put one of these strips on the muffler bracket in-between the 2 holes that I drilled for the posts.  I positioned the battery with the positive terminal facing the front of the bike, and negative facing the rear.  The 3d print is holding the battery securely in place and it does not have any room to wiggle.  I will check on it over the next month to make sure that I don't see any cracks forming.  I'd like to add a washer on the bolt of the bolt to help distribute the force over a larger area of the plastic.  I'll probably end up doing this when I print a higher infill (more structural integrity) version in black ABS (ABS is the same plastic used to produce legos).

I've attached the actual STL file used to 3d print for easier access for anyone interested in using it. It took about 1.5 hours to print on my replicator 2x.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 07/10/14 at 09:43:27

Looks good! Nice work....maybe a rubber boot to cover terminals? Or print a 1/16th space for a layover rubber strip that could dangle over the posts?
Just a thought mind you, I don't like connectors getting weathered, guess you could just gob of grease them since the holder is going to be abs it wouldn't hurt it.
I'm going to do the same mod here soon, I have an Parts Unlimited battery that is working well for me, but looks to be about the same size. Going to experiment with straps myself...but that plastic hold down is genius Smiley
Keep us posted!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #3 - 07/10/14 at 09:55:43

old_rider wrote on 07/10/14 at 09:43:27:
Looks good! Nice work....maybe a rubber boot to cover terminals? Or print a 1/16th space for a layover rubber strip that could dangle over the posts?
Just a thought mind you, I don't like connectors getting weathered, guess you could just gob of grease them since the holder is going to be abs it wouldn't hurt it.
I'm going to do the same mod here soon, I have an Parts Unlimited battery that is working well for me, but looks to be about the same size. Going to experiment with straps myself...but that plastic hold down is genius Smiley
Keep us posted!

Agreed.  I wanted to get  a rubber boot (positive terminal has one) but ran outta time.  It is on my list though.

WWW   IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/19/14 at 05:46:48

This is awesome, and exactly what I want to do with my battery! I really don't like the stock battery box, too clunky.

The only bad part is I will have to wait to do it. I just bought a new battery while trouble shooting a no-start situation and didnt think to just buy a nice smaller one...Oh well I guess.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 09/12/17 at 10:34:10

I had earth-x batteries too.  One of them exploded.  The earth-x guy's attitude was, "you did something wrong, you have to buy a new battery."

IOW, screw you!!!

update: another earth-x POS has come apart and leaked blue stuff all over the bike and the floor.

« Last Edit: 03/14/18 at 10:09:38 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 22:24:22

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › EarthX Battery Muffler Relocation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.