Send Topic Print
Fuel in air box? (Read 365 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fuel in air box?
Reply #15 - 07/28/13 at 09:50:27

The mechanics "out there" see all kinds of bikes. Only rarely do they get one of these. You are in a group of guys who have loads of experience with these bikes. We have seen at least 2 engines destroyed at Dealerships just getting an oil change. When a suggestion comes from several sources here, man, do yourself & us a favor,, jump on it.. so that problem can either be eliminated or repaired. Thats a real common issue with these. The next thing that bites newbies is a battery hot enuff to spin the motor at a decent speed, but,, even tho it sounds like its spinnin fine, the load on the battery will often pull the battery voltage juuuust low enough the spark wont fire,,&, to make it all the more confusing, you can pull the plug & check spark & THERE  it is! BUT, the battery isnt driving the piston against compression,, so, the load is much lower.. so,, if its not starting but its spinning over, check voltage, sitting & while spinning the starter. Need alligator clips for your V-meter or a friend

« Last Edit: 07/29/13 at 05:11:59 by Dave »  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/28/13 at 19:23:01

Ok, I just need to ask a few questions about this test first because I don't understand the prime and cap test.  After checking the hose that connects to the rear of the petcock for fuel and sucking on it to see if it is sending fuel, I need to do a prime and cap test (that is if the rear hose isn't sending fuel).  Disconnect the line that is connected (in the picture) and block the piping.  After I block the piping set the petcock to prime and see if it runs better.

Ok if it doesn't change I still have to run it for about two gas tank loads to make sure correct.  Please correct me if any information is incorrect.   Also, if fuel comes out of the line I disconnect that I am suppose to block, does that mean the petcock is bad also or is it normal.

I'm going to ride whether I have to push this bike or not!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 07/28/13 at 22:32:05

if fuel comes out of the line I disconnect that I am suppose to block, does that mean the petcock is bad?

Test is over if you suck on that & get gas. It fails. Its not supposed to ever get gas IN that hose. That hose is supposed to draw a diaphragm & open a passage. That hose is supposed to only deliver vacuum to the petcock & not supposed to suck gas. Im not winning,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 07/28/13 at 23:47:20

No Justin, you fer sure certainly ain't a winning on this one.    

Wink

All 3 active moderators have told the boy to do the test.

He got a PM from me telling him all he needs to know about the why's behind the test.  
He's done with the explaining part .....

NOW HE NEEDS TO GET HIS HANDS DIRTY AND DO IT.
(jest suck on the silly tube, if you get any liquid gas, even a drop it's a fail)

Pending him posting back what happened, he's done.

Only other possible step would be to find out where he lives so we can try to send him some help him because if he can't do Serowbot's Test he isn't going to be able to do anything else either.

==============

Now this here ditty is supposed to be a joke, son      I think ...   Roll Eyes   well, mebbe not

The Simplified Serowbot's Test

Step #1   Do you have a stock vacuum petcock?  If "yes" go to Step #2

Step #2   Replace with Yamaha Raptor petcock pt. no. 5LP-24500-01-00

Considering how many stock vac petcocks fail the existing test lately (like all of them) vs the like zero that pass it, perhaps the shortened test format can be substituted for those mechanically challenged people amongst us.  

This would certainly save time and aggravation all the way around it would.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 07/29/13 at 00:31:51

Yea, under $30.00 & Remove all question.. pretty simple.,

IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/29/13 at 18:40:37

I followed the instructions for test and tested the vacuum line on the rear end of the petcock.  It didn't like any fuel nor did it show signs of leaking fuel.  No deposits or anything.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 07/29/13 at 19:52:11

So now you go to the plug and the tee and you run it prime for a week or so, then you can say if it ran better or not.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/29/13 at 20:55:46

So block off the line that I checked for fuel and set the petcock to prime and see if it runs better?  I will start this tomorrow.

Do you think this would help with it not wanting to start when its hot?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 07/29/13 at 21:06:25

Youll soon find out,,

IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/30/13 at 08:51:14

So what do you recommend I cap the line and the carb with?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 07/30/13 at 08:51:24

TheProduct2007 wrote on 07/29/13 at 20:55:46:
Do you think this would help with it not wanting to start when its hot?

No, but what you describe IS one of the main symptoms of a failing vac petcock, which is starving your engine for gasoline periodically until your engine just quits.

We can't count the number of times a failing vac petcock has stalled someone's bike in traffic and then wouldn't let them crank it back up (trickling gas in soooo slowly the bowl took forever to fill back up)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 07/30/13 at 08:58:05

TheProduct2007 wrote on 07/30/13 at 08:51:14:
So what do you recommend I cap the line and the carb with?

You have read the test right?   What does it tell you to use?

Huh

I'm beginning to wonder if  you have even read the test .....  much less even tried to do it.

(I'm done here .... he's obviously just here for some idle conversation)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/30/13 at 09:10:58

You know what I did read it. It said take off the vacuum line from the rear petcock and suck it to see if you pull any gas and no gas came through the line.  Then it says to take pull out the line and block it.  I asked you what do you recommend blocking it with, not how more of a smart ass you can be.  You have been recommended this test from the beginning of the conversation and it wasn't the cause of the first two issues.  I no longer need your help because I will take care of it on my own I spent 500 on the bike and got it running and moving without doing a petcock test until the issue with it not wanting to crank after being ran for a while which sounds like the ignition coil is getting too hot or has a bad ground.  I understand y'all's reasoning as to why it can be the petcock and I have done the initial test part and I'm starting the prime and cap test but I no longer need any smart ass remarks to help me fix the bike I will do it myself.  So moderator please end this conversation and delete my account.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 07/30/13 at 09:24:58

Good luck there, just do what the pictures and the text say to do --- and please, have yourself a nice day.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 07/30/13 at 09:45:15

Pretty uncommon,, owell,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:09:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel in air box?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.