Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Gun control again
Reply #15 - 05/17/14 at 10:36:24

But,.. in the town with no guns,.. you aren't so jumpy... so, you aren't ready to blow someone's head off if you hear a noise...
People may loose a couple of things, and get new one's from insurance, but nobody died...
In the town with guns,... a father is scraping his child's blood off the kitchen wall... because the burglar heard him getting some milk...

Overly dramatic, I know... but the basic point is, violence begets violence...
We do have an incredibly high number of shooting deaths compared to other counties.. and this is the reason...

Do you value lives more than stuff?...
No to mention that, statistically,  a gun in a home is much more likely to kill a family member than a criminal...

Just arguing the the opposing view here... don't jump down my throat..
But, facts are facts, and you are safer in most other civilized countries without so many guns, than here, where we have them...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/17/14 at 21:53:54

No to mention that, statistically,  a gun in a home is much more likely to kill a family member than a criminal...

Id like to see that proven.

What our media does is make tons of noise about guns & deaths. What they dont do is accurately report the times when a citizen thwarts violence by having a gun. In fact, Id bet that fewer than 20% of those events even get reported to the cops. I know I wouldnt call them & tell them if I stopped a thug by pointing a gun at him.,. The media is complicit in molding the attitudes of the people against guns.

Eric Holder says do it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIcSLhGvaTE

Use schools to brainwash the kids.

Ive listened to parents call in & read what their kids are being taught about the 2nd amendment. Its shocking & its FAR from what the 2nd amendment says.
Statistics have demonstrated that crime drops when the people start carrying guns. I remember when car jacking was all the rage. In La. there were people being killed almost every day. Finally the Governor said it was time for the people to defend themselves. Took about 2 weeks for the game to end. A good number of would be car jackers died, gut shot, writhing & screaming & bleeding out,, you know, you open a car door & someone is sitting there with a gun,, the gut is where the bullet goes.. You have an opinion, I say its based in what you want to believe. The world you would have is nice, it just isnt reality,.Decriminalize drugs & we will see a huge drop in violent crime, Bring back jobs & give people a shot at a decent future & crime will drop,, This is no accident. We have been de-industrialized & are being used as the strong arm of the thugs( Global Elite). Our military is being used to accomplish their ends.. We are being sunk economically. All those trade agreements that were supposed to "level the playing field"?,, Yea, that sounded good, BUT, they werent meant to raise everyone UP to our standard of living. They were meant to take us down, a LOT,, & Maybe bring them up, SOME.. Think Im wrong? Look at the results. Think those were "Unintended consequences"? Then how is I saw what was coming before Nafta was signed into law? Im not smarter than the lawmakers,, anyone could see what Nafta would do.,Well,, those who looked AT it instead of listened to what we were told about it,, we could,, Just wait till this new one goes thru. Mr TRansparent wont even let all of Congress see it,, Its gonna finish us off,, Thats why the goobs need the guns, cause our economy isnt ruined, YET..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #17 - 05/20/14 at 16:48:08

crime drops when citizens are armed, proven overwhelmingly in FL when they started issuing conceal carry permits to qualifying citizens. State after state followed Florida's lead BECAUSE crime drops.

crime increased drastically in england when they rounded-up home owner's rifles..

this notion that we are safer unarmed is the biggest pile of horse hockey..

so if a burglar breaks into your home you are safer waiting helplessly in a closet for the cops to arrive LONG after the burglar has left?

come on folks, think about what CBS is telling you, your guts will tell you the truth.. a gun is nothing more than a tool, quit attaching a personality to a simple tool please and grow a pair  Shocked

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #18 - 05/20/14 at 19:09:09

Personally, I think the child proof gun is an important women's issue, and that if gun rights activists were smart, they would support the development of childproof guns as a measure to assuage the concerns of mothers as well as fathers.  I don't, however, think that childproof guns have to be criminal proof.  A simple mechanical safety that is defeatable by an adult, but mot a child, is what I'm looking for.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #19 - 05/20/14 at 19:26:08

we already have childproof trigger locks. It is required by law to have trigger locks on all guns if there is a child in the home.

When I was a child my father taught me to never touch a gun, not anywhere. I taught my children the same, it's just like teaching children not to jump into traffic, not jump off high buildings, etc.

we want to make life so idiot-proof that soon we will all be mumbling fools, how about parents being responsible instead of just breeding chimpanzees  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 05/20/14 at 20:36:16

ihasabike wrote on 05/20/14 at 19:09:09:
Personally, I think the child proof gun is an important women's issue, and that if gun rights activists were smart, they would support the development of childproof guns as a measure to assuage the concerns of mothers as well as fathers.  I don't, however, think that childproof guns have to be criminal proof.  A simple mechanical safety that is defeatable by an adult, but mot a child, is what I'm looking for.

The neighbors kid shot himself in the head when I was young.
I don't remember getting the talk.

