Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First Motorcycle an 88 Savage: Frustration (Read 262 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: First Motorcycle an 88 Savage: Frustration
Reply #15 - 04/17/14 at 15:38:13

You could have followed the instructions in the tech section and cleaned it yourself in a couple hours and been riding this weekend.

You didn't make a mistake.  The savage is a great bike.  Just read up.  Check out the things every savage newbie should know.  It's stickied at the top of the forum.

Don't be afraid to wrench on it a little.  It's a very simple bike.  If you get stuck or mess up, there's lots of knowledgeable help on here to get back where you need to be.  If possible, fix one thing at a time instead of several.  That way, if something is wrong, you'll know where to look.

It sounds like you've got a sticky/sticking float.  A good carb clean should get you squared away.

Have fun with your new bike.  Grin

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 04/18/14 at 05:22:36

Sketarius:

Go to your CPanel, and update your info to include where you live.

This will help us to know if anyone of us lives near you, and are close enough to either come over an help you......or send you to a reliable and trustworthy mechanic.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sketarius
YaBB Newbies

Wrestling With the
Cylinder

Fort Wayne, IN USA
Reply #17 - 04/19/14 at 15:58:20

I got the bike back much earlier. Everything went really nice and I felt like I was riding a new bike home. They turned the idle down which makes me nervous if not the for the fact it stalled at stops. This afternoon it was really nice and warm outside so I took it for a ride. 20 some miles I got home and put it up for a couple hours.

btw I haven't put in my new raptor petcock yet. I'll receive it on the 21st.

THEN:
So the engine cooled down and it's 5pm and it's now chilly outside. I was going to ride down to the local Mernards and help my Uncle with some things. I get out to the bike, start it (without choke) and without having it warm up for a couple minutes i instantly start riding. The minute I do this I think about the second stop sign I stall.

I restart the bike,  turn the bike around toward home and get there just in time with a stall. I check for gas leaking, but I don't see any. I pull the choke and start the bike. Bike idles rough for a few seconds until i turn the choke off I reach for the idle screw and turn it up. That seemed to fix it. However, I find it odd I rode pretty far around town for an hour and my idle seemed fine.

Was it the colder temperature? As I check the temp outside it's around 55, but the wind is making it chilly and the only warm thing outside is the Sun. My bike is under a shaded garage area and it's pretty cold under there.

So the carb is cleaned, I'm going to assume it's not that. Petcock is coming in mail so I have to wait to install that. So I'm a newbie to motorcycle mechanics and this bike seems pretty simple, but is the idle one of those things you just change if you feel your idle is low enough that stalls can occur?

It seems when I'm riding in a windy situation and I come to a stop sign or light the speed of the idle seems to have changed usually a little slower than just sitting there, and the hotter it gets sitting in place seems to get faster, or is the other way around?  Shocked I'm assuming temp affects that somehow.

So when the bike stalled today I was like, "oh here we go again". I'll have people look at it and when they ride it, it's perfectly fine. It seems whenever I'm alone that's when stuff starts to suck. Shifting is fine and I'm not killing the engine with clutch or anything like that. This is just a weird situation.

I seriously come to the conclusion that the bike absolutely positively doesn't like cold-ish, cold, or rain. How long am I going to sit on the bike just to warm it up? Even on a hot day, kinda makes me wonder.

theskynetproject   IP Logged
Sketarius
YaBB Newbies

Wrestling With the
Cylinder

Fort Wayne, IN USA
Reply #18 - 04/19/14 at 15:59:22

BTW When I go into CPanel I dont have any options to change my information. Any clues?

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 04/19/14 at 16:07:12

Sketarius wrote on 04/19/14 at 15:59:22:
BTW When I go into CPanel I dont have any options to change my information. Any clues?

Quote:
Using your Control Panel to fix things

Go to the top of the SuzukiSavage.com site and look for .....

Home    Help    Search    Members    Update Session   Cpanel/MyCenter    Login/out

Click on Cpanel or MyCenter (you will see just one but it differs per browser/version).   The entire page changes.

============

On the left hand side under VIEW you will now have    MESSAGES   PROFILE  POSTS

Click on PROFILE and the drop down list below it changes ......

============

Find OPTIONS on the new drop down list and click on it

...... you now get presented with the log in screen to make sure you are you.   Log in accordingly by typing in your password.

============

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #20 - 04/19/14 at 16:13:40

I had the same problems getting my bike back from a mechanic when I first got it. So... yes, turn the idle up. Run the petcock on prime and see if that helps. Chances are it will. That tells you that you need to change to the Raptor, but watch your gas because you won't have the reserve running it on "prime".  Plan on filling up at 80-100 miles to be safe.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #21 - 04/19/14 at 22:05:47

I don't know if anybody said it yet or not.  Idle should be 1,000 to 1,200 rpm.  About 9 to 10 mph in 1st gear on flat paved surface.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Sketarius
YaBB Newbies

Wrestling With the
Cylinder

Fort Wayne, IN USA
Reply #22 - 04/19/14 at 22:11:10

Not even sure if I can measure it. I have no Tach and really don't know how to measure it without one. (nor would i have a clue how to put one in)

Sketarius
YaBB Newbies

Wrestling With the
Cylinder

Fort Wayne, IN USA
Reply #23 - 04/20/14 at 15:59:16

Ok I have discovered fuel in the vacuum hose on the carbuerator, so I went a head and tried the petcock test and capped both ends of the petcock vacuum port and the carburetor vacuum port. Set the petcock to Prime, and rode it for like 3 seconds down the rode and died and couldnt get it started until i went ahead and connected the vacuum hose back on and set to ON. How does PRIME not work?!

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 14:18:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Motorcycle an 88 Savage: Frustration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.