Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting back in the saddle (Read 132 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Getting back in the saddle
08/29/14 at 20:25:36

Today I finally had time to finish putting my bike together since I dumped it over a month ago.  I made sure to double check everything: tire pressure, fluids, connections, etc.  Anything I touched, I checked it.  Afterwards I went for a little test ride, just up and down the street.  I felt a little shaky, and I really didn't want to turn or swerve.  Granted, before my dump the last time I rode was almost a year ago.

To get to my question: To anybody who has ever had a real moving accident (IE more than just dropping it in the driveway or slowing to a stop in the gravel) how long did it take to get your confidence back?  I have to take the bike in for her inspection, and I plan on going for a bit of a ride to try to ease back into the saddle.  I'm hoping I get my mojo back quickly. Undecided

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Getting back in the saddle
Reply #1 - 08/29/14 at 23:34:42

I got t-boned by a 4x4 truck 3 years ago...
That hurt an unimaginable amount...
Not my first crash...  
I've been in 2 bicycle crashes with cars, and 2 solo street bike crashes,... along with numerous dirt riding crashes, and this one...

I was flinchy,.. even in my car, for 6 months to a year after...
Several occasions... I became literally paralyzed, while trying to back up out of a parking place, at the supermarket... in my car...
A hard hit... makes you realize how very vulnerable you are at any moment...
For about a year... my eyes flinched, every time I turned left... in a car or on a bike... even as a passenger... (I would see a kind of strobe light flashing)...
I never stopped riding... but I had to force myself to continue...

Eventually, the memory and the fear fades...(the illusion of personal immortality returns)...
..but, the reality that you can buy it, at any time, becomes very slightly clearer...
You can buy it in the shower, or on the toilet... or mowing the lawn, or fixing the roof...
..and eventually you will...
Life is a one way ride... you will die...
I'm not at all comfortable with that... but, I get closer every time I get a taste...
Life is so short, no matter how careful you are...
I feel so blessed to have gotten this far, when so many don't...
But I'm not yet comfortable with the big sleep...
I'm also not comfortable with with living in a germ free, rubber room, eating only oatmeal...

It's all about balance...  Huh...

I started giving to St.Judes... hoping for some karmic balance...
So many children suffering more than I can imagine...
I have a good ways to go, before I reach balance...

I say... don't think a motorcycle will be the death of you...
Death will choose it's own way...
You choose how you live... if you feel you need to quit riding, there's no shame in that either...
I will never jump out of a plane... (just don't sound fun to me)... Grin...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/30/14 at 04:23:13

I've never had an accident on a bike....YET.  

But I believe Serow has hit a very important point that many people walk through life kinda blind to, you never know when your time is up so live your life to the fullest. I'm not saying that everyone should run out and buy a parachute suite or anything LOL everyone is different. But if you enjoy doing something like riding a motorcycle which is a higher risk activity, you shouldn't let the fear of death sway you from something you enjoy. That being said if you are having trouble getting back in the saddle, it may not be your time yet to get back on the horse  Wink

We are all here until we're not, enjoy your time......Live and Love.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 08/30/14 at 07:54:57

I try to think that I've come to terms with death.  While I obviously don't WANT to die (especially at the spry age of 25) I know that it happens when it happens and I probably can't stop it.  I don't really believe in fate, but death is kind of a given.

The truth of it is death isn't really what gives me the shakes in this case; it's my lack of practice and experience lately that bothers me.  My only ride ended poorly, and I don't want to repeat the experience.  Whether it were another small slide where I had to replace a handful of parts or if some Town Car turned to run me over (I've previously swerved from more than a handful of those...) I don't want to have to rip my bike apart again or go through the embarrassment.

A year ago, I could have swerved and weaved in the road and thought nothing of it. Today, I fear dropping my bike at every turn.  That's the confidence I want back: the faith in my own abilities.

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/30/14 at 08:26:57

Advice for beginners is almost universally the same...

Don't start out on your dream bike...
Buy a smaller, cheap bike,... preferably used... because you will drop it, you will scratch it, you will break it...
The test of whether you will become a rider is do you get back on?...

Have you done a Motorcycle safety course?...(it might help) (I never did, but I started when I was 9yr old)....

If you fear it too much, maybe you shouldn't do it... you only get better by doing it...
Riding should eventually become second nature, like walking, but you are still going to go down once in a while... Just like you can still trip and fall while walking... even after all these years of practice...
Always embarrassing... learn to laugh it off... Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/30/14 at 08:53:30

yup, even if you've taken it, a repeat on the course is 2 days in the saddle that'll build your confidence up.

and then there's a second level course.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/30/14 at 09:06:42

Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 08/30/14 at 10:29:18

I have been in a fatal accident, its always there......my wife was damaged beyond belief, she still can't set in the same seat.... but you move on.

Learn from the past, but don't live in it, as you can't, and you have taken your focus off the present.

Only been riding about 4 years now, daily. From bright sunshine, heavy rain to snow, and the greatest obstacle I have is my own fear. Riding a bike requires a calmness that puts us on the top of our reflexives, which I have come to find makes me a way better rider.  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #8 - 08/30/14 at 11:06:32

I'd like to start by saying THANKS to everybody for the encouraging words and support.  I've done the beginner's and advanced courses; they are required by the army to ride on post.  In the year I was riding before I left I put on about 7K miles - enough that I began to feel good.  There was lots of variation, everything from riding to work, 200 mile highway trips, day trips through a few state parks, and even riding on some dirt roads.  