There was a investigative news cast last year or so they did at a school.  10 yr olds or so.  moms swear up and down their kids wouldn't touch a gun, they all had gun safety in class.  they planted a gun in a room and left it for a couple of kids to find.  just about all the boys touched it, none of the girls.

Quote:
a simple mechanical safety that is defeatable by an adult, but not by a child

come up with a better mouse trap and you'll make a million.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 05/20/14 at 20:36:27

If a gun is in your home, you (the parent) are responsible for teaching the children proper (PROPER) gun safety.

If I touched a gun before I turned 11 years old I got my tushy whupped.....it only happened once.

We were taught real guns were NOT for children, and we were taught the difference.

At age 11 I was taught gun safety and was allowed to shoot the pellet rifle only when a parent was present, if I touched it when one was not present I would get my tushy whupped...  I did not touch one when a parent was not present.

At 13 I was taught how to shoot a .22 cal rifle and a .410 shotgun.... same rule above was applied... I was also allowed to carry one while hunting with a parent.

By age 14 I knew all about fire arms and their usages and was told if an unknown person threatened our family I would be allowed to defend  them.

I was raised to respect the weapons for what they could do, deal death... and I was taught that it was WRONG to deal death to an innocent person.....

As a parent.... I taught my son the same way, and hope he will follow suit...

Responsibility.... learn it, teach it, and never point the finger at an mechanical device that cannot operate on its own....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #22 - 05/20/14 at 20:44:47

old_rider wrote on 05/20/14 at 20:36:27:
If I touched a gun before I turned 11 years old I got my tushy whupped.....it only happened once.

We were taught real guns were NOT for children, and we were taught the difference.

I was taught to shoot a 22 rifle when I was 5 years old.  At age 16, I was a junior rifle and shotgun instructor.

[quote=shorty]we already have childproof trigger locks. It is required by law to have trigger locks on all guns if there is a child in the home. [/quote]

Do those trigger locks permit an adult to readily use the gun at need, without having to fish out a key and unlock it?

I have had gun discussions with a lot of ladies.  A lot of them just don't carry because they have young kids that could go through their purses and get their hands on the gun.  Can you teach a 4 year old not to play with a gun?  Would you even try?  Those ladies are not able to carry, so why should they agree that others should have that right?

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 05/20/14 at 21:21:08

Answer.... concealed carry... the weapon is on your person, the child will not be able to get it without your permission.

Child proof locks do not work, on anything... if a child wants it, he can get it, a lock might slow them down, but won't stop them.

A gun safe will, or a gun cabinet...

If you are afraid your child will get your gun.... then you are not taking the proper measures.

If you are afraid you will shoot someone, you should not have a gun, even though it is legal for you to have one, because your fear will allow you to make the mistake of accidentally discharging the weapon and potentially hurting someone......just don't get one.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 05/20/14 at 23:24:04

I took my father in law's guns away except for the one in his nightstand. He was leaving them around the house, chambered, no safety... He and his (now late) beagle both wobble, a lot. I was carrying the 20g jam-0-matic home and it went off...

I admit I keep loaded guns close to hand, but the safety is engaged. Of course, most of them the "safety" is the operator physically thumbing the hammer back... Just like with motorcycles and trucks, I prefer old guns. My primary handgun is a .457 cap and ball revolver loaded with 50-60gr equivalent powder charges in each hole of the cylinder, capped and ready to go. I can hit a paper plate with it at 100 yards...

Been shooting since I was 10. Trained by German and American snipers. Zero accidental discharges of MY guns (including a highly modified pre-64 M70 .243 with a half ounce trigger pull), and I very rarely miss my targets, inanimate or living.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #25 - 05/21/14 at 05:31:22

As far as childproof guns go, I think the grip safety on the Springfield XD9 might be an effective childproofing mechanism for small children, but I don't know for sure.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/21/14 at 06:18:35

I was raised around firearms.
I had, and still have, a Red Ryder BB gun.
Moved up to .22 and up and up.

I was taught how to handle, care, respect, and be responsible.
I think I've posted it here but I only ever had one "accidental discharge" due to a build up of funk in a trigger in a shotgun but the barrel was safely downrange and no ammo was even near the gun before everyone was clear.

The traffic analogy is great.
Same thing with the hot stove.
I'm on the fence with the whuppin's but kids aren't all dumb. Talk to them like adults, preach the importance, they will listen.

--Steve

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #27 - 05/21/14 at 20:53:27

Like I said, I was taught to shoot a 22 rifle at age 5, and instructing by age 14.  But my one misfire happened last year with a 22 henry lever action.  It was my fist lever action, and I was used to bolt actions and automatics,  I checked the chamber expecting to see any chambered round pulled back into view when I opened the chamber, much like a bolt action.  Not seeing one, I instinctively pointed the rifle down range and pulled the trigger.  It was still a close call though.  Another group's little girl was unexpectedly rounding in front of me at the time, curious to see what I was doing.  It was like a living nightmare.  I've been extra paranoid at the range since that incident.

« Last Edit: 05/28/14 at 19:55:11 by ihasabike »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 03:01:48

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Gun control again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.