oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
new XP warning
04/28/14 at 08:57:35

Anybody still running XP and IE might want to take a look at this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/serious-internet-explorer-bug-leaves-hal...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: new XP warning
Reply #1 - 04/28/14 at 09:15:11

At this point I dont trust Bill Gates to NOT be looking for a way to wreck XP users in an attempt to sell them new software. I dont load any " updates", havent for years, I did a coupla security packs,,long long ago,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 04/28/14 at 10:28:41

We did the "updates" for our old laptops for XP last week, nothing untoward happened.

If they go down, I will probably load up an old copy of vista or something (if I can find it) for her and I will use Linux.

The heartbleed virus shows it will hit mostly social sites... I don't think that it will hit major business sites seeing as they know its out there.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 04/28/14 at 10:50:05

This issue is based on MS Internet Explorer, not XP itself. XP cannot run newer versions of Internet Explorer, so the vulnerability will not be fixed for the older versions of Internet Explorer.

If you are still running XP, do not use Internet Explorer. Move to Firefox or Chrome.  They are still being patched.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 04/28/14 at 10:53:41

The really bad part of this vulnerability is that it is a "drive-by" vulnerability. This means that with an unpatched version of Internet Explorer, all a user has to do is connect to a website that contains the malware for the vulnerability. It will run the malware on your computer without asking your permission or without even notifying you. BAM! You've been compromised. Move away from using Internet Explorer on XP NOW!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/28/14 at 10:59:33

Well, THAT Ive done. Im back on Moe Zilla..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 04/28/14 at 13:38:41

sez Justin as he fingers his Mint DVD and wistfully thinks about it ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #7 - 04/28/14 at 21:42:14

I said screw microsoft and went and bought a Macbook air

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/01/14 at 23:05:05

I use chrome, as IE and firefox no longer operate on my PC  Cheesy
the article recomends disabling adobe flash, isn't adobe flash needed?
a lot of my problems seem to involve shockwave flash crashing, and I ccan't find it in programs list to remove it
*sigh* I need a new computer, but I'm so cheap lol

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 05/02/14 at 03:41:05

Art, did you ever put a CD/DVD cleaner disk inside your bad optical drive to see if the reader sensor needed cleaning?

Or did the optical drive just die totally?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 05/02/14 at 08:35:54

Yahoo news story from Forbes saying XP will be extended....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/05/02/microsoft-saves-windows-xp...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 05/02/14 at 08:49:40

Yup, XP is "extended" for one  (1)  fix that is simply due to MS having entangled Explorer into the guts of XP so deeply such that fixing the current Explorer mess means they HAVE to patch XP again or else the old anti-trust case about Explorer might become an active item again.  

MS was told by the court to make Explorer completely free standing and separate from the XP OS, and they apparently did not do that.

Folks should be getting tired of MS's sorry half-arsed programming by now, if not just being tired of MS in general, period.

SOMETHING NEW

See a new cheap PC board using the Octa-core A80 from Allwinner.   This board has way more processor power than many of the old XP class machines, and a better video system than Intel's XP class on board video systems.  

Or any of the separate ATI and NVIDIA XP class video cards that cost hundreds of dollars for you to buy way back then.

By a lot.

For less than $100.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 05/02/14 at 09:22:58

SOMETHING GOOD FOR $79 CHEAP

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Kindle-Fire/dp/B00AFKC4EK/

This is Amazon's best consumer consumption computing device from last year -- at $79 it is quite a steal for you to be able to try out portable computing with a known "winner" device for $79 cheap.

The tablet that everyone can enjoy

A Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire is a pre-owned Kindle Fire that has been refurbished, tested, and certified to look and work like new.

Learn more:

Includes a full one-year limited warranty, just like a brand-new Kindle Fire
   All new — 40% faster, twice the memory, longer battery life
   Ultra-fast web browsing over built-in Wi-Fi, easy-to-use email works with Gmail, Yahoo! and more
   The most popular apps and games — Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, HBO GO, Pandora, Angry Birds Space, and more
   Kindle FreeTime — set screen limits, create child profiles, and more
   Kindle FreeTime Unlimited - just for kids. Unlimited access to books, games, apps, movies and TV shows. Learn more
   Massive book selection, vibrant color magazines. Over a million titles less than $9.99
   Over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, audiobooks, apps, and games

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/02/14 at 10:14:21

WELL POOT!!!
My wife recently cracked a bone in her foot & has been relegated to being on the couch with it elevated a LOT.. She has a Kindle, but wanted the Fire, so we went & got one a few days ago. Man, she Loves that thing,, Heck, I like it, too. I dont read books on it, I listen to late nite radio, Noory is all Ive listened to, but Im hunting something else.. Since they fired John B well ( a victim of his own success, IMO) I dont like it as much. I liked Wells better,, & since they fired him, I like Noory that much less.. Anyway, that thing is amazing. Surf th innerwebs, do anything except make a phone call,, its like a smartphone, only bigger, except ya gotta be where a link exists, doesnt work off of cell towers. Im not a tech lover, in that Im a bit of a luddite. Im not good at knowing how to use cell phones ( I can reply to a text, but have no idea about how to initiate one), I can make a call or answer one, so, whoopie! But for me to do what OF does? Look at something & figure out why its not doing what its sposed to do? Ohh,, not happnin,, I MIGHT figure out the memory is full, but how to sweep some of it out? Not me, folks,, not me..

NOW,, what I can do is solve problems in areas where the problem is visible & the answer is to build a tool to address it. WE bought a little planter for the garden,, but the soil wasnt flat. Every time it rolled up a little hill it lifted the part that drops the seed out of the dirt & when it crested the hill it dug in, stopping it & planting too deep. Sooo,, I got 2 bed frames & some 2&7/8ths pipe & built a gizmo about 30 inches, front to back & about 50" wide, the bed frame angle iron angled from a V point in front with 2 more parallel to that Middle V's arms & theyre tilted to slice into the soil a little. I put a leg with a foot on it at the rear to keep the front down & built it so the tie on to pull it is down low in front, to keep it from submarining.. It worked on the first pass! It left some ridges so I took another piece of the angle & put it on one of the boards I use to get the back hoe out of the mud & pulled it & Violas! Its Smooove & flat! Now I just gotta get my tail out there & plant,, but IM pooped from the last 2 days..

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 05/03/14 at 06:37:08

Yup, the Kindle Fire is an awesome little notebook, I have dozens of books on mine.
I like the fact it has Wi-Fi capabilities, but would have liked it to have a camera.
I used mine all during my chemo treatments, either read or watched movies, but had to plug it in as the battery would not last for the five hours I was there.
I still use it when I go out for the day and I don't want to take a laptop with me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 09:25:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › new XP warning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.