Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Gun control again
Reply #2 - 05/15/14 at 17:59:55

I agree,.. both sides should be more reasonable and work towards sensible gun laws...
I don't think misdemeanour crimes should warrant gun confiscation or restrictions...

I would think
- limits on mag capacity is reasonable... (we already have that with shotguns)... 10 shot max...
- Better, faster, backgrounds checks,...
- ...no more straw man purchases...
- Requiring all open and concealed carry weapons to be registered...
- A ban on home storage of full-auto... (you can still own, and use at a range, but they would be kept under lock and key at a police depot or licensed range)...

I'd also be for age limits and perhaps graduated licensing for 110hp crotch rockets...
Maybe a 140mph limiters... (even 120mph)... (there is no public road where those speeds are at all safe)..

...and no more pants hanging below yer' butts... (that's just fugly, and maybe unsanitary)... Embarrassed...

Okay,... I'm prepared to be clobbered... Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 05/15/14 at 18:40:14

Buddy I don't have any real issues with what you say, but that would only work in a perfect world, sorry  Sad
We have laws, they were implemented to punish and curb offenders, what has changed that these laws don't work?
My guess is they are not enforced because of ?????? all sorts of reasons, why?
My biggest fear is I don't ANY government and
tyranny  (ˈtɪrənɪ)

— n  , pl -nies
1.      a. government by a tyrant or tyrants; despotism
     b. similarly oppressive and unjust government by more than one person
2.      arbitrary, unreasonable, or despotic behaviour or use of authority: the teacher's tyranny
3.      any harsh discipline or oppression: the tyranny of the clock
4.      a political unit ruled by a tyrant
5.      (esp in ancient Greece) government by a usurper
6.      a tyrannical act

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/15/14 at 20:25:54

laws only work when you have law abiding citizens.

what can we do to prevent guns getting into the hands of criminals or those about to be?

name something and cite an example

gun lock/safe... sandy hook, no access to unsecured weapons.
gun lock/safe would be issued with each gun.
recorder will record time out of lock/safe and will be reviewed on timely basis with LEO/ATF agent.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/15/14 at 22:05:52

My buddie's dad,... had a collection of around 600 guns and rifles... they were stolen...
The police recovered a couple... just a couple...

I would bet, many of them went into hands you wouldn't want them in...
I don't know the solution,... but in a land with so many guns... they are bound to get into hands that shouldn't have them...

The first step to a solution, is to admit that there is a problem...
We do have a lot of gun related crimes, deaths, and accidents...
We should all admit that...
Nothing will ever prevent them all...
... but, some reasonable steps could make them less...

I did give a few suggestions,... but, better than me, arguing for my view...
I think it would be better to hear a few ideas from more ardent gun supporters...
Unless,.. we are going to do the "slippery slope" argument... to give an inch, is to give a mile...
This is absurd...
As you all must admit... there are already many laws and regulations on guns and many other things... it's just that the ones for guns, don't seem to be the right ones...
Some laws... are bad laws... some are good, but unenforceable... some exist, but don't have the funding to enforce... some, may not have adequate punishment...
Is anyone on the Right, willing to put forth any change that might aid in reducing gun deaths?...

PS... I am a gun owner... multiple in fact... and have shot many 10's of thousand rounds over several decades...
So I'm not an a'fearedypants of guns , Liberal...
I'm a Liberal gun owner...
I don't measure my manhood, by the number or size of my bullets...
...but, I do have several defensive weapons, and few for plinking fun...
I believe I am a reasonable gun owner, comparable to many Conservative gun owners...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 05/16/14 at 05:38:32

Quote:
Is anyone on the Right, willing to put forth any change that might aid in reducing gun deaths?...

For starters try this: Profiling. Yeah , I know. Dirty word in our PC world.
But we already know who the perpetrators, and the victims, of most of the gun violence in this country are. And before someone jumps on me about Lanza, Holmes etc. go look at the numbers - all the numbers - the high profile mass murders that the media loves so much are actually abarrations and represent a tiny percentage of gun deaths nationwide.

Every 15 - 20 year old ghetto rat in the city where I live, and where I worked for 30 years, has a handgun stuffed in his pocket or in his waistband, and an awful lot of those guys have no hesitation about pulling it out and blasting away. Mostly they wind up killing each other, and the media dosen't much care. But they are still dead - killed by guns, and often enough, they take out an innocent bystander or two. Figure out a way to get those guns out of every inner city and you will cut the gun deaths in this country by more than half.

