Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Losing Weight...or How I Removed A Muffler Bracket (Read 103 times)
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Losing Weight...or How I Removed A Muffler Bracket
04/23/14 at 20:41:04

I have been wanting to get rid of the huge mount for a while. It hung down lower than my muffler and seemed unnecessary. But I didn't feel like messing with having to make a new mount. I finally tackled it today. It was so much easier than I was expecting. I even used the mounting bracket arm already attached to my muffler. The only extra "part" I needed was a nut and locking washer. Just thought I'd share and post some pictures of the finished product.

After I removed muffler and belt guard, the muffler bracket under the bike was easy enough to get to. Removed the two 6mm hex bolts and 12mm bolt. Bracket came out. I reused one of the hex bolts, through the same spot it was in, just had to fit a washer and nut onto it.

Had to bend/twist the arm to reach from mounting spot to muffler, but wasn't too hard with a pair of pliers.

Once the angles were pretty close, I snugged everything back up and that was it. Easy "mod". Cleaned up right side of bike and dropped some weight. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Garbage/Dead Weight

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Losing Weight...or How I Removed A Muffler Bra
Reply #1 - 04/23/14 at 22:51:02

Weigh it before you junk it. Post the result.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/24/14 at 06:18:26

While you may feel the original muffler mount is garbage and dead weight...it works great for most of us and you need to consider that Suzuki made it to hold up the original heavy muffler for the life of the bike - which could be 20+years and 100,000 miles or more.  It may have been a bit overdesigned for the lighter muffler you have installed - but for the original muffler designed to meet the sound restrictions.........it probably had to be built that heavy to withstand years of rough roads that some bikes might be ridden on.  There is no doubt that it is strong as some folks put their jack under the mount to lift the bike when servicing the back wheel.  If something whacks the muffler with the orginal mount most of the stress it going to be taken up in the muffler mount....with your thin strap a lot of that force is headed up the header pipe to the joint at the header/cylinder.   Suzuki could have made the mount out of aluminum and saved some weight.....but not on this low cost economy cruiser!

Time will tell how durable your mount is....it certainly is not as rigid as the original design.  If it allows too much movement and vibration it may cause the header or muffler to develope stress cracks....so don't throw that garbage and dead weight mount out too soon....you may want to use it again someday.  (Especially if you decide to move your battery!)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #3 - 04/24/14 at 11:53:42

Dave,

No doubt there was research put into the design. But as you said, for mine its overkill. It's pretty sturdy. I'm using the same bracket that was already on there, and its connected to the same mounting spot the original bracket was. I just took out the piece connecting the two, so if anything seems it would be even more sturdy...?... but my thinking could be flawed on that  Cheesy

We'll see how well it holds up, I'll recheck everything after some rides on it. Thanks for the feedback!

And I was over exaggerating the dead weight garbage thing for comedic affect.  Grin

WD, Will do!

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 04/24/14 at 14:32:29

thanks for sharing  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #5 - 05/02/14 at 21:49:34

not an exact weight, I had to weigh myself, then weigh myself with the mount. 1.5 - 2 lbs is what I got. So not a significant loss.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/02/14 at 22:18:12

You have any idea if the new muffler weighs less than the stock one? If so, youve got more weight gone than just 2 pounds..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/02/14 at 23:06:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/02/14 at 22:18:12:
You have any idea if the new muffler weighs less than the stock one? If so, youve got more weight gone than just 2 pounds..

A 16" Naval Shell weighs less than the stock muffler...  Grin

Pretty sure I blew the baffle to shreds in the stock muffler today... sounds like a washing machine with bad bearings.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #8 - 05/02/14 at 23:39:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/02/14 at 22:18:12:

yea i'm sure it does, but it's the one that was on it when I bought it, so for me that didn't change.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 11:03:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Losing Weight...or How I Removed A Muffler Bracket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.