Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Performance Camshaft or extras on my VM36-4 (Read 158 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Performance Camshaft or extras on my VM36-4
05/18/14 at 09:38:38

I think this is am easy question,  but I just ordered myself a MIKUNI VM36-4 carb and I wanted a UFO with it but ended up getting a dial-a-jet and their Quad Flow Torque Wing ($99 for that alone),  along with some other things.   So what originally was going to be about $40 extra to make my new carb really perform well turned into just over $300.  This is kind of bothering me and I was just thinking about it and wouldn't it make more sense to just keep the UFO,  return the rest,  and then get a performance camshaft?   It will cost nearly the same I've spent JUST for the carb,  but give me much much much more power,  right?   My only concern is installation as I hear that can be quite difficult...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Performance Camshaft or extras on my VM36-4
Reply #1 - 05/18/14 at 10:24:07

What engine mods are ya doing that would make it need such a fancy carb setup?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/18/14 at 13:16:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/18/14 at 10:24:07:
What engine mods are ya doing that would make it need such a fancy carb setup?

That's the thing,  so far it would only be the carb which is why I'm thinking putting in a camshaft or a new idea that came to me was to get my cylinder bored and sleeved and get a larger piston.   That method would be much cheaper than buying a whole new cylinder and piston kit...   Regardless,  I think the UFO is all I'll really need.   I'm tempted to have the dial-a-jet,  but I'm at sea level and don't really travel far so add long as I jet it well that wouldn't really even be necessary.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/18/14 at 21:08:46

Ya know, theres a coupla guys here who have done pretty much all there is to do to one of these engines,, You would be well advised to pin them down & ask them what they did & how its working out,, no sense in reinventing the wheel & risking getting the rim outta round,,
Put a cam in it, & do the big bore thing & yea, youll be needin a better carb. What exhaust you planning on?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/18/14 at 23:58:17

You really need to talk to Lancer. I've heard his mutant mutt Savage up close and personal. And learned a few new phrases as it ate and/or shed and/or destroyed a few parts in the week he was at my place....

Big bore kit, hot cam and a dial a jet equipped carb made the bike a bit of a handful.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/19/14 at 06:08:25

WD wrote on 05/18/14 at 23:58:17:
You really need to talk to Lancer. I've heard his mutant mutt Savage
Grin  I held my hands over his ears so he could not hear that.   Grin
up close and personal. And learned a few new phrases as it ate and/or shed and/or destroyed a few parts in the week he was at my place....

Big bore kit, hot cam and a dial a jet equipped carb made the bike a bit of a handful.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 05/19/14 at 07:16:26

Mutant mutt is a GOOD thing. A stone stock Savage is the motorcycle equivalent of Grandma's "Sunday going to church car"...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/20/14 at 04:19:45

WD wrote on 05/19/14 at 07:16:26:
Mutant mutt is a GOOD thing. A stone stock Savage is the motorcycle equivalent of Grandma's "Sunday going to church car"...  Grin

Well, I can't disagree with that.
You just really struck my funny bone with the "mutant mutt" thing.   Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/20/14 at 04:42:35

His name is Imperious Rex and he is the reigning apex predator of the mountain Savages.

Back when he was resting in his boxes, he was Frankenstein, "he who is made up of many parts", he who has been assembled and lived before but is currently resting in pieces.

He reminds us of perhaps why the big dinosaurs mebbe didn't work out all that well compared to mammals as Dave's bike can leave me in the dust just as quick as Rex can, but Dave's bike seems to work a good bit more reliably.    

Dave's bike is more like a panther or a leopard, thin swelt and understated.   Until he opens it up and it scats all over you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/20/14 at 12:25:20

Wow.....didn't know I was spreading any Scat around.  I gotta be more careful.

Rex is most likely a brute.  It has a bigger piston, bigger cam, larger header, more open exhaust.....and Lancer is the pioneer of the performance Savage engine.

I was able to use what Lancer has learned and shared on this site......and I bought a low mileage and well cared for bike with only 262 miles on it when I got it - so it does not suffer from any weather or corrosion related issues.  I have upgraded things a bit - but never to the maximum.  It recieved a Stage 1 cam, Wiseco 95mm, a bit of head porting, and a Mikuni VM36 roundslide (no UFO or Dial a Jet), and I made my own muffler.  Next winter I will build a 1.5" diameter header. My goal was to improve the performance a bit - but I wanted it to be a reliable, durable, long life engine that could still cruise comfortably all day if needed.  It is not a race bike.....but runs really well!

I am fortunate that I found this site, and I have learned a great deal about this bike in the last couple of years, and made some great friends.  If you want a bunch of speed however.....it is cheaper and easier to go buy a used sport bike and hang out with the squids!

Dave    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/20/14 at 15:27:37

(or boost it)

Have you guys with modded 650s every dyno'd your performance?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/20/14 at 18:45:21

savagebob wrote on 05/20/14 at 15:27:37:
(or boost it)

Not me.....I just tweaked it a bit and made it run a little better.  I really don't need the numbers for any reason.....the bike makes me smile and that is all that really matters to me.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/20/14 at 23:54:21

savagebob wrote on 05/20/14 at 15:27:37:
(or boost it)

Nope, when my 98 was still running it was basically a back up bike to my bigger daily riders. One of which shipped with 50hp at the crank and dyno'd 55hp at the rear wheel when we got done tinkering with it... lots of power, no durability, blew the bottom end to scrap. Only had 50K and change on it when the engine grenaded, I put 44K of those miles on it in 18 months. It looked stock...  Cool

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/21/14 at 07:21:21

We do keep track of the dead sportsbikes and Hurleys though.  And them little lovable forest critters that jest can't get out of the way fast enough ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 01:53:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Performance Camshaft or extras on my VM36-4

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.