Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
stalling out at 60mph (SOLVED) (Read 291 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
stalling out at 60mph (SOLVED)
05/07/14 at 16:42:49

Hey again, I am sure glad I have this place because ever since I bought this bike and fix one thing, I'm right there with something else to fix right after. Guess the good thing is I am down to one thing after another as before it was multiple issues. Anyway, I thought I was having a clutch slip issue fixed that and now everything runs perfectly right up until I reach 60mph at that point the bike will begin to hesitate and at between 65-70mph it will stall out completely until I get back to 60 & below. It reminds me of having a governer. Here's the scoop I have the stock BS carb wide open shorty mufflerand screen air filter (temporary to make sure the cone wasn't my other issue)
Carb has 2 washers instead of the white spacer and 55 pilot and 155 main jets any ideas?

« Last Edit: 05/08/14 at 16:48:47 by wickedbiker »  
WWW   IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: stalling out at 60mph
Reply #1 - 05/07/14 at 17:30:56

how many turns out on the mixture screw? You might be running too rich..

Try turning the screw out only 2 turns, maybe 1.5 turns...

Try running on prime and see if that helps (your petcock might be faulty)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/07/14 at 17:45:42

You can check your pet,... it could be giving trouble...
... but, you will never run well, with a screen and a open muffler...

Get a real filter, and get a chamber baffled muffler... you will see a huge boost in power...

Loud is not fast...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #3 - 05/07/14 at 19:21:42

I forgot to mention I just added the raptor petcock and as I said I have a real air filter but I was testing it cause its the cheap Chinese blocker pod. The muffler didn't fit with the baffle so I had no choice, although it has a nice deep Harley tone now and I like it not to mention when you live here in Florida where 75% of the pop is geriatric loud is alive. I had an old woman watch me pull right up to her at 55mph before she decided to go. My wife and kids where in the car behind me watching me almost slide under a boat and truck as I'm power sliding down the red @ 55. So you mean to tell me with a straight pipe on these things they die out at 65?
I must be missing something, I know one thing I am about to give up on this bike and sell it or trade it for something else cause for the past few months since I got it I have wrenched it twice as Mich as I have rode it. This thing is getting rediculus. I think even you guys are getting sick of helping me.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/07/14 at 20:29:46

Naw, you're just getting into the good stuff. All the piddly crap so far has been just that, piddly crap.

Florida is sea level or below. 155/55 is too fat, you're actually choking it out with too much fuel on the top end. Stock is far too lean for sea level, but perfect for people above 4000' elevation. You forgot to factor in how much denser sea level Dixie humid air is. Your 155/55 is acting like a 185 or bigger main.

I used to live a block and a half off the beach in Long Beach MS. You need a 152.5 over 50, or a 150 over 52.5, haven't lived on the Gulf since 7/99, forget exactly which combo it was, but leaning towards 150 over 52.5...

Pretty sure I have a 150/50 in my 03 right now. I could use a bigger main, tops out at 72mph, but, my 14EEE logging boots do act as brakes, so do the saddlebags and windshield...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/07/14 at 21:01:29

did you get a gen u whine raptorcock?

if it's a cheap chinese copy, fess up right now.

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #6 - 05/08/14 at 04:34:12

I was thinking that was the issue I'll try those combos out tonight, thanks

And the petcock said it was a raptor Yamaha 660 petcock I ordered it on eBay from zoom zoom parts in Michigan. It seems to be working a hell of a lot better than the one that was on there..

Looks the same to me but those Chinese knockoffs do sometimes

I'm assuming this is the un -orange-urinal

I'm not going to lie though, I did pay $7 shipped for it... Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #7 - 05/08/14 at 05:44:19

WD wrote on 05/07/14 at 20:29:46:
Florida is sea level or below. 155/55 is too fat, you're actually choking it out with too much fuel on the top end. Stock is far too lean for sea level, but perfect for people above 4000' elevation. You forgot to factor in how much denser sea level Dixie humid air is. Your 155/55 is acting like a 185 or bigger main.

I used to live a block and a half off the beach in Long Beach MS. You need a 152.5 over 50, or a 150 over 52.5, haven't lived on the Gulf since 7/99, forget exactly which combo it was, but leaning towards 150 over 52.5...

Pretty sure I have a 150/50 in my 03 right now. I could use a bigger main, tops out at 72mph, but, my 14EEE logging boots do act as brakes, so do the saddlebags and windshield...

If this helps, I'm in FL (sea level) and my factory supplied jets worked fine before and after removing the white spacer..

I did run on prime after my petcock started displaying symptoms like you described (ran fine on prime)

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #8 - 05/08/14 at 16:47:53

OK did I say I was fet up with this bike? I think what I meant to say is I love this little bat out of hell!!!! You were right on the money I swapped out the main for the 152.5 and bingo bango I got to 70.... 75....80.... the bike was saying "is that all you got???" But I didn't want to push my luck on us 19 so I was happy with that. Thanks guys bike is ultimately running perfect all the way up the throttle. Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: stalling out at 60mph (SOLVED)
Reply #9 - 05/08/14 at 19:31:17

Great to hear your problem was fixed.  Don't stop tuning; see if she's got more!

FWIW, that petcock definitely looks like a Chinese copy.  Genuine Yammer-Hammer pet-rocks have only 1 lip on the outlet nipple.  They also have a stamp at the top edge on the same side as the face.  See attached pictures for references.

You may find that your chinese copy works okay for a while.  Ride it till it dies - that could take some time.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #10 - 05/08/14 at 20:02:12

I just checked my raptor 660 petcock, which I just received, to see if it is a copy.  It came in a Yamaha box with part no. 5LP-24500-01.  It has the single nipple and it has a stamp in the same place as your H14, but it says b3N.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/08/14 at 20:48:14

Well,, locally theyre a bit over 25$,, If ya get somethng for 7$,, well,, who knows,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 05/08/14 at 21:03:51

Is this the genuine yammy pet?  I think this is what I got from partsfish.

fp2-5.jpg

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #13 - 05/09/14 at 01:54:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/08/14 at 20:48:14:
Well,, locally theyre a bit over 25$,, If ya get somethng for 7$,, well,, who knows,,

$7? $25 good grief we get screwed down under,local scamaha shop here want's $95,and I have to wait for it to get shipped from Oz..*maaate..ya dreamin...*watch this clip to see what I mean by that  Smiley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqRVqXMyzhM

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #14 - 05/09/14 at 03:53:54

that's because everyone is upside-down there  Grin

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 16:18:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stalling out at 60mph (SOLVED)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.