When Bloomberg was mayor of NYC he agressivly pursued a program called "Stop and Frisk" where the cops were encouraged to stop anyone who the thought looked suspicious, and check them for guns or dope. Confiscate the gun and , and this is the most important part, prosecute the guy for unlawful posession, which in NYC ( actually in all of NY, is a felony with a mandatory prison sentence). Racist? Probably. Unconstitutional. Yeah, probably. But it's been a long time since law enforcement in this country worried much about the constitution. "Stop and frisk" worked. Gun violence in NYC went down dramatically.

So start with that. Then come talk to me about enforcing/creating laws that only apply to gun owners like me who have never, ever, been part of the problem. Google the so- called NY SAFE act if you want an example of the stupid usless legislation I'm talking about.

And just for the record. I'm no fan of ex -Mayor Bloomberg. In fact I think he's a total Di*khead. But even a Di*khead can get something right once in a while.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #7 - 05/16/14 at 05:48:15

just a couple of existing gun laws:

all gun sales require background check (form 4473)
mental health affidavit for all gun sales (form 4473)
minimum age requirements (form 4473)
no multiple handgun purchases w/o faxing NTC (form 3310)
all gun sales (new & used) recorded & kept 20yrs.
no shortened rifles or shotguns
no full auto
no silencers
no incendiary ammo
no armor piercing ammo
no explosive ammo

some stats:

over 99% of gun crimes committed by repeat offender.
over 99% of gun crimes committed w/handgun.
legal gun owners commit less than 1% of gun crimes.
less than 6 shots fired in over 99% of gun crimes.
FL crime fell drastically after allowing CC licensing.
most states adopted Conceal Carry licensing standards.
licensed Conceal Carry holders commit less than 0.1% of gun crimes.
Horrific gun crimes represent less than 0.1% of gun crimes.

*The Gun Control Act of 1968 was ground breaking in it's
restrictions & caused zero drop in gun crime. Congressional analysts
concluded judiciary & penal system need improvement for public safety.

*The above info can be found @ ATF.gov & FL dept of Law Enforcement

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/16/14 at 06:09:23

Serowbot wrote on 05/15/14 at 17:59:55:
- A ban on home storage of full-auto... (you can still own, and use at a range, but they would be kept under lock and key at a police depot or licensed range)...

I'm curious as to why?
There have only ever been 2 crimes where a legally owned fully automatic weapon was used. Since 1934.

verslagen1 wrote on 05/15/14 at 20:25:54:
laws only work when you have law abiding citizens.

gun lock/safe... sandy hook, no access to unsecured weapons.

Lanza killed his mother with a knife in order to obtain her rifle (which we still do not know if it was properly secured or not).
If you had a law against killing people he would not have illegally obtained the rifle in the first place.

--Steve

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/16/14 at 06:17:08

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az

Reply #2 - Yesterday at 17:59:55  Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote    

I agree,.. both sides should be more reasonable and work towards sensible gun laws...
I don't think misdemeanour crimes should warrant gun confiscation or restrictions...

I would think
- limits on mag capacity is reasonable... (we already have that with shotguns)... 10 shot max...
no, I like my 30 clip on .22  I shouldn't have to give that up because of a few shootings a year. -
Better, faster, backgrounds checks,...
Agreed, but let's decide on what a background check consist of. Taking fingerprints? No, why should the feds have my fingerprints if I did not commit a crime?

- ...no more straw man purchases...
I think that's already illegal isn't it?-

Requiring all open and concealed carry weapons to be registered...
what do you mean open and concealed carry weapons? definition.

no way.... no how. It's not yours if it ain't at  your house.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 05/16/14 at 09:40:24

The gun violence of today is just a symptom of a greater problem that is the intentional decaying of society. People alive before me removed morality from schools, minorities are warehoused in ghettoes and brought out every two to four years to vote Democrat and then go back to their hovels.

Abortion is used as a population control rather than family planning and abstinance because they avoid people making their own decisions.

This focus on gun violence ignores all the other violence that occurs in the same place - what about all the stabbings, beatings and such that happen alongside gun violence.

