Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Keeping old crippled people out of sight (Read 135 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Keeping old crippled people out of sight
Reply #15 - 07/05/14 at 18:23:09

Oldnslow; if a person had an extremely high blood alcohol content behind the wheel, but had not had or caused an accident, would you, as the law, leave him alone?

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #16 - 07/05/14 at 18:46:39

Well, In most places, the ‘Law” is,  “”Driving””, Under The Influence”.
(The inference it is, ‘driving’, on a public road/place)
So in 99%  of the cases, probably, yes.

But here is the difference.
I am at home, I have had a few beers,
the KEYS to the Car, are, IN  My Pocket!

I,   ‘Could’, drive drunk.   (On a Public road),
So can I get a  DUI,
In My House,  for,  ‘Being, Able to’ ?

So the same, I am, 'driving' on a sidewalk,
(With something that is allowed)
at 8 MPH, but what I am 'driving', can go more than 8MPH.
That means I get a, 'Ticket' ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 07/05/14 at 18:48:31

WebsterMark wrote on 07/05/14 at 18:23:09:
Oldnslow; if a person had an extremely high blood alcohol content behind the wheel, but had not had or caused an accident, would you, as the law, leave him alone?

Totally irrelevant to the situation we're discussing here. Unless your hypothetical drunk gets in a wreck ,or is stopped for some other reason, who would know ? People get away with doing stupid/illegal sh*t all the time. That's unfortunate but that's the way it is. You want a Breathalyzer ignition interlock on every single car , even cars belonging to people that don't drink ?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/05/14 at 19:17:57

I thought you were stating your general philosophy of law and not specifically this one sceniro.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 07/05/14 at 19:51:31

WebsterMark wrote on 07/05/14 at 19:17:57:
I thought you were stating your general philosophy of law and not specifically this one sceniro.

Correct. I talked about my opinion about laws in general, and how that opinion applies to this specific situation.

Whether or not someone is able to get away with doing something that is irresponsible/illegal, as in your example of the drunk driver who happens to get away with driving drunk, really has nothing to do with either. Human behavior is what it is. We are awash in stupid laws like the one that this guy on the scooter ran afoul of. The result of that is twofold. Law enforcement resources that could better be used apprehending people that actually do harm to others are squandered on nonsense like this case, and, in the case of police departments or individual officers whose ethical standards are not what they should be, those same laws give them licence to screw with people who ought to be left alone.  

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/05/14 at 20:05:53

I can't argue with that.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 07/06/14 at 13:28:31

The chair he is using is described as a "mobility chair".... the officer should have "clocked" him, if he was not breaking the sidewalk speed limit he by law...cannot ticket him.
The argument in court will be "who classified the chair as a mobility chair" and not the speed.
And yes, I think they should be able to do about 15mph + or - a few mph.
Here in florida the crosswalks are all about 15 second lights, even across a 4 lane with a WIDE median. A normal healthy person has to do a fast walk up to almost a jog to get across (mainly because folks like to keep turning after the red light goes on) before the light goes green for traffic. And believe you me, traffic starts to flow before most folks are across the street.
Now imagine a person in an electric chair going a mere 8mph.... who can't jog across.
And NO they will not change the duration of the crosswalk light because it would impede traffic flow.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 20:47:38

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Keeping old crippled people out of sight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.