Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2015 Gathering.....Where & When? (Read 376 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
2015 Gathering.....Where & When?
06/26/14 at 09:53:23

This thread is an open discussion about the 2015 event(s) where SavageForum members can gather.  I am somewhat of a newcomer to the group and have been on the last 3 of 9 (?) events.  All of the past events were in the Tennesee/North Carolina areas I believe.   The location is convenient for those of us living in the area - however it may be too far away for a large number of our group members.

The Blueridge area offers an endless supply of roads to explore, and each year we stumble on new "favorite" roads.  This year 215 and the entire length of 167 were explored and declared newly discovered "gold".  The locals folks are used to looking out for motorcycles, and I believe tha is a plus....and a lot of drivers will pull over and let you pass when you come up behind them on the twisty roads.  When they don't pull over......you cany always just stop at a scenic view and enjoy the scenery for a few minutes while some open road build up behind them.

I could happily continue to go to the Deals Gap (Dragon), Waynesville and Maggie Valley area for a long time.  It is only 5 hours from my house and it has endless riding areas, and several of our members are experienced in ridng this area and can help us discover the good riding.  The maps that I got showing some riding loops would also keep us busy discovering the rides for several more years.  It might be better to schedule the trip a bit laters in July or August to reduced the rani chances....hoewever even on this year we rode dry roads for 90% of the time....but it sure does seem like that 10% lasts a long time when you are riding a bike with almost no fenders!

So....post your thoughts and suggestions.  Where and when?

Dave    

« Last Edit: 06/26/14 at 11:53:22 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2015 Gathering.....Where & When?
Reply #1 - 06/26/14 at 10:02:47

North Carolina traffic laws have an automatic 55 mph speed limit which does apply in those 35-45 mph mountain roads.   You can't speed, because you can go as fast as you want to go around all those curvy NC roads.

No one in our groups has to my knowledge ever gotten a ticket in NC during the 10 years we have been doing this.   This is not true in other states we have traveled.

Density of very good curvy roads favors the NC areas west and north of Asheville NC.

=====================

HOWEVER, this isn't what Dave asked ---- is there a rider group centered around somewhere else where we can meet up and ride?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/26/14 at 10:17:15

I know So. Cal. is too far. it never rains in CA but you need to avoid fire season.
Santana's are not too comfortable anyway.
The only months you need to avoid are June, July, August and Sept.
And you would only need to avoid afternoon riding.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/26/14 at 11:59:22

And.....there is no reason that we cannot have more than one event in more than one location.  If someone wants to set up a West Coast event....let a Moderator know and we can set up a sticky for your planning and reporting.  Same for the Mountains of Colorado, Sturgis....or anywhere that has great roads and scenery.  Some will be able to attend.....some will not.....same for our Tennessee/North Carolina event.

This is the thread for thinking out loud.

Dave

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 06/26/14 at 18:34:55

Anybody from West Virginia ?   I've been there a couple of times and don't remember seeing any pieces of strait road except the interstate !

So the questions are ???
What is the default speed limit?  
Is there a "Dragon Central" or a "MotorCycle Campground" in the state ?

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 06/27/14 at 03:03:45

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/West-Virginia_124.html

Let the insert map have a few minutes to color the roads in according to the rating system.

West Virginia has a lot of motorcycle rated roads (most of them, actually)

==================

2005 West Virginia Code - §17C-6-1. — Speed limitations generally; penalty.
§17C-6-1. Speed limitations generally; penalty.
(a) No person may drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the existing conditions and the actual and potential hazards. In every event speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highways in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.
(b) Where no special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with subsection (a) of this section, the speed of any vehicle not in excess of the limits specified in this section or established as authorized in this section is lawful, but any speed in excess of the limits specified in this subsection or established as authorized in this section is unlawful. The following speed limits apply:
(1) Fifteen miles per hour in a school zone during school recess or while children are going to or leaving school during opening or closing hours. A school zone is all school property, including school grounds and any street or highway abutting the school grounds and extending one hundred twenty-five feet along the street or highway from the school grounds. The speed restriction does not apply to vehicles traveling on a controlled-access highway which is separated from the school or school grounds by a fence or barrier approved by the division of highways;
(2) Twenty-five miles per hour in any business or residence district; and
(3) Fifty-five miles per hour on open country highways, except as otherwise provided by this chapter.
The speeds set forth in this section may be altered as authorized in sections two and three of this article.

Someone who lives there would have to comment on how often they mark the roads with lowered limits, how harsh enforcement is, etc.

Road density in WV isn't as great as the areas we have been riding.   In WV you are going from point A to point B on the only road up there.

Much of the mountain region of WV is federal forest and parkland, so expect that level of "civilization" and that number of gas stations.

Carry a spare gas can in your saddle bags.  

Expect to share the road with commercial trucks and lots of cars.

« Last Edit: 06/27/14 at 08:13:01 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 07/05/14 at 07:52:52

Our "Shoot and Scoot" was too short.   There are lots of neat winding roads in this area we did't get to ride.   So we could do it again next year.   Dave stayed in the bunk house (10'x16' ac) couse OldFeller got here first and got guest room .   The bunk house could hold several cots real easy (half of it has a 55"TV/PS3 + local chanels and a couch). Then there is always the barn-loft or a 10x20 Dinning Fly in the yard by the fire pit/sitting wall.  And the whole area has WiFi.  Mabby we could do better finding an entrance to the Natchez  Trace next year !  Roll Eyes  

I'd kinda like to ride the length of the Natchez Trace .   It has 3 free campgrounds ,shower type , (so I've read  Huh )  and is <500 miles long.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 07/05/14 at 14:45:20

It was too short, he says.