Giving someone greter power over my day-to-day life in the name of safety where no real safety is created, just the reverse, is not any kind of solution. You wanna stop violence in ghettoes then give those people a proper education, a strong moral foundation and gut the federal government.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/16/14 at 09:46:18

shorty wrote on 05/16/14 at 05:48:15:
just a couple of existing gun laws:

all gun sales require background check (form 4473)
mental health affidavit for all gun sales (form 4473)
minimum age requirements (form 4473)
no multiple handgun purchases w/o faxing NTC (form 3310)
all gun sales (new & used) recorded & kept 20yrs.
no shortened rifles or shotguns AOW form
no full auto simple but expensive license
no silencers simple but expensive license
no incendiary ammo You can legally buy tracers online
no armor piercing ammo Most ammo sellers openly stock it
no explosive ammo Can be easily ordered online, legally

Updated and fixed.

We have an AOW .410 handgun at the farm, it can't legally leave the premise. You can hunt deer in TN with silencer equipped firearms as long as you have the state and federal licenses for it on you. We use armor piercing rounds on feral hogs, head shots, destroys no edible meat. Order them by the 1000 round case.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/16/14 at 10:56:20

Let's keep on subject, please.
This is not a discussion about the 2nd amendment.

Thanks shorty for the stat's

laws only work when you have upon law abiding citizens.

what can we do to prevent guns getting into the hands of criminals?

It seems that we can't.  The only thing we can currently do is dissuade them from using it by being armed ourselves.

WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 05/16/14 at 14:13:25

verslagen1 wrote on 05/16/14 at 10:56:20:
Let's keep on subject, please.
This is not a discussion about the 2nd amendment.

Thanks shorty for the stat's

laws only work when you have upon law abiding citizens.

what can we do to prevent guns getting into the hands of criminals?

It seems that we can't.  The only thing we can currently do is dissuade them from using it by being armed ourselves.

^^^^ this!!
Being a "free" people requires that each person to be responsible for their own security, ie to be armed. The alternative is ... well is everything else.  
I would love to see gun crimes go down... go to zero, but not at the expense of being free to protect myself.

There are really only two deterrents to gun crime:
1) fear of the victim ( to out gun you)
2) fear of the law enforcement, and criminal courts to find you/lock you up

I know from personal experience that #2 has failed, and is in constant failure, and has been for a long time. If what I propose is true.. then an "fixes" should lie with #2 and NOT with #1.

Sri and I already had this discussion here.. and I think we came to an understanding if not an outright agreement. (for those that dont know Sri was very anti-gun and rather liberal, but we agreed on many issues)

Sri's point was that gun crimes in Detroit or Chicago were completely out of control, and he advocated nearly a ban. Yet I pointed out that here in the south guns were common and really did not seem to be an issue.  If I recall right, we agreed that, culture and population density seemed to hold a larger causation then lack of laws.  I think we can see it, large cities are pushing hard to ban guns or reduce access to them, while rural states see no need for such encroachments.

I dont think there is a simple answer, beyond lowering population density and addressing cultural norms that popularize and re-enforce the crime and inhumanity seen in big cities.

Given all the above I do NOT see a need for national change on gun laws. I do see a need for local areas to be allowed to address their issue locally, and to whatever extent they can get the voting public to accept.

Guns are being stolen in MS in record numbers... mostly from wildlife services trucks ( 3 AR-15's this year). But crimes are not being committed (here) with them.. instead they are being sold .. yup up north in the big cities.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/17/14 at 09:37:12

Lets play a little game.

YOure a bad guy. YOu have a gun you bought from another bad guy. He stole it & will sell it to you for $50.00. Now, youre armed. You can go to a town where guns are illegal or to a town where citizens are required to have a gun.

Youre planning on making $$$ by pulling home invasion robberies.

Which town do you go to?

If you answered the town where guns are illegal, youre intelligent enough to realize that guns in the hands of good people are the best answer to guns in the hands of bad people.

The 2nd amendment isnt about hunting or self defense. When the Big C was written, both of those issues werent issues. It was considered as natural as breathing to kill things to eat. There werent many grocery stores with packages of meat in a cooler. Self defense? There werent police stations & 911. There werent cop cars roaming the streets,,
If you got attacked, you either defended yourself or got hurt/killed.. They didnt see a need to discuss hunting & self defense. The second amendment is about the power of the people to ALways be armed in order to be able to throw off a tyrannic government,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:26:16

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Gun control again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.