Send Topic Print
Backfiring and dying (Read 214 times)
oldskoolsoldier
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Backfiring and dying
06/13/14 at 07:33:09

So I just bought an 05' S40 about a month ago. It rode fine for the first few weeks, then one day last week it just started to sputter, majorly backfire, and then die and wouldn't restart. I would leave it alone for about 15 mins, then start it up again. It would go about a quarter mile before doing the same thing.
Even though it was half full on gas, I filled it up with gas and that seemed to get me the last few miles home. So I thought the problem was that it was just low on gas. So I started to take it to work the next day, full on gas, and it did the same thing again, it would go about quarter mile, then start sputtering/backfiring and then die.
Any ideas where to start looking for the problem? Huh

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Backfiring and dying
Reply #1 - 06/13/14 at 07:37:28

Vac petcock has gone bad, replace it with a Raptor.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1315418285

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/13/14 at 07:37:34

WWW   IP Logged
oldskoolsoldier
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/15/14 at 20:41:54

Thank you! I'll implement both suggestions and let you know how it works.

IP Logged
oldskoolsoldier
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/16/14 at 17:16:43

So I finally got around to getting a new petcock and when I went to go put it on I noticed something very important... The vacuum hose was not even attached the old petcock! The old clamp was worn out and it had fell off. So I just clamped it back on with a new clamp, and lo and behold, my bike runs fine.
I'm an idiot. Cheesy

I think I'm still going to install the new Petcock, though, because I'm still getting a major backfire when I stop the bike. It's kind of cool, but doesn't seem normal.

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #5 - 07/16/14 at 18:08:25

I just installed my Raptor petcock today. Get it; its a half hour job. If that vacuum hose gets a bit hard, it will appear to seal, but won't really do the job, and cause you heartache.

The root problem is that the vacuum tube is a Fail-OFF system, and so much can make it fail.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/16/14 at 19:01:46

No,you're not an IDIOT,at least not yet. Wait till you leave the fuel line off the carb and get about a block from home,THEN you can feel like an
EEEDEYUTT.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 07/16/14 at 20:50:57

oldskoolsoldier wrote on 07/16/14 at 17:16:43:
I think I'm still going to install the new Petcock, though, because I'm still getting a major backfire when I stop the bike. It's kind of cool, but doesn't seem normal.

Actually that IS normal. Absolutely normal. You can play with the carb and exhaust, jetting etc. and it will STILL backfire. Tune it to RUN, not to STOP. If you don't like the backfire, when you stop, pull the choke out and hit the kill switch. Don't forget to push the choke back in and re-set the kill switch, or you will have a bad experience when you try to start it the next time. Ask me how I know....  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/16/14 at 20:59:37

oldskoolsoldier wrote on 07/16/14 at 17:16:43:

Raptorcock won't stop the shutdown backfire.
but you can tone it down to a puff if you richen the idle mixture an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn to the left.

WWW   IP Logged
oldskoolsoldier
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/17/14 at 08:41:15

Hmm, it's still seeming to not be getting proper fuel flow. Still kind of gurgling sometimes, especially on start up and for the first few minutes. I'm definitely going to try installing the Raptor Petcock....

IP Logged
oldskoolsoldier
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/18/14 at 01:11:10

Okay so NOW I finally got around to installing the new Raptor petcock today and I can already feel it making a world of difference. I don't know what took me so long to do this because it only took about a half hour and my savage now starts and runs amazingly. I would recommend this to anyone who hasn't done it yet.  Grin (unless, of course, you bike happens to run great with the factory petcock. No use in fixin' what ain't broke).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:29:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring and dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.