I did it.  Shortly after my last post I took a ride to get the bike inspected and then work out the old "sta-bil"-ized gas.  It sure felt good to get moving again...  I need to work on my low speed turns, though.  Re-taking the BRC is probably a good idea.  I'm supposed to take a refresher course before I'm "legal" to ride on post, but it's basically just a check ride.  Maybe I'll go find a parking lot and start doing figure 8 drills.

On a side note, I've got an interesting side by side comparison of the thin stalk and thick stalk mirrors.  There is definitely a difference in the perceived vibration.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 08/30/14 at 12:46:10

My experience was quite a serious accident about thirty five years ago, when a car lost control on a bend and rotated across the road into me. I was a month in hospital and have quite a good scar in my right foot to show for it. Friends rebuilt my Jawa 350 and I began to ride about two months later. the rebuild wasn't successful as there had been damage to the steering head. When I put the front brake on there were nasty vibrations. This made me nervous. just under a year later I was overtaking a woman, when a dog ran in front of here. She braked hard and the brand new rear brakes on her car locked up with the cars rear clipping me and flinging me down the road. I wasn't badly hurt, but it put me off bikes for twenty plus years. About seven years ago I came back to motorcycling and was very glad I took a refresher course. So far no serious accidents in about thirty five thousand miles. I did manage to fall off the bike while it was stationary, and sustained a cut.
When you have done your refresher course, try and go to some quiet rural road where you can get back into riding without too much traffic hassle. Hopefully this will give open road speed and manouverablity confidence again. Then gradually work into suburban traffic, preferably at quiet times to start. If you can rise early on a Sunday morning, ie daybreak, you should have time to get out before most people are up. Don't deny yourself breakfast. Good luck with your reintegration to riding.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 08/30/14 at 16:26:15

My accident was March 21, 2010.  
It was due to a 92 yr old woman
running stop sign and hitting me
from behind.
I had just finished a left hand turn
from a 4 way stop. Yes I had stopped
and looked. She was no where in sight
when I turned. I had cleared the intersection
and straightened my bike when she got me.
I was 10 months till I was able to ride.
As soon as I could I got back on the  same bike
and went for a short ride.
I will admit it felt  strange yet so good to have the
wind in my face again.
It took me a year to gain my confidence fully back.
Also that same year to where I would turn left at the
intersection.
I would let everyone that was near go first till the intersection
was completely cleared.
My Mom hated the fact that I got back in the saddle.
I told her, I could sit along the sidelines and watch or wonder
if I could ride again.
I chose to ride.
It may very well be what takes me out of this world.
I would rather go doing something I enjoyed than not.
I ride as often as I can and say a  little prayer each time I leave
the driveway, knowing I may not return.
That can happen in my car as well.
Again before my accident I would jump on my bike every chance
I got. It took me awhile and yet I was determined that the accident
wasn't going to take anymore from me than it already had.
Best of luck and try and not let the bad experience keep you from
riding yet help you become a better rider.
Hugs and best wishes, Kim Genie Smiley

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #11 - 08/31/14 at 22:51:27

I think that the real answer to your questions depends on whether you are someone who rides a bike, or are a biker, who has no choice but to ride.  If the latter, it may take you a very long time to get over an accident.  If you are a rider, then you will get back on the bike as soon as you are physically able to, and  just ride.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/01/14 at 19:10:44

I was riding a bike and got into a head-on collision with a new Oldsmobile, that was back in the sixties and Oldsmobiles were pretty big back then.  I tied to stand on the pegs so I would be catapulted over the car but things happen quickly.  I hit it at about 55 mph, slid over the tank, my legs were dragged over the handle bars and then my head smashed the windshield of the car.  Only then was my inert body free to do the intended catapult over the top of the Olds.  Witnesses said I cartwheeled up into the air as high as the tops of the telephone poles.  The landing wasn't any fun either.  (I was against the new helmet law in our state and had only been wearing a helmet for one week!  It saved my life.  Another thing, I did brake, but my bike was wearing its' brand new Avon   "racing" tires and they slid like they were on grease.)

I was nervous about cars after that and had a hard time getting up to full speed.  Every intersection and driveway seemed to be a threat.  So I bought a couple dirt bikes after that and quit riding on the road.  By then I had a job of some responsibility and a lot of the motocross riders I knew were getting minor fractures etc. and I decided I couldn't risk those minor injuries because too many people were depending on me to be fully functional every day.

So I gave up riding for over 40 years !!! until I bought my S40.  Now I have more bikes and wish I had started back sooner.  Hey, family comes first etc etc.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
atrent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/02/14 at 18:35:34

I got rear ended a couple years on my ninja and took off a couple years but now that I have my savage I cant believe I gave it up. I was nervous as hell when I got my new bike but I kind of liked the nervousness in a weird way.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 09/02/14 at 19:37:00

I took my dive into the ICU 3 1/2 years ago and the return to riding still involves "situational awareness" of certain circumstances on the road that I am sensitive to, to one degree or another.  Riding is relaxed for me but awareness is a bit more focused.  I am also more attuned to my reduced mind/hand/eye coordination capabilities compared to years gone by.  That has changed how I ride.  But I still ride.  After the accident God did not tell me to stop riding.  It does not matter where I am when HE says my time is up.  I could be riding or rocking on my porch; if it's time, then "I'm out'a here".  Until then, I'm not going anywhere.  HE is in complete control of that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 13:15:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Getting back in the saddle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.