2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Octane?
Reply #15 - 04/20/14 at 07:32:48

oldNslow wrote on 04/20/14 at 06:33:19:
Astonishes me that people ignore the octane recommendations of of the bike manufacturer, often for all sorts of goofy reasons. Why would Honda,HD yamaha etc. etc mislead folks about something like that? Just use whatever the book says to use and quit worrying about it.  

The manufacturers recommend fuel grade based on 2 things, #1 is the pressure they get from "Big Oil", #2 is the actual requirements of the engine.

Easiest way to figure minimum octane requirement... if you know your compression ratio, say 8.5:1 for cheap small bikes, multiply it by 10 to get your minimum octane rating. In this case, 85, but most stations have a minimum pump octane rating of 87. In parts of the upper mid-west you can buy 85.5 to 86.5 octane, so, run it on those.

Putting higher than 87 in a Savage, unless you have a shaved barrel/head or domed piston, is a waste of money. 87 octane pure gas in my 98 was good for 70+ mpg, 91 octane modern blended gas was good for high 40s mpg... and that was back when it ran stock handlebars. With the 15" apes, it got 45 on real gas and 36 on modern gas.

The effort to get alcohol free gas is worth the extra cost. Running mid grade or premium in a glorified Briggs and Stratton engine is not.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 04/20/14 at 07:45:02

twelveport wrote on 04/20/14 at 06:41:27:
I'm not sure if anybody is "ignoring" what the owners manuals says. Most of the time when you buy a used bike it does not come with a owners manual so we have to rely on our own judgement or the opinions of others. That is why we come to this web site. Thankfully we have those who have checked into this before or have a owners manual.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. You're right . Questions like yours are exactly what this site is for.

I just get a kick out of these "octane" discussions. If one of these threads goes on long enough someone is sure to chime in with an anecdote like this:

"My Grandpappy had a old Ford pickup with a flathead motor in her. He used to drive that truck over to the airport and fill that sucker up with 105 octane avgas. Man, that old truck ran like a raped ape ! !. Fastest truck in the whole dern county!!" Roll Eyes

Sometime when you're not busy, go over to one of the Harley forums and read through one of the "octane wars" on there. You'll be amazed.

Anyway, sorry. Sometimes I'm a jerk. I can't help it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 04/20/14 at 08:36:46

twelveport wrote on 04/20/14 at 06:41:27:
Most of the time when you buy a used bike it does not come with a owners manual so we have to rely on our own judgement or the opinions of others. That is why we come to this web site. Thankfully we have those who have checked into this before or have a owners manual.

Thankfully, we have a copy of the owners manual that you can download in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 21:58:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Octane?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.