ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Help My bike hates me
Reply #15 - 05/15/14 at 07:00:53

quentin99 wrote on 05/14/14 at 20:57:29:
If you look Into the tank you can see some rust speckles on the wall.

Is it just the slight start of rust showing on the metal, or is there actual flaking?

If it's just showing NP, if there is flaking you should address it.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/15/14 at 13:34:06

It's just showing through

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #17 - 05/15/14 at 13:54:35

Apparently the Raptor petcock part number is 5LP-24500-01. There are several Raptor petcocks and some use smaller diameter pipes.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 05/15/14 at 15:04:03

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/28/13 at 23:47:20:

Step #2   Replace with Yamaha Raptor petcock pt. no. 5LP-24500-01-00

WWW   IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/15/14 at 21:01:32

So I searched eBay by model number and got some results all for a 01-05 660 yahama raptor. So I searched again but this time 660 raptor. Found the one for the 01-05 and its a third of the price. My question is: is it going to fit right. I read that a lot of people order the wrong size outlet for gas

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #20 - 05/15/14 at 21:52:39

quentin99 wrote on 05/15/14 at 21:01:32:
So I searched eBay by model number and got some results all for a 01-05 660 yahama raptor. So I searched again but this time 660 raptor. Found the one for the 01-05 and its a third of the price. My question is: is it going to fit right. I read that a lot of people order the wrong size outlet for gas  

Not sure what you mean by a third of the price, but you'll spend about 17-20.00 on a reputable parts site for a Raptor 660. If you're spending a third of that, you're probably getting a Chinese knock off that won't work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 05/15/14 at 22:36:31

Its just soo easy to walk in the Yakky shop & spend the $$ & KNOW youre getting THE right part

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #22 - 05/15/14 at 22:50:47

The Chinese ripoffs fit the tank, but the outlet pipe is too small. This can easily be fixed - just cut  a 15mm long piece off the vacuum hose you won´t be needing anymore, put it over the outlet pipe. You have just increased the pipe diameter by just about the right amount. Now, the gas hose will fit. Cool

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 05/16/14 at 03:52:36

jcstokes wrote on 05/15/14 at 13:54:35:
Apparently the Raptor petcock part number is 5LP-24500-01. There are several Raptor petcocks and some use smaller diameter pipes.

The Genuine Yamaha Raptor Petcocks will have a part number and a Yamaha box.  If you don't see the box in the add and the price is not over $ 20.....keep looking until you find the right part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-660-FUEL-PETCOCK-FITS-SUZUKI-LTZ250...

This is a nice listing......but it is not a Yamaha part.  The outlet pipe has two ridges...the original has an expanded pipe....not a machined pipe.  If you don't see the part number and the box....don't buy it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Raptor-YFM660-YFM-660-Gas-Fuel-Tank-Switch-Pet...

You also need to avoid the petcocks with the short stem.  This is a Yamaha part....but it will not fit the Savage as the valve does not extend down far enough to clear the bottom seam on the tank.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-YAMAHA-RAPTOR50-RAPTOR-80-GRIZZLY-80-PETC...

This is a pretty creative add.  It says it is a Genuine Gas Fuel Valve Petcock......it does not say it is genuine Yamaha!  It is also a short stem petcock that will not work on the Savage.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-GAS-FUEL-VALVE-PETCOCK-2004-2011-YAMAHA-Y...

The bottom line........and strong suggestion is......buy the Yamaha 5LP-24500-01.  It fits properly, works properly, and is bolt on.  If you aren't going to buy from a reputable Yamaha parts retailer in person or online.....at least be sure it is a genuine part before you buy it on eBay.  If you don't see the box and part number.....keep looking.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #24 - 05/16/14 at 15:04:51

I just phoned my local yamaha stealership and not only do they not have the part in stock it costs 42 and change from them. I'm thinking of going with the Amazon listing found at:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-5LP245000100-Fuel-thingy-Assembly/dp/B004K9I25C

Yes, I finally need to change to a Raptor. Even mine finally went south after all this time of me quietly sitting to the sidelines of the great Raptor Wars. After 28 years and 50,000 klicks it has given up the ghost.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #25 - 05/16/14 at 15:06:38

Bwa-ha-ha!  Grin

I love how the link still works even though the website changed it to 'thingy'

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #26 - 05/16/14 at 17:26:37

greenmonster wrote on 05/16/14 at 15:04:51:
I just phoned my local yamaha stealership and not only do they not have the part in stock it costs 42 and change from them.

Partsfish 18 bucks plus shipping  http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/yam/50038eacf870021f60a0c3a3/fuel-tank  

IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/17/14 at 08:42:28

Oil is fine. Did the test covered the vacuum line it ran better and then died. It seemed like the engine was flooded and I heard a ticking sound so I'm going to rip off the cover later and check the chain.

IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 05/17/14 at 09:16:02

Bike running. With stock peacock and the vacuum line attached to the carb. With the line out and plugged it idled fine for a bit and got really sluggish when you twisted the throttle. But it's making a ticking sound I'm thinking it's the timing chain. Anyways take a listen and let me know what you think it is. I have not pulled the cover yet

http://youtu.be/_CdeoNzIhNs

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #29 - 05/17/14 at 09:23:00

quentin99 wrote on 05/17/14 at 09:16:02:
Bike running. With stock peacock and the vacuum line attached to the carb. With the line out and plugged it idled fine for a bit and got really sluggish when you twisted the throttle. But it's making a ticking sound I'm thinking it's the timing chain. Anyways take a listen and let me know what you think it is. I have not pulled the cover yet

http://youtu.be/_CdeoNzIhNs

Youtube says the video is private. You need to make it public.

You can also run the stock petcock on "prime" and it bypasses the vacuum. If the bike runs better on prime chances are the petcock is going bad. But you won't have "reserve" so you need to watch your gas.  Ask me how I know...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 05:34:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help My bike hates me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.