It started on Wednesday the 18th and ran to Wednesday the 23rd, so it was as just as long calendar-wise as any outing we have ever done.

Are you really saying you didn't get to do all the cool things that you had had actually planned to do?  That it left you wanting MORE ?   Good.

Now this is true, we did use up ALL the available time in a very thickly packed fashion, from wake up all the way to snooze time and we did manage to INCLUDE everybody in everything that was going on while we were up at your farm.   And we did do a lot of neat stuff that fit everybody's liking, and we managed that by tasking folks to find us a new neat place to eat so dinner was always good and fresh and everybody did have something to look forward to.

The smaller trips are generally the better trips, I have always thought so.

I was always partial to those reconnoiter runs that we did hopping from hotel to hotel -- that was always fresh and new too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 07/06/14 at 10:53:34

If we can book a line of room along a "Black-Line" route  that would be good !      Smiley

Or get a room for a week in a central location ???  Huh

For my part we can think outside the box .  Cheesy

One time OldFeller "price-lined" a  place in Gatlinburg and that worked out GREAT !   Then had another one set-up half a days ride later !

And yea  , I'm ready for  another ride already.   I'd go to South Dakota   in August if some of ya'll  wanted to go too.  Something like " Meet up somewhere along the route".

Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/06/14 at 21:17:02 by MMRanch »  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/23/14 at 05:19:26

The AMA magazine had a listing for Harrison Arkansas as a motorcycle destination.  I don't know anything about riding in the Ozarks.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.harrisonarkansas.org/c_upe_view.php?id=34&PHPSESSID=ed7352585d7ee6...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/23/14 at 08:10:10

Harrison is a rather "odd" place. Very laid back and low key, but, it is also a major stronghold of an old "Southern gentleman's club", plus the AmRen, and has a huge NS presence... Fair condition roads, decent to good to great eateries, fair scenery. But not very much to do in the area.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 07/23/14 at 08:57:15

I just spent some times on Motorcycleroads.com and these folks are just a compilation of the varous roads folks have actually ridden upon.

Many listed are relatively larger roads because touring guys do most of the writing.

Example:    Hwy 32 isn't listed at all, nor are some of the better roads like Hwy 80 we all know about.

West Virginia doesn't really excite me as the only roads there are the major from A to B roads, roads that are likely well improved by now.

The roads we tend to like the very best are converted & paved logging roads, dating back 200 yrs plus to the horse cart travel era.

This sort includes Hwy 32 and the Dragon ....   You find them at the edges of populated areas (takes tax money to pave them little roads, it does, and that requires lots of people nearby to fund it).

Go to Google Earth and zoom way out and look at your state for the topo coloring for green areas, this will identify your heavy mountain areas in the various states.   Then zoom in at the areas of interest, down to the local road level, looking for smaller roads with curves that just about touch themselves sometimes -- that indicates the sort of road we like.

West Virginia has lots of mountains, but all the roads seem to go straight from A to B and may have been improved to death to carry the traffic flow.

Boone NC area is mountainous, but when you look at the various ski type mountain areas around it you see a lot of neighborhoods with development streets -- might not be wild enough for us to skate through there (too populated).

Western NC / Tennessee is remote enough that the population doesn't justify extreme traffic enforcement but it has enough money to pave (but not straighten/improve) the roads.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 07/24/14 at 22:16:32

Well !  Grin

We can stick with;

"Western NC / Tennessee is remote enough that the population doesn't justify extreme traffic enforcement but it has enough money to pave (but not straighten/improve) the roads."

Least till we find better !   Smiley  if its posible.

If Ya'll could get off work long enough ... I'd like to go see Mt. Rushmore   or   similar type of road trip .  Smiley   Kinda join-in we go in a given direction type of thing.    Mabby like  if my place was a meeting place for day two , then we go on to meeting place day three ... etc.  

Anybody live along a route headed north out of western NC ... and what's  along the Blue-Ridge headed North that we've been missing out on ?   How far north could we do "Day Rides" and still keep a yard or garage (Motel if necessary) to "over-night" in ? Huh

Just tossing this idea out there ???

Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Re: Dragon Ride No. 2......Planning Thread
Reply #13 - 07/29/14 at 06:53:50

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 07/27/14 at 04:44:28:
yeah we have some good mountain roads. Also some nice rides along the coast but there is usually a lot of traffic. From where I live, I can be at the ocean (along the Maine coast) in about 25 minutes or the mountains in about an hour. I've never been riding up north in Maine but I would assume there is  some nice riding up there with a lot less traffic. Probably less traffic in Vermont too which is about 1-1/2 hours from here. I'll can do some research.

AL

The Kancamagus Hwy would be a worthwhile road.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kancamagus+Hwy,+NH/@44.014894,-71.4274354,1...

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Dragon Ride No. 2......Planning Thread
Reply #14 - 07/29/14 at 17:18:07

Quote:

I ride the kanc at least a couple times every year. from where I live I usually take 153 from Farmington to Conway. Then I take the long route through north Conway, Bartlett and then through Crawford notch and around through Franconia Notch, down to Lincoln and catch the Kanc back to Conway Then home via route 16. That's a pretty full afternoon of riding.

AL

« Last Edit: 07/29/14 at 19:48:51 by verslagen1 »  

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:25:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2015 Gathering.....Where & When?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.