Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Ipad addicts .....
05/01/14 at 05:18:01

Now I am going to poke some fun at Ipad people, so if you are one put your sense of humor on and if you need to correct me, feel free.  

I know shite about Ipads, although suddenly now I am now in charge of one.   (now two of them)

My wife is a college professor, she isn't stupid at all (she's smarter than I am) -- but she cares about inner workings of electronics about as much as she does about the care and upkeep of her car.

It's job is to work right -- or else.

She woke me up this morning, saying "Honey, my Ipad died -- can you get me another one?"

One cup of coffee later, I had her showing me the issue -- and it was real, nothing much was loading and what would load was slow as dog shite.

Looked like out of hard drive space/out of memory to me so we went looking.   My my my she has downloaded a bunch of crap over the years she has had the device.  "What don't you use any more?" and then she deleted the icons of the items like she was deleting the actual programs.  

(correction here, the wiggly x delete is delete, in as much as the Ipad will let you delete anything anyway)   We managed to open up a total of 4 gigs of  "hard drive" space after tossing what she didn't use any more.

So this morning I did two things, I ordered her a used 32 gig Ipad 2 (double her existing storeage memory) and I went through the steps to upgrade her IOS on her current device and I found where her memory resident items were listed and showed her what was eating up her 1 gig of systems memory.

She will now go to her Ipad expert at work to see about reclaiming part of that 1 gig of systems memory.

She is going to need two each Ipad2s for the same reason she has 3 Windows laptops --- so she can have one running and one backup ready at hand and one in the shop.

Now, the fun poking part -- last time she was so panicky and distraught over something it was our pre-teenage daughter that was bleeding.  

Them Ipads are SERIOUS business to those who are addicted to them.

« Last Edit: 05/01/14 at 09:17:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Ipad addicts .....
Reply #1 - 05/01/14 at 07:05:01

Second impressions on the Ipad 2 ---

Man, they surely get a whole lot of mileage out of a simple (not really very fast) dual core ARM processor, a single gig of operating systems memory and only 16 gigs of total storage space.

The bazillion softwares out there for Ipad are SLICK and tightly coded, but the interface itself is still as good or better than any other product out there.

I am impressed, Apple did a good job on that Ipad gimicky thingie.

My cell phone has a good bit more processor that the Ipad 2 has, yet the Ipad 2 seems so much more polished and equally as quick.

Features, it doesn't have the most modern stuff like talk to text -- but hey, neither does anything else built a year or two ago.

Apple wants you to go buy a new one to get your new features after a year or so, so they manipulate the hardware a little to make sure you will WANT to go buy a new one.

Android (Samsung/Google) tends to fully equip any first line device with all applicable hardwares, so any new tricks can be upgraded in software (and Google does, religiously).

Example, talk to text will happen soon for free on any Google software running on anybody's device that has a decent microphone.  

Google may indeed bring talk to text to the Ipad 2 before Apple does.

Cost of Ipad anything is still twice what you will pay for an equivalent Android Tablet -- but I doubt the Android will be as polished for user/ease/efficiency as the Ipad product will be.   Apple is good at what they do.

Google/Samsung is moving in on Apple though, they are not quite there yet but they are getting closer.

What Google/Samsung will eventually do is bring all the new features to anything that will run a Google browser, these features like talk to text that the older Apple products simply wouldn't get otherwise.

« Last Edit: 05/01/14 at 09:09:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/01/14 at 09:01:28

https://gigaom.com/2013/05/22/how-google-plans-to-rule-the-computing-world-throu
gh-chrome/

"In fact, I’d go so far as to say, within a year, many of you will be using a Chromebook.

Before you roll your eyes, let me add one caveat: That Chromebook won’t be Google-designed hardware; instead it will be on the Mac, Windows or Linux machine you have at that time."

Wink

Yup, it means all them Ipad 2 folks as well, the quick ones that are picking up some of them new state of the art feature bits by using Chrome Browser on Ipad IOS 7.xx  just to get them brand new tricks that Apple won't give them (mainly because Apple wants them to go buy an Ipad 3 or Ipad 4 instead).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/02/14 at 18:52:01

Yea being an electronics repair tech the iPads are quite well made, I'm not a fan of the Apple platform, but they have very good quality control and don't release products to customers till they function properly. Of course as with any software run tech they have had issues with updates and upgrades  Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 12:38:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ipad addicts .....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.