Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Regearing for more gears? (Read 497 times)
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Regearing for more gears?
05/13/14 at 17:12:32

I've had my S40 for about 2 weeks now, and I'm wishing this thing had more gears.  So I'm wondering if there is a drop in transmission or some kind of way to get more gears that will give me a smooth second gear in slow turns and lower RPMs when cruising on the highway at 75mph.  Any ideas?

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Regearing for more gears?
Reply #1 - 05/13/14 at 17:37:38

From what I've read, you can do a chain conversion (I'm sure there are discussions in the tech section).  You're swapping chain maintenance issues and some bucks for the conversion for some lower RPMs at higher highway speeds. You need to decide if you ride enough highway miles to make it worth it to you.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/13/14 at 17:48:21

Quote:
So I'm wondering if there is a drop in transmission or some kind of way to get more gears

Haven't heard of any.  Adding more gears is a major undertaking even for the manufacturer.

Quote:
will give me a smooth second gear in slow turns and lower RPMs when cruising on the highway at 75mph

I understand your complaint about an awkward point when turning corners in second or first.  Today I rode my other bike around some well know corners and noticed it had exactly the same problem on those same corners as the Savage does, too fast in second so had to do them in 1st.  That's the way it is.  I had a dirt bike that did all the corners in second but it wasn't any good on the open road.

You shouldn't be lugging the engine in second.  If you are going that slow downshift to 1st.  That goes for any vehicle.

Many people on this forum agree that 5th gear should have been made with a bigger gap from 4th to 5th so that highway speeds could be done at lower revs.

Quote:
Any ideas?

Some people change the final drive ratio.  There are two ways to do it.  One is by replacing the belt drive with a chain and sprockets.  Then you can pick whatever ratio you want.  Some on this forum have substituted a different final drive pulley for the existing belt drive.  Both methods require a decent amount of work and expense.  I have a slightly larger tire on mine which changed my ratio slightly, I can feel it when I start out in first gear.  There are some good threads on this forum about changing to a chain and sprocket.  Changing the overall ratio will help your top end revs but it will make your 2nd gear turns even more difficult.  Easiest solution, downshift to 1st when negotiating a tight street corner.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/13/14 at 17:55:58

You are in luck ihasabike.  Dave's thread about pulley conversion just popped up in the current threads with your post. "Kawasaki Pulley Conversions"

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #4 - 05/13/14 at 18:38:30

I'm bummed there is no drop in transmission for the S40.  That Versy guy should just make a drop in 6 or 7 gear transmission.  I'm pretty sure that would sell like hotcakes.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 05/13/14 at 18:44:13

Just do the chain conversion then you can stretch out the gears as much as you want.  Put a really big from front sprocket on.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #6 - 05/13/14 at 18:52:22

I'll be honest, there is no way I am doing a chain conversion on this thing myself.  Is there is a pro in the DFW area that will do it for me?  If so, I have the money.  Other than that, I'm more likely to buy one that has already been converted.  Anyone selling one of those?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/13/14 at 19:04:01

I wish I could but hell no.
I wish I had a few spare trannys laying around from other bikes.

WWW   IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #8 - 05/13/14 at 19:06:56

verslagen1 wrote on 05/13/14 at 19:04:01:
I wish I could but hell no.
I wish I had a few spare trannys laying around from other bikes.

What if I bought a new one of your choice and sent it to you?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 05/13/14 at 19:08:08

Quote:
...a drop in 6 or 7 gear transmission.

Changing the final drive ratio by switching to a chain drive and playing with different sprocket sizes may not make enough of a difference to make you happy. You might be happier in the long run with a different motorcycle.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 05/13/14 at 19:09:37

http://shop.rycamotors.com/chain_conversion_kit.html

Their is instructions on the web site.  If you got tools, the forum can answer whatever questions may come up.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 05/13/14 at 19:12:06

Quote:
I wish I could but hell no
  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/13/14 at 19:37:01

Ride it for a few months,, YOull get used to droppin into first & ramming the thing thru turns

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #13 - 05/13/14 at 19:58:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/13/14 at 19:37:01:
Ride it for a few months,, YOull get used to droppin into first & ramming the thing thru turns

Yeah, I think i can get used to the low gear aspect.  But driving at 5k rpms at 75 mph, when the engine redlines (according to the manual) at 6k rpms leaves me wanting more.  Plus, the vibrations simply become uncomfortable past 55 mph.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/13/14 at 22:31:25

Vibration? That's easy... change the handlebar for something comfortable and order some decent grips. Decent means like the old Gran Turismo jobbies that Emgo (among others) is cranking out copies of. Finding them in 1" can be a bit of a pain, but worth the effort. Also, pop off one riser cap, drill a hole, and fill the bar with sand or bird shot. No more vibration.

Gearing? Pull off the front pulley cover (3 8mm bolts). Spin off the 32mm nut. Swap on the front chain conversion sprocket. Put the nut and the cover back on once the chain is draped around the sprocket. Drop out the rear wheel assembly (2 bolts you back off, and 1 axle bolt you pull out). Remove the pulley bolts, toss the pulley in the junk bin, bolt on the sprocket. Install the wheel all the way forward in the swingarm notches, drape the chain around the rear pulley, add the master link (clip type is fine). Set your tension. Adjust the rear brake. Go for a ride. Reset the rear brake a couple more times.

Takes about as long to do as to type. Have not done either of my current rides, have converted another local one. Piece of cake.

I'm lazy, I just keep the engine wound up a bit.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 06:31:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Regearing for more gears?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.